Pack frame for saddle hunting

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I know this is mostly a western hunting forum but I figure a lot of yall hunt whitetail in the east, and are more familiar with pack frames, so I'm coming to yall for advice. I'm ditching the heavy/bulky/loud climber this year and plan to give saddle hunting a try. So I'm in the market for a complete new set up: saddle, sticks, platform and potentially pack. I want a set up that's compact (preferably not much wider/taller than me), not too heavy, and most importantly has some kind of meat hauling shelf. Most people who hunt white tail just drag the deer out, but I typically hunt too deep in the swamp for that. What I have seen occasionally is people putting the platform and sticks in the meat hauling shelf - not ideal bc I'd like to save that for meat on the pack out. I want to be able to put the platform on the outside and the sticks on the side if possible. Without anything to build off of it's hard to decide what I should buy that works well together. So let me see your pics, and tell me what's worked for you!

OP
L

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
And what I've used the the past is my kuiu frame just left in the truck. It was way too bulky to bring into the woods with me ontop of my climber. Not my favorite for white tail hunting just bc of how deep the main compartment is. I'd be open to switching it up and getting a new pack.

Have you looked at the Mystery Ranch Pop Up or simply getting a smaller bag for the Kuiu frame? The Pop Up series is very versatile and generally works well for saddle hunting, but does have some shortcomings--louder fabric than one might like for hunting whitetails, and not as much organization for carrying all of your random stuff you want easily accessible.

madgrad02

WKR
+1 for the MR pop-up... have ran the gamut of packs looking for the perfect pack for saddle hunting. I liked how the Eberlestock X2 stored all the stuff (gets a lot of recommendations from the folks over on saddlehunter.com - check that out if you wanted more details into saddle hunting), but being a taller guy, never really liked how it fit me and lack of a load shelf was kind of a detractor. Will be running a pop-up 28 this upcoming season for the whitetail woods here in Wisco and liking that so far. Been using that to haul a 35lb plate while running stairs on my lunch breaks in prep for my first attempt out west later this season, so definitely has more meat-hauling capabilities in my opinion.

AHorst

FNG
+1 for the MR pop-up... have ran the gamut of packs looking for the perfect pack for saddle hunting. I liked how the Eberlestock X2 stored all the stuff (gets a lot of recommendations from the folks over on saddlehunter.com - check that out if you wanted more details into saddle hunting), but being a taller guy, never really liked how it fit me and lack of a load shelf was kind of a detractor. Will be running a pop-up 28 this upcoming season for the whitetail woods here in Wisco and liking that so far. Been using that to haul a 35lb plate while running stairs on my lunch breaks in prep for my first attempt out west later this season, so definitely has more meat-hauling capabilities in my opinion.
I am thinking about getting a pop up for saddle hunting for my last year I'll be in Iowa. I was thinking about getting the 40 so that way I have a extended day pack for when I start going out west but I have been thinking that it might be too big. How do you like the 28? Do you wish you had more space at times?

madgrad02

WKR
Haha - the more space I have in my pack, the more (unnecessary) stuff I end up bringing! :ROFLMAO:
That being said, was tempted by the pop-up 38 (given they can seemingly be found rather discounted with the new pop-up 30 and 40s)

Bigger than the pop up 30, but I'll be trying out the Mystery Ranch Pintler this season for the same use case that you describe. I think the accessibility to the main pocket on the Pintler might be better while I have the pack hanging up in the tree with me, so that is why I went with the Pintler. I like it a lot so far just taking it out scouting and putting up trail cameras. And I could use it for overnight trips if something like that ever came up as well

OP
L

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Yeah I've seen the new pop up 30 and it looks like those additional attachment points would be perfect. But the 28 you can find on sale for 200 currently, and that's hard to beat.

OP
L

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
What sticks/platform are you using with the popup 28? And are you putting them in the load shelf or attaching on the outside? Same question for everyone using that really haha

What sticks/platform are you using with the popup 28? And are you putting them in the load shelf or attaching on the outside? Same question for everyone using that really haha
Having owned the 28, I would opt for the Pop Up 30 or 40 (have only seen these in pictures and videos). The design is improved to prevent some of the floppy pack issues one tends to encounter with the older generations of Pop Up packs. Plus, if you get the 40, you can remove the lid, unlike on the older Pop Up 38.

As far as sticks go, I like ones that can pack flat. The last ones I used were the Shikar Mini Sticks from Out On a Limb Manufacturing. I rarely use my saddle now, and when I do I climb a tree using tethers or a single rope, so there may be a better options available for flat-packing sticks.

OP
L

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Having owned the 28, I would opt for the Pop Up 30 or 40 (have only seen these in pictures and videos). The design is improved to prevent some of the floppy pack issues one tends to encounter with the older generations of Pop Up packs. Plus, if you get the 40, you can remove the lid, unlike on the older Pop Up 38.

As far as sticks go, I like ones that can pack flat. The last ones I used were the Shikar Mini Sticks from Out On a Limb Manufacturing. I rarely use my saddle now, and when I do I climb a tree using tethers or a single rope, so there may be a better options available for flat-packing sticks.
Yeah that's what I was thinking as far as sticks. The new latitude carbon fiber seem cool, but without colapsing they'd get in the way more I'd think.

