Oware 11x11 Pyramid Tarp

Checking to see if anyone has any good or bad experiences with the Oware 11x11 Pyramid Tarp. Anybody added a stove jack to one?

I'm interested in picking up a relatively lightweight tipi, with room to stand up and walk a little in, for a good price so I can take a family of 5 backpacking. Looks like one can be had for under $400 with additional tie outs and center pole.

bbrown

WKR
attachment.php

Don't have any experience with the 11' x 11' but I really like my 9' x 9'. I also have a 12' x 12' (I think??) canvas tipi from Davis tent for car camping or horse back and it is perfect for 2 guys and gear.

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 328

bbrown

WKR
Nope - Dave was decent to deal with and no problems with durability. The night after I snapped the picture above we ended up with some nasty winds and it held up great. We were camped basically on top of the divide and not much shelter from the wind but it shed it pretty well.
I'am very tempted to add a stove just not sure how practical it would be - I have a feeling it would basically be one person and gear with a stove. But a damn comfy one man tent at that!!!!

bbrown

WKR
A few more pictures....
Mine is only 6' tall - how tall is the 11'x11'? There is plenty of room in mine to sit up and move around without being all cramped but you are not standing up.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 259

bbrown

WKR
Nice - I missed that. That should be about perfect for standing up to stretch or put pants on. At 6' peak mine is just too short to truly stand up in.

There is a mid point tie out on the 3 sides (nothing on the door side obviously) and they came standard or at least I did not have him add those. I do wish they were about 6-9" higher as I feel like they would give a bit more space. The first couple nights I did not guy it out much and it can be a bit noisy but guying it out quiets it down and adds some usable space for sure.

Take a look at Wilderness Bearpaw Designs. He makes a Luna 4 which is similar as pictured above. The one thing I like better is the Bearpaw has a Vent at the peak. The owner John is easy to work with. He can add or customize just about anything he sells and possibly make a bigger shelter.

bbrown

WKR
Bearpaw is actually local to me and I would have probably ordered from him but I did not hear about him until after. I plan on ordering a nest from him for my 9'x9'.
John seems like a great guy and is very helpful. Another option for sure.

As far as the vent - condensation has not been much of an issue for me but it is fairly dry here so it might be nice in more humid climates.

Last edited:
OP
Backpack Hunter
I looked at Bearpaw, but there Luna 5 is a full foot shorter and a 10x10.
I'm thinking with 5 people (albeit 3 little ones) in the tent space is going to be at a premium already. Might have to talk to him about making me a bigger version.

Do you have one of the Luna models? If so how do you like it, and what don't you like about it?

Mike7

WKR
I have a Luna 4. I have had no problems with it. I'm not sure about 5 people and gear, but I have tried the following configurations to give you and idea of what works. It can easily fit 4 adults, with probably all of their gear if just using light weight backpacking gear and no need for additional floor space. It is great though for 2 guys with all of their backpacking and hunting gear including bows and even a wood stove. It's doable with 3 guys and hunting gear, but no wood stove. It also fits two adults, 1 kid, 2 dogs, and backpacking gear well. It is tall enough to dress while kneeling but not standing erect. The door is tall enough to climb through while stooped over a little without having to do the limbo or kneel.

Hopefully that helps. I have never seen an Oware in person so can't compare the two. The ability to have a peak vent and pitch the bottom edges up off of the ground is essential here...that low-high ventilation really makes a big difference for condensation in my opinion.