Outhouse questions

I live in the Copper Valley and during breakup, my hole fills with water.
Then gradually goes down through summer.
It does not overflow but can get 3/4 full.
There is a piece of culvert that is 4 FT. in diameter by 10 FT. deep that is in the hole and the house sits on top of it.
I have seen this design in some of the state campgrounds before, built to last.

CorbLand

WKR
I know nothing about building outhouses but we have a cabin that doesn’t have running water in the winter, so outhouse it is. It gets used about 2 weeks or so a year by 5-10 people. My grandpa built it back in the late 70s. Dug a hole, probably 4-5 feet deep. It’s still in the same spot and hasn’t ever filled up. We just let it naturally break down.

Second the light suggestion and am very jealous you will have a heater.

I want something that’s big enough to move around in comfortably (even for large people, even though we are not), clean, bug free in the summer and warm in the winter, smells good, and an overall pleasant and inviting experience. Basically something that you might even look forward to going to as opposed to dreading. I know that it may seem I’m putting a little too much thought and effort into it, but I’ve experienced some real shit hole outhouses (as I’m sure most everyone on here probably has as well), and I don’t want ours to be anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When i did the Iron Dog this last winter, i ate something i should not have. At the Nikolai checkpoint, i used the "city hall" bathroom, i was never so happy to see a bathroom and extremely disgusted at the same time. Why your post reminded me of that, i am not sure.

jimh406

WKR
I wouldn't do it. Cleanup would not be fun for me.

Considering buying a portable cassette toilet or composting toilet.