Pack on a budget

aion2come

WKR
Find the pack that works for you. Having said that, there is a reason you won't find a lot of guys going with Eberlestock on here. They are several notches below some of the other pack systems imho.

bozeman

WKR
Hard to beat the MR at those prices. Also, could check out the Exo and Seek Outside ‘seconds’ minor blemish with no functional risk....they both have some on discount right now.....

If this is accurate then that would be an excellent starter pack. I would cut a bunch of that extra stuff off the ILBE anyway. I doubt you could do better for double the cost.

You can get the ILBE down to 6.1lbs if you go pretty crazy cutting stuff off. I got mine down to 7.2 without affecting function. Paid $80 for it.

The key to this pack is taking time to get it adjusted properly. Shoulder height is key but so is bending the stays to form to your back. Speaking of the stays, mine were in backwards and caused a lot of discomfort. Once I figured that out, it was like a different pack. I was on a recent backpacking trip and all the other guys had expensive 3-4lb packs. I was the only one whose shoulders didnt hurt.

Now, I have not packed an elk out with it yet, but many others have with success. Search Bryce Shively on YouTube and watch his 2017 hunt. He packed out a bull solo nearly 11 miles with one...and didn’t even have it adjusted properly based on what I could tell from the video.

*zap*

WKR
If this is accurate then that would be an excellent starter pack. I would cut a bunch of that extra stuff off the ILBE anyway. I doubt you could do better for double the cost.

Arcteryx designed the ILBE based on the (at the time) current model of the Bora 95.

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
Just a side note, MR and Eberlestock are at the top of my list, if they're reliable/comfortable due to discounts I can get on those particular packs through various dealers. Just didn't know much about them. I've hunted public land whitetails in Arkansas and packed them out and have used a smaller Tenzing pack that I bought used and loved in comparison to other cheaper packs I tried previously. Just seemed like load disposition and frame were much easier on pack out.
I’ve used several Eberlestock packs. The X1 is a great day pack. The J34 is a good starter do everything pack. Recently I bought the F1 Mainframe, a dry bag, and two Batwing pouches. I really like the versatility or the Mainframe. I pack camp in my dry bag, and load the Batwing pouches with my hunting gear. When I get to camp I just unload the dry bag and start hunting. The Eberlestock products are not talked about here mostly because they are not considered ultralight. Their products are slightly heavier, but are very durable and comfortable.

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
c94badb7fc8893d80e5c51fab9ee9b0a.jpg

Get the metcalf you won’t be sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you seeing this sale? BIL is looking for a Metcalf. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JNDEER

WKR
Put out some requests for a used badlands 4500 pack on some forums. It was not too long ago that was "the pack" and although it does have a few flaws, I never read many people complain of the pack fit and feel even loaded (when it was adjusted to you correctly). I have used the 4500, so that would be my recommendation based on the hunt and price range you are doing. I have not used the new summit (which replaced the 4500) so i cannot speak to that.

Kuiu, IMO, is not a one pack fits most backpack. It may fit you well and it may not. You may be able to pick up a older model used in your price range, but if it doesn't fit your frame it would be a waste of time then try to sell it and buy another.

Eberle is a good "backpack" style pack. No functional load lifters,no solid frame, and for elk/5-7 day hunt with gear I would pass.

EXO, Stone, Kifaru, etc, etc. are all out of your price range.

Rei style packs, although could be used, i would not trust them carrying out a heavy load of elk meat.

gorby

FNG
I’ve used several Eberlestock packs. The X1 is a great day pack. The J34 is a good starter do everything pack. Recently I bought the F1 Mainframe, a dry bag, and two Batwing pouches. I really like the versatility or the Mainframe. I pack camp in my dry bag, and load the Batwing pouches with my hunting gear. When I get to camp I just unload the dry bag and start hunting. The Eberlestock products are not talked about here mostly because they are not considered ultralight. Their products are slightly heavier, but are very durable and comfortable.

I have been happy with this as well for overnights and think it is an awesome system. A new mainframe has been released with higher frame to make load lifters effective. There is also a how to on this site in the DIY section to elevate the load lifters.

elkduds

WKR
Because I'm uberfrugal, I looked for a used pack w a lifetime warranty. I went to Sportsman's Warehouse, there I tried on and checked out Tenzing, Eberlestock, Alps, Badlands, Sitka and others. Then I went shopping in the classifieds. I wound up w a Badlands 2200, it served me well for several years, including mail in for warranty repair.

Liking the warranty, quality and price of Badlands used, now wanting more room, this spring I got a Badlands Sacrifice used from Rokslide classifieds. I sold the 2200 for more than I paid for it. I've been hiking w the Sac w 25# every few days for 2 months. It will be ideal for bivy/spike camping for 3-4 days, including packing an initial load of elk to the truck. After that trip I pack the rest of the meat on an aluminum packframe from an external frame backpack. Loads of 40+# are where the high $ packs show their worth, but I've been good w my aluminum frame for those heavy loads for decades.

So for your needs, the Summit (bigger than Sacrifice) would be the best bet if used Badlands is on your radar. Then hit the classifieds w a couple C notes. Good luck.

Stalker69

WKR
I just got an e-mail this morning SG has financing avalible. Might be away to get what you really want instead of buying used ( no warranty) . But just a suggestion.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is my opinion for you ..... If your looking for a budget pack, I think the mindset needs a slight shift. A quality pack, especially when packing in and then packing a critter out, is crucial. You need to re-frame your thought process. What top end pack can I find the best deal on? Used, new, whatever it takes to meet your budget. Try on as many as you can, but be sure to watch the videos the pack manufacturers make on how to fit their pack to you. Plenty of folks struggle with that, and sometimes pack difficulties are actually due to our tendency to ignore instructions. : )

And, if you are going for 5-7 days+ it is MHO that you need a 6000 CI+ pack.

I am in the same boat... Newbie heading to CO for a first time OTC elk hunt with my son. Had an old external frame I was going to use for the first season, but my young son ran over it with the truck... yea I know.

now iam in the market for a budget price pack...

Personally I'd find a way to make/ save some extra money over the summer.
It that's not possible I'd look into a frame new or used from 1 of the big 3, use a big ole cheap dry bag and some straps/webbing.
And buy a bag for it the next year.

2 basic ways to look at it - 1) I'll still say that ebay "meat hauling/hunting pack" for around $135 STILL works as a stellar "meat" pack and I've attached myriad different pack bodies to mine and they all worked "high 90%" for comfort and getting the job done 2) spend the money, buy a Stone Glacier and don't look back, you'll smile 5 or 6 seasons from now when you think about it