Outfitter recommendations New Mexico 16 D early archery

Drew the 16 D early archery as a non resident first time applying. Any info on good outfitters? I’m from Kentucky and trying to make the most out of probably a once and a lifetime draw for me. I’ve contacted a few guides already. Triple C David Mathews and Hunt Hard. All sound great but any info anyone has would be great

Anyone but David Mathews. Had a bad experience with him 2 years ago in 16D. Very uninvolved bordering on lazy. He ranks at the bottom of my outfitter experiences. My guide was struggling and he didn't help and spent all his time helping his nephew guide the other client in camp who had never hunted elk and couldn't walk. If you book with him and get his nephew as a guide you might be okay. Other than that good luck.

OP
Lineman167
Ok thanks for the heads up. I think I’m down to a couple guides. So hopefully I have a good experience

Mathews

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone but David Mathews. Had a bad experience with him 2 years ago in 16D. Very uninvolved bordering on lazy. He ranks at the bottom of my outfitter experiences. My guide was struggling and he didn't help and spent all his time helping his nephew guide the other client in camp who had never hunted elk and couldn't walk. If you book with him and get his nephew as a guide you might be okay. Other than that good luck.
Pretty sad of you to tell a one sided story like that without the outfitter knowing you’re bashing him behind his back.

This is the nephew by the way.

I could get dozens of happy clients to reply with their experiences with David and your guide Greg. I could also post dozens of pictures of bulls Greg’s hunters have killed. David’s client cancelled last minute before the hunt started and he didn’t want to take away mine or Greg’s hunts so he decided to glass a different area than we were hunting. Never once did David specifically hunt with me and my client. You and your guide were in elk all 5 days, you left that part out. The way you talk about my client, a woman, and her lack of experience hunting elk is sad. It’s quite indicative of your character as a whole actually.

You left out the part where YOU got MAD my boss didnt pull me and my client off of an elk I found so YOU could hunt it because you thought you were in better shape and a better shot.

You came in with some weird ego expecting everyone in camp to kiss your ass because you had hunted elk for 25 years and you played pro tennis? Don’t place the blame on us for such a “bad hunt” when you come in with the attitude and arrogance you showed up with.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty sad of you to tell a one sided story like that without the outfitter knowing you’re bashing him behind his back.

This is the nephew by the way.

I could get dozens of happy clients to reply with their experiences with David and your guide Greg. I could also post dozens of pictures of bulls Greg’s hunters have killed. David’s client cancelled last minute before the hunt started and he didn’t want to take away mine or Greg’s hunts so he decided to glass a different area than we were hunting. Never once did David specifically hunt with me and my client. You and your guide were in elk all 5 days, you left that part out. The way you talk about my client, a woman, and her lack of experience hunting elk is sad. It’s quite indicative of your character as a whole actually.

You left out the part where YOU got MAD my boss didnt pull me and my client off of an elk I found so YOU could hunt it because you thought you were in better shape and a better shot.

You came in with some weird ego expecting everyone in camp to kiss your ass because you had hunted elk for 25 years and you played pro tennis? Don’t place the blame on us for such a “bad hunt” when you come in with the attitude and arrogance you showed up with.
I don't think you did your uncle any favors by rolling in the mud and finger pointing. As frustrating as it may be it just does not come off as professional.

Regardless both of you have given your opinions so now it's time for everyone to move on.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Ok Doug I've let it slide for the last time! I've seen you bad mouth my outfit, DMO, about this BS and I'm going to tell the true story.

First of all you said in other post that we went zero percent that week. That was a lie. We had a guy shoot a 340-350 bull at long range early in the hunt. Knocked it down. Had to get up to it and finish it off. That was the first event that set you off! Insert your expert rant about people shooting at long range. Second of all I was guiding another hunt across the state that was the same time as your hunt. I finished early and then hauled butt back to the Gila to assist my remaining hunters. Which was you and a husband and wife (only the wife had a tag). Keep in mind the wife had a Barbary hunt going on at the same time as her 16D elk hunt. So when I showed up I figured I would start to assist them and add a little extra help so they could kill 2 birds with one stone and get to hunt Barbary also. My plan from day one was to help them for 1.5 days and help you for 1.5 days.

