Pack Choice - Planning Idaho Elk Hunt

bounds

WKR
I have the Bora 95 and have like it a lot. I've used it for summer backpacking and have hauled out a bear and an elk with it. It doesn't compress down as well as the hunting specific packs of it's size, but it's doable for day hunting. I cut as much excess off of mine as I could (there's a lot) and took about a pound off of it.

The thing I've like the most is that there is a main bag, but then there is a lot of room to stuff gear between the main bag and the big vertical zipper. When I packed meat, I pulled my day hunt gear out of the main bag and put it in the space between the bag and zipper and then put the meat in the main bag. It works really well and carried the weight well also. I don't have experience with the higher end hunting packs, but I think the Bora is definitely worth it if you can find a good used one.

swmoelk

FNG
I just got a Mountainsmith apex 100 and love it. Its very adjustable torso and hipbelt both. I've not had it in the mountains but do have 80#s in it and it carrys well. I have had one external frame and an older TNF badlands and the Mountainsmith at 85ounces+/- out performed both. Just MHO. Btw $230 or so new