Pack and Frame as a carry on

I will be flying Delta in a month, I would like to take my Stone Glacier X Curve frame and 5900 bag as my carry on. Has anyone had issues taking a large frame/pack as a carry on or personal item on any airlines?

I’ve seen hippies carry on some big kelty bags but I’ve never tried it myself. Seems like a lot of hassle just to get turned away at the gate and end up checking it.

CAVEBEAR

FNG
I do it all the time with my SG Sky 5900 in bivy mode and my Solo, never had a issue or been challenged on it.

Once through security if they have a issue as you board they'll just tag it there for you at the gate.

woods89

WKR
I've carried a 26" Kifaru Duplex with several different bags on a few flights with Southwest. Never heard a peep about it, even though it's slightly oversize.

MattB

WKR
Never, but my recommendation would be to be smart about it so ensure you are not in the last boarding group, grab available bin space where you can find it before you get to your row if you see closed bins ahead, and keep all the fragile/expensive things (e.g. binocs, wallet, meds) in a lid or pouch that you can pull out in the event they need to gate check your bag.

cnelk

WKR
I put two Kelty Cache Haulers and lots of other gear in a big duffle as checked baggage when I went to Alaska last Sept.

Use regular carry-on luggage for your extra stuff and load it up because there’s no weight restriction on carry-on

Loper

WKR
I don’t know about Delta, but i just carried on my EXO 4800 on Alaska Airlines. It was about 75% full. I tucked my waist belt behind my back to try and make it appear like it was just a standard backpack. Not sure if that step was necessary, but nobody said a word to me and it fit in the overhead of a 737.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have not had a problem with my Exo. It is technically too big. Keep it looking light and tight and you should be good.

I’ve carried on an Exo and a MR Selway multiple times no problem. I pack them heavy & cinch down the straps.

my biggest question is ... why? I fly a lot. If it is a quick overnighter or a couple days I can get by on a small carry on. If I need more than that check the bag. Most airports now have much better and faster baggage handling. Most times baggage is already starting to come out by the time you get to the baggage claim area. When you check the bag you dont need to worry sharp items, liquids etc. It just goes through and you dont end up taking a bunch of extra time at security with TSA looking through your bag and you dont end up being "that guy" trying to stuff too much shit into an over head.

woods89

WKR
my biggest question is ... why? I fly a lot. If it is a quick overnighter or a couple days I can get by on a small carry on. If I need more than that check the bag. Most airports now have much better and faster baggage handling. Most times baggage is already starting to come out by the time you get to the baggage claim area. When you check the bag you dont need to worry sharp items, liquids etc. It just goes through and you dont end up taking a bunch of extra time at security with TSA looking through your bag and you dont end up being "that guy" trying to stuff too much shit into an over head.
For me it's because I fly with a rifle case, a duffel ( that holds a lot more than my pack), and use my pack as my carry on with my optics, etc. That keeps me from having to pay for checked bags with Southwest while taking a maximum amount of gear.
I'm not saying it's optimum but it has worked well for me in the past.

What kind of airplane will you be in? A 737 and I think I'd try it, worst case scenario is gate check. If it's one of those smaller Embraer planes no way.

For me it's because I fly with a rifle case, a duffel ( that holds a lot more than my pack), and use my pack as my carry on with my optics, etc. That keeps me from having to pay for checked bags with Southwest while taking a maximum amount of gear.
I'm not saying it's optimum but it has worked well for me in the past.
i think the airlines have it all wrong. wish they charged more for carryon rather than checking. carry on causes delays at every stage of the game now. Carry-ons make it longer to get through TSA (because so many people dont follow the rules), they make it longer for people boarding the plane and longer for getting off the plane. Dealing with amateur hour on airlines like SW (just makes things worse, i truly hate everything about flying on SW.

woods89

WKR
i think the airlines have it all wrong. wish they charged more for carryon rather than checking. carry on causes delays at every stage of the game now. Carry-ons make it longer to get through TSA (because so many people dont follow the rules), they make it longer for people boarding the plane and longer for getting off the plane. Dealing with amateur hour on airlines like SW (just makes things worse, i truly hate everything about flying on SW.
No argument on most of that. It can be a mess with security and boarding these days, and no doubt the carry on culture doesn't help anything.
All that said, when I rolled into the Denver Airport last fall with a backpack, a rifle case, a duffel, and 2 95 lb coolers, the Southwest agent smiled, knocked 75 bucks off my oversize/overweight fee, and had me on my way in 10 min. So it's a little hard to be critical of them from a hunting standpoint.

No argument on most of that. It can be a mess with security and boarding these days, and no doubt the carry on culture doesn't help anything.
All that said, when I rolled into the Denver Airport last fall with a backpack, a rifle case, a duffel, and 2 95 lb coolers, the Southwest agent smiled, knocked 75 bucks off my oversize/overweight fee, and had me on my way in 10 min. So it's a little hard to be critical of them from a hunting standpoint.
I avoid SW like the plague if i can but sometimes for work i have to fly them. usually short flights within ca thought so it is not terrible. last flight was pure comedy. absolutely sold out no seats left flight. still a bunch of couples who get on first always try the take and isle and a window seat thing like somehow the middle will remain open.. like they didnt hear the 27 announcements saying the flight is completely booked so then they act all put out when someone else has to sit in their row. Even better was a lady with a baby and a dog.. and could not understand why baby did not get his own seat... the ..well you didnt pay for one rationale did not seem to resonate with her. a bunch of people had jumbo carryons so they ended up having to take them back to the front of the plane so they could gate check them. Stupid 1 hour flight took 25 minutes to board with their dumb cattle herding boarding process. Yah that sums up what I think of SW.

woods89

WKR
I avoid SW like the plague if i can but sometimes for work i have to fly them. usually short flights within ca thought so it is not terrible. last flight was pure comedy. absolutely sold out no seats left flight. still a bunch of couples who get on first always try the take and isle and a window seat thing like somehow the middle will remain open.. like they didnt hear the 27 announcements saying the flight is completely booked so then they act all put out when someone else has to sit in their row. Even better was a lady with a baby and a dog.. and could not understand why baby did not get his own seat... the ..well you didnt pay for one rationale did not seem to resonate with her. a bunch of people had jumbo carryons so they ended up having to take them back to the front of the plane so they could gate check them. Stupid 1 hour flight took 25 minutes to board with their dumb cattle herding boarding process. Yah that sums up what I think of SW.
Yeah, their boarding system combined with most people's complete lack of forethought and awareness of how to make their fellow passengers lives easier makes for some chaotic times, no doubt.

bozeman

WKR
hide the belt portion.....I bought a HPG recently, 2800 cu in, but no belt and a kydex sheet frame.....it should pass with no issue. As another said, cinch it down tight...make it look as small as possible.

OP
DaleGribble
Couldn't tell you what the plane size will be but there is a connecting flight that will be a smaller plane flying into Great Falls. Don't think that airport could handle a 737. I'll probably check it, just hate giving them a brand new $700 pack with loose straps. Might put it in a large duffle for protection along with all the non-carry on allowed items.