You and your guide had seen a big bull from long range and were trying to get better angle of him and move quite a bit closer the first couple days. The other hunter had seen and passed a couple studs by the time I got there which had you all flustered because we didn't "make" her shoot one. You wanted me to force her to kill one of the elk they had glassed up because she had never killed an elk before! That's not how I run my outfit. We make suggestions, hunters make decisions.

First day back on the Gila, I drove out and climbed up a hill in the area that my nephew had scouted some big bulls in and I glassed up a few dang nice bulls. That evening found us in the same area and I glassed a big bull right at dark that was a no brainer. It was too late for them to move in for the shot so we videoed him until dark. The next morning which was my last half day helping them, we didn't glass the giant from the night before. We did glass a few other big bulls. One of which was a super sweet 7x6 that was 340 type and it basically bedded 300 yards below my nephew. I talked to my nephew and we decided to ask you if you would like to come into where they were hunting to shoot this bull. I showed you video and you said immediately with out hesitation YES!!!! My nephew and his hunter stayed on their glassing point hoping they would turn the other big bull up mid day. So you and your guide drove in and started to climb the hill they were on. I went back to the glassing point I had been on. By the time you guys had arrived the bull you were going to shoot had already gotten up and moved deeper into the canyon. As you were headed up the hill my nephew spotted the bull they wanted to kill and started to move off after him. They set up and took a couple cracks at the big bull. Unfortunately they missed 2 times. They were long range shots. They had set up in a flat spot where they could see him. If they would have dropped off the hill to get closer they would have lost all elevation to see him. So they set up having enough time and the right equipment to make the shot, but they missed. It happens to the best of us. After the shot their bull disappeared over the ridge but the bull you had come to shoot started making his way up the other side of the canyon. At this point you and your guide hustled down the ridge trying to get an angle on this bull. Unfortunately we ran out of light before you could get a crack at him.

This puts us at the last day of the season. We all sat down and came up with a game plan for the last day. The spot my nephew was hunting had several bulls that you would have shot in a heart beat and only 1 bull the others wanted to shoot. So we decided to spread out in this area and get both bulls killed. Well easier said than done. Next morning had sightings of bulls but they were running in all directions with multiple people on different ridges. So I called everyone out mid morning, told them to back out of the area before the place was completely shot for the last evening hunt. That's when you lost your mind. You went back to camp and decided you had enough. You were packing up and you were leaving! I wont go into the details about our conversation because you bad mouthed everyone in my camp including me. Despite your tantrum, I overlooked your anger and encouraged you to stay for the last evening hunt. The last evening came and went without killing a bull. That's the 100% truth of your hunt with DMO. Your piss poor attitude and worrying about what everyone else is doing or not doing is getting in the way of your success!

Now I want to clear up a few more things about you bad mouthing us on different threads.

1. It should not matter what physical shape other hunters are in. My guides are briefed on the physical restrictions of their hunters well before the hunt even starts. In fact you clearly listed your physical abilities on the health and fitness form you were sent with your contract just like my other hunters did. Fortunately, you were in great shape and didn't need your guide to help carry anything. In response to your post on another thread, it's not total BS if the guide carries their hunters gear up and down the hill for them when physical restrictions come into play. That's between my guide and his hunter. In no way shape or form does this affect YOU or the quality of your hunt!

2. If someone says they can make long shots and are trained to do so and show up with the proper equipment, that also doesn't effect YOUR hunt! Addressing another thread.... Has DMO let hunters take a few long shots at critters? Yes we have, but its always a calculated risk that we do not take lightly. We don't tell our guys "hey you know what? This critter is too close, lets back up and shoot at long range". NOT HAPPENING! Have animals been wounded at long range? Yes they have. Have animals been wounded at close range? Yes they have! That's the risk we all take when hunting.

3. Your opinion on what other clients should shoot in camp because its their first bull or 100th bull is just that, YOUR opinion! You have no right to decide what other people should shoot! EVER! Mind you own business please.

4. Addressing another thread... your "clueless guide" has been successfully guiding on the Gila for 15+ years and continues to kill some of the biggest bulls annually.

Like I said when we talked last. I wish you much success on your future hunting adventures.

I don't think you did your uncle any favors by rolling in the mud and finger pointing. As frustrating as it may be it just does not come off as professional.

