Outdoorsman adapter and what tripod on a budget? 10x42 effectiveness?

OP
T
I stand and glass 50% of the time with 12’s and am 6’.

My favorite value tripods are the SLIK 633 CF and 634 - the 633 requires less adjustment but doesn’t collapse as small as the 634 so you’ll have to store in it a main compartment or outside the bag.

They are both ultralight and stable enough for 12’s or 15’s.

If I could only have one it would be the 633 as less adjustment for the same height just saves time.

So with them having a height of roughly 64 inches, it’s tall enough for you to glass standing and not be bending over the whole time? Also, did you have the 3,4, or 5 section?

So with them having a height of roughly 64 inches, it’s tall enough for you to glass standing and not be bending over the whole time? Also, did you have the 3,4, or 5 section?

No bending or stooping ever with the pistol grip. It’s about level with a standard tripod head.

The 633 is the 3 section, the 634 is the 4 section. I prefer the 3 section but it doesn’t fit in my SG spotter pockets.

OP
T
No bending or stooping ever with the pistol grip. It’s about level with a standard tripod head.

The 633 is the 3 section, the 634 is the 4 section. I prefer the 3 section but it doesn’t fit in my SG spotter pockets.

And what mounting head do you run with it?

So you just run the pistol grip and no other pan head or anything else? Does this allow you to use a spotter also or no?

Just the grip. Keep it simple... though... Its not great for a spotter. I’d run their micro pan in addition, if I used a spotter more.

The new model, CF633, the CF before the #, has improved leg locks too. The less sections the sturdier as well

Slik tripods are 10% off right now, thru Friday for Shot Show

Call and mention Rokslide

Agree with what has been said above. I carried my 10s on my chest and glassed off-hand for years and putting them on a tripod changed my life. I almost never stand while glassing...I'm usually nestled in somewhere trying to stay out of sight but will fully acknowledge that if you are ridge running or scouting from the road/truck, a full height tripod is probably a necessity at least half the time.

If you can swing it on your budget, the Outdoorsman's Pistol Grip + bino adapter system is a deadly combo. But there are lots of good tripod heads in the $100 range. Benro, manfrotto, and others all have some good options. Since I typically grid when I glass, I am biased towards a pan head rather than a ball head.

Slick 633/34 if you want a carbon tripod. The Vortex Summit is a great budget tripod but honestly you can likely do pretty good pricewise if you call Doug or Joel at cameraland as they frequently do bulk buys on Promaster and other decent tripods.

OP
T
Agree with what has been said above. I carried my 10s on my chest and glassed off-hand for years and putting them on a tripod changed my life. I almost never stand while glassing...I'm usually nestled in somewhere trying to stay out of sight but will fully acknowledge that if you are ridge running or scouting from the road/truck, a full height tripod is probably a necessity at least half the time.

If you can swing it on your budget, the Outdoorsman's Pistol Grip + bino adapter system is a deadly combo. But there are lots of good tripod heads in the $100 range. Benro, manfrotto, and others all have some good options. Since I typically grid when I glass, I am biased towards a pan head rather than a ball head.

Slick 633/34 if you want a carbon tripod. The Vortex Summit is a great budget tripod but honestly you can likely do pretty good pricewise if you call Doug or Joel at cameraland as they frequently do bulk buys on Promaster and other decent tripods.

Isnt rhe pistol grip a ball head?