PA "Backcountry" hunting?

Trr15

WKR
I grew up between Costello and Wharton. I'm reasonably familiar with the area.

My pack is literally 95% ready to roll. Strap on my sleeping bag, stuff some food and grab a rifle and I'm off to the races.

It's about the adventure, not a deer. Be thrilled to haul a yearling doe out.
I grew up in Clearfield county and spent a lot of time in Potter County over the years. Had a few adventures at the Wharton hotel bar in my early 20’s.

WKR
If you're going to invest that kind of time and effort into a hunting trip, it would make more sense to go to Ohio or another state with higher deer density and bigger bucks.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
If you're going to invest that kind of time and effort into a hunting trip, it would make more sense to go to Ohio or another state with higher deer density and bigger bucks.
It would ultimately be cheaper and less effort to hunt in Pennsylvania because I don't have to drop NR money on an Ohio license and they lost they damn minds on what a license is worth.

I don't care about big bucks. I never see them anyway.

WKR
It would ultimately be cheaper and less effort to hunt in Pennsylvania because I don't have to drop NR money on an Ohio license and they lost they damn minds on what a license is worth.

It makes sense for a resident. I don't see how it would make sense for a non-resident to come to PA to hunt.

Lowg08

WKR

I’m with you. I actually prefer to hunt the backcountry deer in my home area. I’ve grown up there. We can get way back.

Attachments

• 3102EF3A-F12E-4E5B-84D9-70932FB49C8E.jpeg
    3102EF3A-F12E-4E5B-84D9-70932FB49C8E.jpeg
    686.4 KB · Views: 81

wgrkman

FNG
@Jpsmith1 I spend a lot of time in the area if you would like to ask any specific questions feel free to send me a PM. I have never personally done a backpack trip there but have spent a lot of time thinking about it.

Lowg08

WKR
Tell me more about that holster setup. I like to sling a handgun at deers sometimes and man that would tote my hogleg well.
Gosh I can’t even remember where the holster came from. I just hang it on my pack waist belt. It’s only a 22. We are legal to use only a 22 to dispatch a deer during archery season. It’s old I know that. Lol. It also makes me feel better too. We have black bears too. Not as big as Pennsylvania though. Ours are getting bigger and tougher to buffalo.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Gosh I can’t even remember where the holster came from. I just hang it on my pack waist belt. It’s only a 22. We are legal to use only a 22 to dispatch a deer during archery season. It’s old I know that. Lol. It also makes me feel better too. We have black bears too. Not as big as Pennsylvania though. Ours are getting bigger and tougher to buffalo
I guess I didn't ask my question properly, but I think you answered it anyway.

I have a holster very similar to that one for my .45 Bisley. I don't have a good means to connect it to my pack belt. The Kifaru belt is quite a bit too wide for it to fit on.

Was hoping you had a magic adapter I wasn't aware of.

Lowg08

WKR
I guess I didn't ask my question properly, but I think you answered it anyway.

I have a holster very similar to that one for my .45 Bisley. I don't have a good means to connect it to my pack belt. The Kifaru belt is quite a bit too wide for it to fit on.

Was hoping you had a magic adapter I wasn't aware of.
No. It’s not magic. Just put it behind a hip pouch on that side. Other wise it slides.

Hammersly is a cool place. Go ahead and hike the sts trail from cross fork north and you will see some remote country. The last time I was hiking that we did see a bear.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never done an overnight backcountry PA trip. I have a camp south of Smethport in McKean county. It’s definitely big PA woods in that part of the state. All the drilling and logging now have a lot of roads available for vehicles.
Roads and trails seem to be everywhere. Nothing is more frustrating when you hike 5 miles in and someone rides around a closed gate and roles by you. Every where I hunt, most of the roads are closed to the public, but no one follows the rules. Makes me hate waking up extra early to hike in, when someone drives by you.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Roads and trails seem to be everywhere. Nothing is more frustrating when you hike 5 miles in and someone rides around a closed gate and roles by you. Every where I hunt, most of the roads are closed to the public, but no one follows the rules. Makes me hate waking up extra early to hike in, when someone drives by you.
Atvs are something I'm trying to find a place to get away from. So sick and tired of hearing them everywhere I go in the woods.

Lowg08

WKR
I always have every intention of using my ebike but always find myself going places it can’t. If I was to find a place that I liked and I could use my bike I’d use it but I do follow the rules. Plus I’m so selfish with my spots I would rather leave it looking like no one uses and impassable trail

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Atvs are something I'm trying to find a place to get away from. So sick and tired of hearing them everywhere I go in the woods.
I also run into a few guys every year driving around and shooting deer from their truck. Ask about it and I get it’s a tradition, who cares about laws.

WJM1000

FNG
I have camp just outside of Cross Fork's and use to spend a lot of time in that area. If it was me I'd look at the area along St. Rt. 144 north in the Sproul state forest area especially where Jews Run Road breaks off of 144 N. You can drive back some distance and if you go to the left you can go for several miles and not run into much of anything until you end up on the banks of the West Branch of the Susquehanna river. Some rough country but if your young and fit it shouldn't be much of problem. But for me I'm speaking from some 45/50 years ago experience. Good luck.