Pack cleaning help- not your usual stink

amassi

WKR
Welp I screwed up and left a game bag with trim and bear fat in it, in the heat, for 30~ days.
Smelled it as soon as I got to my storage space
The fat went rancid and melted so the inside is coated in rancid bear fat.
It’s currently soaking in an ice chest of dawn and oxi clean.
My hopes aren’t high but I’d like to salvage
Anybody have a Hail Mary idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Whoa. That sounds horrific. Need pics. I’d let it stew. For a long time.

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
I’d throw it away but it had sentimental value.
I’m thinking vinegar for the acidity to break down the fat(base)?

I’ve heard of meat tenderizer powder being used on organic stains. Not sure if it would apply or not.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Turkey hunting, if you don't know the whole prayer ....

Twenty pounds of eyeballs, but they couldn't smell you even if you were Skunky McShart Pants ...

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
This idea is out there, but it’s all I’ve got.

A light oil is a good cleaner for a heavier oil/grease. I’d soak the fat in a penetrating oil to break it down then scrub with a bristle brush to remove as much fat as possible. Then soak in a water and detergent mix for several days changing the water a few times.

The oil might cause its own damage to the pack too…but I’m not sure what else to do other than replacing the pack

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I mistakenly left a dove in my game bag for just over 9 months. I found the best way to clean up the mess was the trash can. It did not smell very nice.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Had three or four barn cats get stuck in my hunting Bronco for a few days in a big rain storm .... I rolled up the windows quick in a blind dash when it started to pour....

Finally figgered out I hadn't seen a few of my crew at feeding time a few mornings in a row and checked the truck ...Holy Moly!

Evacuated my posse right quick ---Boy, were they happy! LOL --- and sprayed vinegar everywhere. Put the packs and soiled fabrics in a deep baking soda mound in Husky totes, stored outside ... A long time later everything was alright... (Key phrase: a long time...)

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
I mistakenly left a dove in my game bag for just over 9 months. I found the best way to clean up the mess was the trash can. It did not smell very nice.

I’ve done that with doves and ducks too but that was normally a cotton vest or backpack. This scent was on a different level.

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
Call a professional cleaning servuce that specializes in crimes scenes...see what they suggest. Might be worth seeing it they can do something with it.

That’s not a bad idea, thank you

ive heard dawn cuts grease out of the way. wash in dawn with hot water a few times, this will get the grease out. the smell comes from bacteria so baking soda in water will help with that. after that, leave it outside for a while.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Watch out for peroxide on camo and/or fabric. I'd even cut 3% pretty drastically. Sun + peroxide don't mix with camo or colors you like, in my experience.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Water + Borax becomes hydrogen peroxide.

Can't help with formulas, symbols or tables though ... I goofed my way through HS chemistry ... Suprised I didn't blow the place up ...