Outdoor sprinkler PVB

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
ucsdryder, if you were close enough I would come over and help you with your learning curve. If you haven't started your repairs yet you will want to wrap the fitting coming from the house with a wet rag first to keep, what I assume is wood siding, from getting scorched. Solder melts at pretty low temps though. If your supply line is split, you can tap the split area back down to close the gap and then clean it with emery paper, add your flux and slowly add your solder to fill it in. Just don't get the copper to hot or you solder will run off it. They also should have added a union on your supply line before your back flow valve in case you ever had to replace it unless there's enough room to spin it off the supply line. We're rooting for you.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
ucsdryder, if you were close enough I would come over and help you with your learning curve. If you haven't started your repairs yet you will want to wrap the fitting coming from the house with a wet rag first to keep, what I assume is wood siding, from getting scorched. Solder melts at pretty low temps though. If your supply line is split, you can tap the split area back down to close the gap and then clean it with emery paper, add your flux and slowly add your solder to fill it in. Just don't get the copper to hot or you solder will run off it. They also should have added a union on your supply line before your back flow valve in case you ever had to replace it unless there's enough room to spin it off the supply line. We're rooting for you.
Wait a minute. 😝

Are you saying I can use flux to fix the cracked copper pipe? I was planning on replacing a section of the pipe with new copper pipe. Is fixing the crack a temporary fix? I have all the supplies to replace the section of pipe. Is one fix longer lasting?

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
If you layer it slowly you can fill it then test it to see if it holds and it can be permanent. Closing the gap on the split is key and getting it clean. Ball peen hammer to gently bend it back to form. It would be real easy with an oxygen/acetylene torch but you can do it with flux and solder, 95/5. The old lead solder worked really well. You can start to heat it up slowly and move your torch to heat it up and follow with the solder melting, just don't overheat or it will just run off. Reflux the area if needed as you go to help spread th esolder. It may not be pretty but it'll hold. You can heat it up and wipe it off with a clean rag and start over if needed but you probably wont need to. If all else fails follow your original plans and replace.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Replacing the damage part is always the best way to go. But. I have made many repairs on cracked lines. A new section of copper pipe and two couplings. Depending on weather or. not you can get the pipes far enough apart, You may need slip couplings, ones with noe stop in the middle.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
Also make sure your shutoff inside the house isn’t leaking. Another thing that is necessary is to put shutoffs on PVB at a 45 degree angle after blowout each year.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Next thing you know you will be out piping high rise apartments.. good job.

Not sure about that, but I did also break some pvc pipe. This is in my wheel house tho! 😝

Attachments

• IMG_1867.jpeg
    IMG_1867.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 10