Outdoorsmans Packs

Outdoorsmans_Dan

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Roksliders,

We at Outdoorsmans are looking for some input on our packs and tripods from the folks who use them the most – you!
Since this is the Backpacks section, we'll keep this discussion focused on our packs and create a separate thread for tripods under the Optics section.
What we'd like to know:
1. What do you like about our packs? ex. materials, buckles, compartments, capacity, colors, other features
2. What don't you like about our packs? ex. materials, buckles, compartments, capacity, colors, other features
3. What would you like to see Outdoorsmans offer in our packs / soft goods line of products?
4. What camo pattern would you like to see on Outdoorsmans products?

Last edited:

JWP58

WKR
I'd like you to offer the spur bag for sale. I have a molle gen iv frame (wilderness specialties bighorn frame) and I'd like use the spur bag with it (I also have the wilderness specialties suspension on it). I like outdoorsmans packs. They are durable and the bags are great. But I think where you lose most people is the weight and the lack of load lifter function. But I really enjoyed my outdoorsmans optic pack and always kick myself for selling it.

P.s. camo is overrated. Brown, od green, and multi cam is all you need.

I had the optics hunter for a little over a year. My honest feedback as follows: the pack was built well, materials seemed to be fairly decent quality. I didn’t like the weight of the pack. It was heavy. The material of the bag was quite but heavy. The belt wasn’t very comfortable under a load more than 35ish pounds. The lack of load lifters and ability to make the pack comfortable under loads was the reason I ended up selling it. The overall pocket layout and size of pockets worked. The camo patterns and other colors are good. Some may say Sitka or Kryptek but i don’t mind the solids. For a future pack: the addition of load lifters, a better belt, and lighter weight pack. Thanks for letting us share.

Last edited:

Mosby

WKR
I have an Optics Hunter. I really like the layout. I like to keep things organized and the pack layout works for me. I can get my spotting scope, tripods etc into w/o any problems The bag is well made. I have used it for over night 3-4 day trips and carrying out quarters etc. I really wanted the bag to work but...the bag empty is a bit heavy and it really doesn't carry heavy loads as well as other packs I have. The waist belt slips on me when carrying heavy loads and this past year it about killed me carrying out a large quarter. Going forward, I am keeping the pack for scouting\glassing trips out west and carrying tree stands around back east but I am buying a new bag before fall for multi day hunts.

OP
Outdoorsmans_Dan

Outdoorsmans_Dan

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd like you to offer the spur bag for sale. I have a molle gen iv frame (wilderness specialties bighorn frame) and I'd like use the spur bag with it (I also have the wilderness specialties suspension on it). I like outdoorsmans packs. They are durable and the bags are great. But I think where you lose most people is the weight and the lack of load lifter function. But I really enjoyed my outdoorsmans optic pack and always kick myself for selling it.

P.s. camo is overrated. Brown, od green, and multi cam is all you need.

JWP58,
Thanks for the feedback. The reason we do not offer a bag-only option for the Spur 50 is that the frame is different from the rest of our packs.

OP
Outdoorsmans_Dan

Outdoorsmans_Dan

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Everyone else,
Your feedback is invaluable to us, so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are working on improving the design of our packs and suspension, and hearing from you is a big part of that. Common issues mentioned in this thread of belt slippage, load lifters, and ergonomics will all be taken into consideration during this process thanks to your comments. Thanks again for sharing!

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
I have had an optics pack for several years. echo what most said on here about the belt, carrying heavy loads, lumbar support, no load lifters, weight of pack, etc... For me, I would add that for me, I want to be able to separate the bag from the frame for a meat shelf to keep gear and meat separate. Also carrying weight comfortably is huge for me. Have had 2 back surgeries and need to save my back for my job.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any Outdoorsmans products yet, but I really like the Spur 50 for what it is designed for. I'll own one eventually, but a bigger priority right now is a multi day Ruck type pack.
A buddy of mine bought the Optics Hunter, which I plan to try out and see if I like it, but I see it's been discontinued. Replaced by the Palisade 90 sort of. I feel like the Optics Hunter really filled a niche with its features and price point. The Palisade has a couple more features, but it's $100 more than the very similar Optics hunter, which makes it very close in price to lighter weight higher end packs. So I'm still thinking about that.

I do love the new OD Green that the Palisade comes in though. I'd be more likely to get that than any other camo pattern.

Outdoorsmans_Blake

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I have had an optics pack for several years. echo what most said on here about the belt, carrying heavy loads, lumbar support, no load lifters, weight of pack, etc... For me, I would add that for me, I want to be able to separate the bag from the frame for a meat shelf to keep gear and meat separate. Also carrying weight comfortably is huge for me. Have had 2 back surgeries and need to save my back for my job.