And that's good to know, I'm considering just getting the 30 the more I look at it. I really don't need a crazy amount of pack storage considering most my white tail hunting is in LA and it's usually 60 degrees lol.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I use a kuiu 1800 now, upgraded from eberlestock x2. Both are good packs depending on your height, I'm 6-3 so the x2 was a little short and the 1800 fits me better.

madgrad02

WKR
Tethrd skeletors on the sides of the pack in the compression straps and then a Cruzr Seeker or Trophyline Mission (typically sandwiched in the load shelf - still plenty of room to haul in or our what is needed)

Macintosh

WKR
Carry the sticks and saddle in the load shelf on the way in, and only strap outside if you are carrying meat. Much more snag-free that way.

Also, I personally find sticks or anything that protrudes above my shoulders or wider than shoulders catches on brush and makes carrying a royal pain. Maybe if you are in mostly open hardwoods its not a big deal, but having to duck and weave under tangled brush and low branches for miles its a no-go. For this reason I like a pack that sits very low, and I like to carry shorty sticks horizontally across the small of my back. I find this is both lowest center of gravity so it carries better, as well as being the most snag-free way to carry.

I absolutely never carry more than I have to. Even in extremely cold wx (0f or lower) my full kit including 4 sticks, saddle, platform, kill kit, food, water, heavy insulated clothing, etc is less than 25lb. I use a mystery ranch popup 18l pack, which is admittedly small if carrying the super-bulky whitetail clothes, but see no reason for a 40-ish liter pack, to me thats a multi-day overnight size unless you just like having tons of extra room to cram everything inside in the dark. Picture below is full kit, soup to nuts, including all saddle equipment, a very warm insulated jacket and pants. Ive carried a whole antelope in that pack (ie all one piece, not quartered…long story)—its not going to carry as well as a bigger load-carrying pack, but it’ll carry a quartered deer plus your sticks and platform just fine.

IMG_9194.jpeg

I know this is mostly a western hunting forum but I figure a lot of yall hunt whitetail in the east, and are more familiar with pack frames, so I'm coming to yall for advice. I'm ditching the heavy/bulky/loud climber this year and plan to give saddle hunting a try. So I'm in the market for a complete new set up: saddle, sticks, platform and potentially pack. I want a set up that's compact (preferably not much wider/taller than me), not too heavy, and most importantly has some kind of meat hauling shelf. Most people who hunt white tail just drag the deer out, but I typically hunt too deep in the swamp for that. What I have seen occasionally is people putting the platform and sticks in the meat hauling shelf - not ideal bc I'd like to save that for meat on the pack out. I want to be able to put the platform on the outside and the sticks on the side if possible. Without anything to build off of it's hard to decide what I should buy that works well together. So let me see your pics, and tell me what's worked for you!
I’ve been running the exo 3500 without the lid. My platform goes in its own pack and puts between the bag and the frame. I put a hanger in my belt for my bow. I pack a few sticks on the back of the pack. My extra clothes and saddle go inside the pack. It’s working well for me plus I can use it for camping, scouting and elk hunting

I'm in the pop up category as well, I've got a 28, but the 30 would have more to strap too, plus if you de-bone, and come out heavy, you could come out in one trip.

littlefish

Lil-Rokslider
Carry the sticks and saddle in the load shelf on the way in, and only strap outside if you are carrying meat. Much more snag-free that way.

Also, I personally find sticks or anything that protrudes above my shoulders or wider than shoulders catches on brush and makes carrying a royal pain. Maybe if you are in mostly open hardwoods its not a big deal, but having to duck and weave under tangled brush and low branches for miles its a no-go. For this reason I like a pack that sits very low, and I like to carry shorty sticks horizontally across the small of my back. I find this is both lowest center of gravity so it carries better, as well as being the most snag-free way to carry.

I absolutely never carry more than I have to. Even in extremely cold wx (0f or lower) my full kit including 4 sticks, saddle, platform, kill kit, food, water, heavy insulated clothing, etc is less than 25lb. I use a mystery ranch popup 18l pack, which is admittedly small if carrying the super-bulky whitetail clothes, but see no reason for a 40-ish liter pack, to me thats a multi-day overnight size unless you just like having tons of extra room to cram everything inside in the dark. Picture below is full kit, soup to nuts, including all saddle equipment, a very warm insulated jacket and pants. Ive carried a whole antelope in that pack (ie all one piece, not quartered…long story)—its not going to carry as well as a bigger load-carrying pack, but it’ll carry a quartered deer plus your sticks and platform just fine.

View attachment 580888
I would have never thought to fold the Timber Ninja aiders over the step like that, but that is so smart! Keeps the profile down. Even when they're pushed in the still stick out a bit, so thank you for the idea!

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
I went on a whitetail trip this year where we walked 2-3 mile round trips, and used the MR Mule on the MT frame for my saddle, platform, sticks, kill kit, bulky layers, etc. I already had the Metcalf and frame for western hunting and it ended up working really well. I could've easily taken the whole bone in buck that my buddy shot. The MT frame handles weight exceptionally.