Packing meat out in the rain

I have a question about packing meat out when it is raining. This is not a common occurrence for me here in AZ.

When it is raining, what should be done to protect the meat during the pack out? This includes while it is on your back as well as hopefully hanging in a tree. Any different precautions when it is warmer rather than cooler?

Packed plenty in the rain. Meat should of course be in meat bags for the pack out. When back at the truck or camp remove the wet bags and hang the meat covered with tarps. I always have a extra set of game bags I'll put back over the meat. Never been an issue. Sure, you want to keep the meat dry but as long as a guy uses some common sense you'll be fine.

The answer to any pack out question is "use trekking poles"......especially if it's raining (or snowing). Meat will be fine.
Wise words.
When anyone s**ts on trekking poles you know they either haven't carried much of anything out, or they genuinely hate the cartilage in their knees.

For OP, meat is fine in rain. Make sure it's off the critter fast either way.

Hunting mostly in western Oregon, I typically carry a small cheap tarp, some very light cord, and even a few light ground stakes. Great as an impromptu shelter when the weather really sucks and I want to eat lunch in peace, plus I can pitch over an animal as I quarter it if I need to, and if I really need to I can hang the quarters under it while I make multiple pack trips.

I don't stress the rain for the actual pack out, it just goes in game bags and on my back. A little rain isn't going to spoil it at that point, and it's not like I'm making 8-hr trips with it.

EastMT

WKR
Getting meat wet in itself is not a huge deal, it’s just if it stays wet in warm conditions. Get it out then get it dry and you will be fine.

If you can’t get it out right away like a multi day pack out, you can lay down some big branches and keep it up off the ground, cover with a tarp not touching it for air flow under and over it (in the shade). Hanging works good as well, but can be a pain to find a branch where you can tarp it well sometimes if it’s raining.

As others has mentioned; just do your best during the pack out. If I hang meet while in a backpack camp, I’ll hang a meat pole in between two trees. If I can spare my sil tarp I will drape that over the meat but many times I have split a large garbage bag into a rectangle and use that. Sometimes I even tie the bottom corners if flys are an issue then open it up in the evenings when it cools.

Nothing to worry about but I do keep a box of heavy paper shop rags in the truck so the meat can be dried off before placing quarters in the cooler. Those rags come in handy for a lot of reasons.

Z1r4JtncpEx_.JPG