Packable insulation ….what is everyone running ?

Parted ways with FL Uncompahgre. Was looking at the Brooks and possible Kuiu line. Something that works both for Sept archery into fall seasons. What are you running ? PROS/CONS? Would you run anything different ?

BBob

WKR
Kuiu super ultra and super pro. Ultra has no hood and pro has a hood. I originally bought the ultra and found it lacking later in the year and wished it had a hood. I bought the pro with the hood and now after having both for a couple of years I don't seem to grab the ultra much anymore. When I do grab the ultra the weather has to be fairly nice and I'm trying really hard to keep the weight down for a tougher or longer trip. Also when I grab the ultra I tend to take another layer just in case and that negates some of the weight savings of the ultra. I could get by with just the pro and if I were to buy an ultra over again I'd get the hood. Most of the time I'd rather have the pro with the 6 oz weight penalty and make up the weight elsewhere.

mlgc20

WKR
Like BBob, I have the Kuiu Super Pro and Super Ultra. Both of mine are hooded. If I expect the temps to be above freezing, I will take the Ultra. Below that I will take the Pro. Both are great pieces. If I could only have one, I would get the Pro.

REI magma 2.0 jacket, now discontinued, but very warm and packable if I’m not expecting wet weather. Rain or snow on the forecast and the Kifaru LPP comes out.

JakeSCH

WKR
I like the FL brooks down. extremely warm and packs very well at 11 oz. I wore it really hard last fall and it still seems to be in good condition, we will see if it can hold up another year of abuse (my only concern for it).

I would also bring a separate shell if you expect wet weather.

Last edited:
OP
Idaholineman88
Kuiu super ultra and super pro. Ultra has no hood and pro has a hood. I originally bought the ultra and found it lacking later in the year and wished it had a hood. I bought the pro with the hood and now after having both for a couple of years I don't seem to grab the ultra much anymore. When I do grab the ultra the weather has to be fairly nice and I'm trying really hard to keep the weight down for a tougher or longer trip. Also when I grab the ultra I tend to take another layer just in case and that negates some of the weight savings of the ultra. I could get by with just the pro and if I were to buy an ultra over again I'd get the hood. Most of the time I'd rather have the pro with the 6 oz weight penalty and make up the weight elsewhere.
How’s the sizing ? I know the things I’ve ordered in past from kuiu id have to size up one.

Tried the KUIU & FL...froze my arse off. Now I only take Sitka Kelvins. Even then I have found temps at altitude that required the pants and two jackets, one with a hood, one without. Sitting all day and not seeing anything worth chasing is a pisser but at least I wasn't cold. A Tiburon jacket weighs nothing and cuts all the wind.

IMG_1405.JPG

Last edited:

JakeSCH

WKR
Tried the KUIU & FL...froze my arse off. Now I only take Sitka Kelvins. Even then I have found temps at altitude that required the pants and two jackets, one with a hood, one without.

This reminds me, I would bring a light weight packable shell for wind as well. The puffy's are terrible in wind.

I use Cabela's one that fits in a soda can sized pouch...who knows if they still sell it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I use the kifaru LPP or paragons pullover puffy. I’d like to try the enlightened equipment pullover but I havn’t gotten around to ordering one yet. You

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
i have the older kuiu super down, very light but i get cold pretty easy when sitting so once its much below 0c i bring my first light chamberlin, that thing is like wearing a sleeping bag!

Lowg08

WKR
I have the brooks down and chamberlain. I also have a uncle padre vest and UA alpine op down pants. I too use a hard shell. I have found the brooks to be very warm.

I’ve been very happy with my Kryptec Ghar. Well made and durable. Warm and light. The insulation is thoughtfully mapped. It can be found cheaper than some other big brands.

My honorable choice would be EB Downlight.

If I ever tried another hunting brand, it would be SKRE.

tdot

WKR
I'm a big fan of the Kuiu Kenai line. The hoodless jacket is just about one of the best insulation layers I've ever owned. I'm using it about 100 days a year. But it is definitely designed as a layering piece, which is how I use my insulation, rarely as a stand alone exterior jacket. I also have the Kuiu Ultra down jacket and pant. It is great for what it is, ultralight/minimal insulation, but if I only own one set of insulation, it wouldn't be that line up.

If I need more insulation then the Kenai line, I would look at down by manufacturers outside the hunting space. The Kenai lineup has just changed in the last couple of days, hopefully it's even better, but only time will tell.

BBob

WKR
How’s the sizing ? I know the things I’ve ordered in past from kuiu id have to size up one.
I'm right at 40 or just under and the M fits fine with room for layers. I think a L would be too big for me. 5' 9" 155 no belly :)

I just tried them on and the Pro has more room than the Ultra but both have room to layer. Ultra is definitely tighter in the lats than the Pro when I lift my arms up and out. Pro is not tight at all. I can wear the Ultra under the Pro no problem.

Last edited: