RV/Toy Hauler/Racing Trailer/horse trailer

Cowbell

WKR
My wife is wanting a camper and I can't fathom the thought of owning one due to how cheap they are built. To compromise, Im looking into toy haulers and not the cheap camper ones.
I'm wanting a trailer we can take to some of our leases and use for a weekend and be able to throw in bikes and a SXS. I also would like it durable enough to take and use for base camping on western hunts. We have done this before with my aluminum stock trailers.
Would love to hear experiences from others on here. Im looking into A stouter built steel frame, aluminum sided cargo type trailer with living quarters. Im even open to a LQ horse trailer because they are built so well and hold their value. Brands I've found include ATC, shadow, sundowner, and featherlite.

The big horse trailer manufacturers do make custom toy trailers. Lot of people do use them for snowmobiles but they can be used for sxs’s also. Logan makes a great LQ toy trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the wife wants a camper, will she be happy in a Utility style trailer?

My ideal setup would be a nice car hauler with a bathroom and water tank, but the Mrs would not be so inclined to hang out at camp while I hunt.

If you have enough truck the Grand Design 23G toy hauler packs a lot into a reasonable footprint. Onboard generator, 30gal fuel tank and 100gal of fresh water…

Outdoors RV brand is great too, and built a bit better than most mainstream campers.

TheHammer

WKR
This is a rig I was working on a couple weeks ago. Trailer is 58’ front 22 plus neck is setup like a camper. Hauled an arca late model. Would easily fit multiple sxs or atvs. Obviously you aren’t looking for something this large but the concept applies. There are some pretty nice car trailers with living setups.

Attachments

• IMG_1920.jpeg
    IMG_1920.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1921.jpeg
    IMG_1921.jpeg
    860.5 KB · Views: 37

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
This is a rig I was working on a couple weeks ago. Trailer is 58’ front 22 plus neck is setup like a camper. Hauled an arca late model. Would easily fit multiple sxs or atvs. Obviously you aren’t looking for something this large but the concept applies. There are some pretty nice car trailers with living setups.
Sweet set up brother

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

OP
C

Cowbell

WKR
If the wife wants a camper, will she be happy in a Utility style trailer?

My ideal setup would be a nice car hauler with a bathroom and water tank, but the Mrs would not be so inclined to hang out at camp while I hunt.

If you have enough truck the Grand Design 23G toy hauler packs a lot into a reasonable footprint. Onboard generator, 30gal fuel tank and 100gal of fresh water…

Outdoors RV brand is great too, and built a bit better than most mainstream campers.
Oh yeah my wife hunts the mountains with me so she's down. She also realizes they are built way better.

wesfromky

WKR
You might check out InTech RV and Colorado Trailers (https://www.coloradotrailersinc.com/). There are much more durable RVs out there, they just are not usually found at the local RV dealerships. If you get a chance, try to hit up one of the overland expo shows - might see some different setups.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
while most horse trailers are solid and not cheap they are very heavy.

add to that most have a center post in the back for the doors to lock up to which precludes getting a 4x in. some have a removable center post, but compare weights.

also consider the bumper pull vs gooseneck. they handle differently in tight spots.

the best and most versatile rigs i have been in were racing trailers. solid and strong and nice inside with the most room for bikes and stuff.

I bought a small 6' x 12' x 6.5' tall Cargomate cargo trailer. I custom ordered it with 1" insulation in the roof and walls, plywood over the insulation, an RV style 3' wide man-door with a window and screen door, key lock outside and flip-lock inside. Also two 30"x30" sliding windows that are screened and open halfway. Floor is 3/4" ply and could be insulated but don't think it was an option from Cargomate.

Rear stabilizing jacks that prevent it from tipping back if disconnected from the truck, allow you to use the front jack to change a tire, help with leveling, etc. Also the front jack was a special folding screw jack that folds up so it is out of the way when connected to the truck. 8 tie downs inside for the RZR or Grizzly.

Would be too small for your purpose (figure out how big you want or need it), but works great for me for a one man camping trailer. I haul the RZR or quad into the back country over rough logging roads every spring while bear hunting. I did get the Dexter axle mounted on taller spring shackles so the trailer ground clearance matches my stock F350 (it is higher than my F150) as most cargo trailers are quite low and with their overhang length, vulnerable to damage from dragging, etc. No issues with that with the 5" tall shackles.

Also ordered 15" tires higher rated radial tires on the unit with a spare.

Camping is done with a folding chairs, cot and table, camp stove , 5-gallon water jug, cooler, etc.

Very versatile as I moved a lot of mounted heads and furniture from CO to BC in the unit. Came in handy during our home build as a field office as well as for hauling landscape materials and trees locally.

As I remember all the options noted above added about $1,000 to the new purchase price (20%) 9 years ago when I got the trailer from a dealer in the Idaho panhandle. Much better and easier than modifying a likely unsuitable used cargo trailer.

Good luck!