Regardless both of you have given your opinions so now it's time for everyone to move on.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Rolling in the mud and pointing fingers is just that. HE has been bad mouthing me for 2 years. I've looked past it on every occasion. It's time to tell the other side of the story.

I would contact Ryan Nogosek @ A3 Trophy Hunts. Ryan is a dedicated, hard working and just down right honest guy.

My friend drew a 2nd season muzzy tag this year so chances are I may be back.

Ryan can be reached at 928-899-7404

J78

FNG
I would also give two big thumbs up for A3 New Mexico. Ryan and his guides are first class guys in every way. I hunted 2018 twice with him once in 34 with my daughter on youth elk hunt and also for myself in 5b for mule deer. I’m am giving my recommendation although neither hunt ended in harvesting of an animal. Ryan kept me informed constantly ahead of the hunts on what they had been scouting and sending pics. Both guides were in contact with me ahead of time. In the case of my daughters hunt two more guides came over during the hunt that had finished with other clients a helped with her hunt at no additional charge to me. Everyone I encountered with A3 was not only professional but also passionate about what they were doing. My mule deer guide was a young man by the name of Ethan, an absolute professional and joy to send a week with. 3 years later I’m still in contact with him sharing hunting stories. Last year two of my kids drew pronghorn tags, all though I was doing self guided hunt Ethan was able to give me a few pointers that really helped out and even though he had never hunted pronghorn before both my kiddos were successful on opening day on public land pronghorn. Both the hunts with A3 were absolutely successful even with out a harvest. In the case of my daughters elk hunt we were covered up in bugling bulls ever day. Twice my daughter missed shots on nice bulls. I guess nerves got to her no fault of our guys and we also passed on smaller bulls. Hunt of a lifetime to spend 5 days in the elk woods with her. On my mule deer hunt I went an with expectation of I was only going to shoot a giant or nothing. The weather didn’t help us and although we saw lots of bucks and a few really nice ones I never saw the buck I was looking for. The other two hunters sharing camp with me both harvested 180” mule deer. Needless to say if I will recommend someone that I spent that type of money with and didn’t harvest on either hunt that should tell you all you need to know. First class outfit and first class people.

I would also give two big thumbs up for A3 New Mexico. Ryan and his guides are first class guys in every way. I hunted 2018 twice with him once in 34 with my daughter on youth elk hunt and also for myself in 5b for mule deer. I’m am giving my recommendation although neither hunt ended in harvesting of an animal. Ryan kept me informed constantly ahead of the hunts on what they had been scouting and sending pics. Both guides were in contact with me ahead of time. In the case of my daughters hunt two more guides came over during the hunt that had finished with other clients a helped with her hunt at no additional charge to me. Everyone I encountered with A3 was not only professional but also passionate about what they were doing. My mule deer guide was a young man by the name of Ethan, an absolute professional and joy to send a week with. 3 years later I’m still in contact with him sharing hunting stories. Last year two of my kids drew pronghorn tags, all though I was doing self guided hunt Ethan was able to give me a few pointers that really helped out and even though he had never hunted pronghorn before both my kiddos were successful on opening day on public land pronghorn. Both the hunts with A3 were absolutely successful even with out a harvest. In the case of my daughters elk hunt we were covered up in bugling bulls ever day. Twice my daughter missed shots on nice bulls. I guess nerves got to her no fault of our guys and we also passed on smaller bulls. Hunt of a lifetime to spend 5 days in the elk woods with her. On my mule deer hunt I went an with expectation of I was only going to shoot a giant or nothing. The weather didn’t help us and although we saw lots of bucks and a few really nice ones I never saw the buck I was looking for. The other two hunters sharing camp with me both harvested 180” mule deer. Needless to say if I will recommend someone that I spent that type of money with and didn’t harvest on either hunt that should tell you all you need to know. First class outfit and first class people.
J78,

My friend had a 2nd season muzzy tag last year and Ethan was his guide. Ethan was in the camp the three times I have been there and he is a great guy. I have described to my friends that if you had to draw straws for a guide each morning, no one got the short straw ! They are all just that darn hard working.

Case in point, when one guide tags out his hunter he does not sleep in or stay back. He helps out the others....that says alot right there.

Reactions: J78