Outfitter/Guide recommendation

Olaf76

FNG
I will have 12 points for Wyoming going into 2024. Should I just wait or go with a great archery tag? I'M hoping for an opportunity at a nice trophy bull ( 350 plus), but want a quality experience as well. I know nothing is guaranteed. Have done OTC all my life. Never hunted Wyoming before. Am approaching 60 and want to treat myself.

LaHunter

WKR
350” bull is a very high expectation in most any public land unit in WY. Doable, but odds are not high. There are a few limited draw units where that may be reasonable, but they are max points units. Private land may be a different story, but with a higher price tag

OP
O

Olaf76

FNG
350” bull is a very high expectation in most any public land unit in WY. Doable, but odds are not high. There are a few limited draw units where that may be reasonable, but they are max points units. Private land may be a different story, but with a higher price tag
In the places I hont have never had a bull come in over 300. Just once I would like to see a nice mature bull. 350 would be a once in a lifetime bull for me . I would be just as happy with a nice mature 6. So are you recommending I wait for more points? Thank you for the information

LaHunter

WKR
At 60 years old I would recommend going hunting, not waiting. You will likely never improve your ‘drawing potential’ by buying more points due to point creep. We all want a 350 bull, but in reality they are rare on public land. A 300” bull is an awesome bull, in my opinion. I think a 310-320 bull is a reasonable goal for many outfitters in WY, and you can have a great experience.

OP
O

Olaf76

FNG
At 60 years old I would recommend going hunting, not waiting. You will likely never improve your ‘drawing potential’ by buying more points due to point creep. We all want a 350 bull, but in reality they are rare on public land. A 300” bull is an awesome bull, in my opinion. I think a 310-320 bull is a reasonable goal for many outfitters in WY, and you can have a great experience.
Good to know. Again I am looking for a solid experience. Mountains and long days do not scare me. Just don't want to waste my money. I know nothing is guaranteed. That's why we love the hunt. Memories happen in a variety of ways

Up your budget and go on a ranch hunt and you get better odds of getting lucky with a 350 class bull but I wouldn't go into any hunt thinking it's likely.

Ralphie

WKR
350 bulls take lots of money, lots of points, lots of luck, or lots of skill and effort. Or some combination.

You don’t have lots of points and your budget isn’t high enough. I’ll let you decide if you have the luck or skill and effort.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Trails West Outfitters has a consistent track record of killing nice bulls. Not certain a 350” class bull is realistic, but it’d be worth checking into.

OP
O

Olaf76

FNG
I am realizing that. I would be more interested in knowledge and a great experience.

Ralphie

WKR
I think Trails West has a great record of good hunts and good bulls. In this case I don’t think the points and budget fit.

If a good experience and hunt is priority over a 350” bull you have quite a few options. Upping the budget a little would still help depending on what you choose.

OP
O

Olaf76

FNG
Thank you. Do you know anyone who has hunted with them? Even If I did not harvest I would love a great experience

I am realizing that. I would be more interested in knowledge and a great experience.
Look at some of these hunts below and you will get a good idea of what the going rate is for various classes of trophy potential. There are guys who have killed 330+ bulls on $6K wilderness hunts in WY (I know one), but it's pure luck, and the exception not the rule.... for every one of those, there might be 30 other hunters come through that same camp who either went home empty handed, killed a raghorn, or maybe got a 280 class bull.