PA Wilds Hunters

Looking towards the next couple years buying some small camp or some little bit of land nestled against or up a road from lots of state forest. I live real close to the Allegheny National Forest, so I have here covered looking around National Forest.
What I’m wondering is any of you who recreate around state forest, have you noticed that state forest gets used and abused by tons of oil, or do you see state forests getting bought up a lot more as opposed to National Forest here where it is used a good amount for oil in some areas but none of it gets bought usually. Just wondering how everyone’s experience with public land demographics in the state forest side.

Really looking at around the Susquehannock State Forest or around Pine Creek Gorge for all the elevation.

adamm88

WKR
I hunt michaux in sounth central pa. Theres no oil or gas on this but they definitely log it and rotate around and always have active logging somwhere. Theres a-lot of recreational, hiking, biking that goes on throughout the year, the biggest issues i see are people dropping off junk like washers/dryers and illegal use of the snowmobile trails by 4x4 trucks or fourwheelers which isn’t allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt some of the state game lands near me. 57 and 19. Lots of pressure. I notice the deer bed on state game lands and then come out into the surround ag fields to feed at night until late in the season when they browse acorns. If you could buy something on a transit corridor, that would be ideal.

A trick that has worked for me is to approach the game lands from a non standard direction like a creek crossing. A bit of cold water will deter most all hunters and can easily be solved by a pair of waders.

JigStick

WKR
We hunt WMU 54 north of Brockway. Across into Clearcreek state park and north into the national forest. Plan on seeing people/pressure unless you get a few miles back in. I go into the deepest nastiest terrain I can find and I’m by myself.

Clarence

WKR
The pine creek/ grand canyon area sees alot of recreational use. Atvs are legal on dirt roads, lots of snowmobile trails on the state forest. Great area for motorized recreation, decent bear hunting, deer hunting is pretty mediocre. That is alot of state forest and game lands. Hard to find areas with decent whitetail numbers, but there are some good bucks taken up there. Can be hard to find them though. Land is cheaper over in potter and even cheaper in mckean counties. Have spent a good amount of time up on the northern tier wilds. Feel free to P.M.