Hello bhowren,

Thank you for your feedback on the packs we will take all of these suggestions into consideration during our product development meetings. While the Optics Hunter did not pull away from the frame we recently came out with the Spur 50 and the Palisade 90 which both pull away from the frame and utilize the meat shelf! Also for your back pain maybe check out the Lumbar support pad for extra stability and cushion in that hip belt!

Outdoorsmans_Blake

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't have any Outdoorsmans products yet, but I really like the Spur 50 for what it is designed for. I'll own one eventually, but a bigger priority right now is a multi day Ruck type pack.
A buddy of mine bought the Optics Hunter, which I plan to try out and see if I like it, but I see it's been discontinued. Replaced by the Palisade 90 sort of. I feel like the Optics Hunter really filled a niche with its features and price point. The Palisade has a couple more features, but it's $100 more than the very similar Optics hunter, which makes it very close in price to lighter weight higher end packs. So I'm still thinking about that.

I do love the new OD Green that the Palisade comes in though. I'd be more likely to get that than any other camo pattern.

Hello Dave0317,

That's awesome to hear about your buddy running our packs, definitely give it a try and let us know what you think.
We did discontinue the Optics Hunter for Palisade 90 because we felt the Optics Hunter was just missing a few features! On the Palisade 90 bag, we added a quick detach buckle on the bottom of the pack for the quick disconnect to put meat or a dry bag behind the frame! This pack also has tripod side pockets like the Optics Hunter but this bag completely pulls away from the frame! Thanks for your input we appreciate any suggestions we can get.

I have the long range pack. I love the pocket on top for 15s and the tripod straps on the sides. The belt rubs my hips pretty raw and I wish there were load lifters when carrying weight. I routed the compression straps around the outside so it packs down really small for day hunts, just stays heavy. It's definitely durable, well-built, and well-priced; but the belt, load lifters, and weight are significant drawbacks for me.

Outdoorsmans_Blake

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the long range pack. I love the pocket on top for 15s and the tripod straps on the sides. The belt rubs my hips pretty raw and I wish there were load lifters when carrying weight. I routed the compression straps around the outside so it packs down really small for day hunts, just stays heavy. It's definitely durable, well-built, and well-priced; but the belt, load lifters, and weight are significant drawbacks for me.

Hello tallbuchholz,

Thanks for your input on the pack, those slots on the side are for adjustability to your specific body frame! Feel free to play around with the hip belt to see if that works and feels better. You can also call us at 1-800-291-8065 and one of the guys at the shop can talk you through it!

Mcmahonff

FNG
I guess I am late to the party, but found this thread during a search.

I've had an Optics Hunter pack for years. I love it. The weight of the pack does not bother me much, as you can tell this thing is durable, and built to haul a big load without fear of damaging anything like some packs made of lighter material. Couldn't care less about you offering any other camo patterns either. I like that your packs are robust and simple.

My feedback is this, some which you have heard already - Load lifters don't lift much, they simply pull the load snug to the back which helps with the weight bouncing but doesn't do much for getting weight off of your shoulders unless you cinch the hip belt very tight. Secondly, the hip belt could use a little more padding near the bottom of the belt.

My final suggestion would be this - route the compression straps underneath of the water bottle pockets and tripod pockets so that one can have the pack compressed but still access tripod/spotter/water bottles easily.

Would be nice to have accessory hip belt pouches available as well as your webbing is somewhat uniquely sized.

I still use this pack daily, but I have ordered a pack from another company that I will be trying out. I have to say I am somewhat emotionally attached to the Outdoorsmans pack because of the hikes i have been able to make with my 3 year old hiking partner on my pack. Not a consideration for most on here, but this bag hauls a toddler better than I can imagine any other pack does.

Cheers to Outdoorsmans, thanks for looking for user feedback.

Roksliders,

We at Outdoorsmans are looking for some input on our packs and tripods from the folks who use them the most – you!
Since this is the Backpacks section, we'll keep this discussion focused on our packs and create a separate thread for tripods under the Optics section.
What we'd like to know:
1. What do you like about our packs? ex. materials, buckles, compartments, capacity, colors, other features
2. What don't you like about our packs? ex. materials, buckles, compartments, capacity, colors, other features
3. What would you like to see Outdoorsmans offer in our packs / soft goods line of products?
4. What camo pattern would you like to see on Outdoorsmans products?

I've been running the optics pack for around 5 years now and honestly it has held up and performed in every application. I've hauled full boned out mule deer and 3 + days of gear 8 plus miles over rough Idaho terrain and have packed quite a few bears out of the Washington mountains. The only thing missing for me was the inability to put meat in between the frame and pack which I see was solved now with the newer long range packs. I made my own straps and buckles to allow me to do the same and will eventually buy the newer long range bag. Beyond impressed with variability and comfort of the pack and it will be my go to system for years to come.

Last edited: