Pack Choice - Planning Idaho Elk Hunt

bigjim21

FNG
Hello All -

I joined rokslide a short while ago as a resource for planning a DIY elk pack-in trip to Idaho in 2014. So far, I'm gleaning quite a bit of very good information from the various discussion threads and I've pretty much lurked every pack discussion forum and review out there, but I am still at a loss.

I've decided NOT to get an expensive hunting-specific pack and have eliminated Kuiu, Seekoutside, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, McHale, et. al. for cost reasons.

I have looked at the ALPS Commander, Kelty Cache Hauler, REI XT85, Osprey, Arcteryx, Full Curl and some older used Dana Designs Terraplane / Astralplane packs; but I can't tell what would be suitable to serve as both an extended pack-in unit (5-7 days in) AND a meat hauler. I'm suspicious of the ALPS and I think I'm leaning toward an internal frame pack - maybe the Dana.

Can someone with experience using an internal frame, non-hunting-specific pack to pack-in and haul out elk (boned quarters or quarters) make a recommendation please? I'll probably buy used and get something in the $200-$250 range.

Thanks!

Beastmode

WKR
I would go with either the xt 85 or the arc'teryx. They both have fairly strong suspensions and will hold up to a pack full of meat. Definitely haul an elk boned out. Saves you a lot of weight.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The cache hauler works well for carrying quarters. I don't care for much of ospreys newer stuff, but have used am old osprey vector for hunting and it worked well but suffered torso collapse at heavy loads. Up to 80 ish the osprey vector does well. I saw one recently at a thrift store for $50 and almost picked it up.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The old Bozeman made Dana's are very well done, and carry weight better than most internals built these days. It's a good choice. IME it won't haul heavy loads as well as the Cache Hauler though.

Look at Eberlestock as well. Cost half as much as Kifaru or some of the higher end. You still would have some hauling capability. You just may not have a comfortable fit with them. I would advise finding a place where you can find packs to try on so you get the one that will fit you comfortably.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
You might also take a look at the Kelty red cloud 110, it was my fill in for a season while I waited for my kifaru... I packed in for ten days with it and also packed out a nice bull, would not want to carry more than 95-100 lbs with it but it definitely did the job and was comfortable.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you use a paradox / seekoutside backpack with a dry bag, it costs the same as an eberle blue widow. I've used dry bag haulers a lot and IMO there are a lot of plusses, plus really you can have a pack set up that really hauls for less than 3 lbs depending on the dry bag.

OP
B

bigjim21

FNG
10-4. I was kind of leaning towards the REI XT85 since it seems to be pretty well equipped and reasonable - particularly if I can find one lightly used. I like the Dana Terraplane etc., but no hydration setup etc. Not that it matters really, but it'd be nice to have. Plus, I have an REI store nearby if I need them.

The Bora seems to get good press. I haven't heard much about the Ospreys or the Altra from a load-hauling perspective.

My top two picks are the Mystery Ranch 6500 / Metcalf, and the Kifaru Nomad, but they are out of my range for now, even used.

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
For a cheaper, well made pack you should look into the ILBE main pack made by Arcteryx. It is a military pack based off the Bora. I have one I use for training and extended camping. 4500 cu/in works great and is bomb proof.