Packing out an elk

Wapiti1

WKR
5-6 trips, depending on distance, but I also bring out the ribs, heart and liver. Many guys don't. I also skull cap the head, or skin it for the pack out. Wet hide is heavy.

Jeremy

kiddogy

WKR
I've done a cow in only two but it was only a mile or so hike in. get a big bull down it may take 4 or 5 trips.
my advice to a solo hunter............ shoot it next to a road!

I've packed out many of elk and I've always taken 4 trips. Keep the load low an tight to you... I've seen folks take a tumble with a load of meat and it didn't turn out well for them.

muddydogs

WKR
I get your logic but this is illegal most (all?) places. Please don't give out illegal advice to new (elk) hunters. Trophy is the last thing out of the woods.

So how is this illegal in most places? 5 states I hunt in have nothing to say about when the head comes out as long as its present during transport and this is only for places with antler restrictions other wise the fish and game doesn't even care if the head comes out at all as long as evidence of sex remains attached to a portion of the meat. One poster mentioned its illegal in Idaho to bring the head out first, after a quick look at the regs I can find no mention of this.

So who is spreading bad advice and internet rumors? Bottom line is read the states hunting proclamation so you know the rules and don't take internet advice.

muddydogs

WKR
Along the lines with what vaultMan said, do you guys normally drop off your head and meat a few hundred yards from Truck to keep it from Getting taken? Has anyone ever actually had someone take there meat or elk head?

I worry about the head getting stolen so it usually comes out last but if sooner I will stop short and leave it somewhat hidden. I also don't take the meat all the way to the truck just for the fact the truck is the worst place to leave meat when its warm temps. I'll stash the meat in a shady spot close to the truck until I'm ready to load up and head out.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hind quarter and trim x 2
2 front shoulders and head

3 trips. Really really sucks!

3. Front and hind deboned x2. Last one is head, straps, loin, brisket, and any other meat I can get off. 1/3 of my gear with each load in the bottom of pack.

Pack balance is key, I even try to pinch off lowest part of pack so a majority of load is sitting in the middle of back and stays there. Take the time to make sure nothing is shifting around.

Make yourself eat and take breaks, adrenaline will be flowing so don’t overwork. Every step must be deliberate with that much weight. I take a few supplements as well including glucosamine, turmeric, fish oil, and salt pills. Basically what marathoners are doing. Keeps everything running smooth. Having some high energy tunes for the pack out is gold as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Doesn't anybody keep a cooler in their truck? I always have a cooler in my truck with frozen milk jugs. The meat comes back and gets put in the cooler immediately.

As for how many trips........depends on the size of the elk. If I'm worried about how many trips, then it's definitely already deboned. I don't worry about short pack outs (less than a mile) and might not debone those. Just depends on the situation. But I would say 3-4 trips for me. Definitely 4 if it's worth mounting it.

apkleinschmidt

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you who debone, how long does the actual deboning process take on average (for a moderately experienced deboner)? I've deboned whitetail and hogs but I'd speculate that elk take considerably more time.

An extra 20-30 minutes max, for deboning.
Rears are easy...id suggest watching a video or two for the fronts.
They’re not difficult, just different.

wytx

WKR
Remove the lower legs and hooves. Hide is heavy but it also protects the meat from dirt.

GregB

WKR
4 trips, first one is rear quarter with evidence of sex and tag. Use trekking poles, it makes life easier.

So how is this illegal in most places? 5 states I hunt in have nothing to say about when the head comes out as long as its present during transport and this is only for places with antler restrictions other wise the fish and game doesn't even care if the head comes out at all as long as evidence of sex remains attached to a portion of the meat. One poster mentioned its illegal in Idaho to bring the head out first, after a quick look at the regs I can find no mention of this.

So who is spreading bad advice and internet rumors? Bottom line is read the states hunting proclamation so you know the rules and don't take internet advice.

In looking at the big game regs for Idaho (pg 102-103), I stand corrected. There is no direct mention as to transport of the antlers as long as evidence of sex is established and maintained until the animal reaches the processor.

My assumption was coming from a check station in Idaho a few years back where a warden was giving the riot act to a hunter in front of me that "meat waste was something they had zero tolerance for and the meat needed to be cared for before anything else." Since, I have implied this to be, get the meat in the cooler, then worry about the rack. Just the way I have done it since.

Apologies for any confusion this caused. As muddydogs mentioned, follow the regs not the internet.

muddydogs

WKR
For those of you who debone, how long does the actual deboning process take on average (for a moderately experienced deboner)? I've deboned whitetail and hogs but I'd speculate that elk take considerably more time.
Some of it would depend on what your doing with the meat, if its all going to be ground for burger and sausage making then just hack and stack it but if you are wanting to cut steaks then removing the bone and keeping the muscle groups intact takes a little more time. Any more I mostly grind my game meat especially the front shoulders so if I bone its quick and efficient.

mwebs

WKR
De-boning is worth the time to me. Bring pcord or another way of hanging the quarters once they are off. Place tarp or a barrier of your choice below the quarters and start cutting, so much easier then when they are on the ground. This is all much easier if you shoot the elk during the morning/ day, so that is always my goal!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best to plan on four or five I’ve done 3 on a big bull talked into by one of my long time friends still wish I had not....these days I plan on five as seems like I only shoot big bodied bulls and it is a lot of meat to move,..also grew up in a time when F8FFB679-12AD-4D8C-BDA0-E6DF1C6CDAC3.png077F248B-3E66-4E00-8BDA-1ED4A88BD2CB.jpeg6247AA90-D9C2-4266-8CE0-F99207BFA2DF.jpeg77DAD2C8-8A89-4546-AC84-30D1EDEA08D8.jpeg49BAAC7E-A944-40C3-9884-20B017188BE3.pngwe just strapped them on old crappy military boards and went often not getting lined up properly on the load as hey I was young....and stupid...these days I make sure load evenly secured and balanced .....my brother still swears by his old board and keeps a smile but would not recommend it for comfort but who ever said packing elk quarters is comfortable....if more than a two miles I am boning all these days does not take much time for the weight savings👍

chasewild

WKR
An extra 20-30 minutes max, for deboning.
Rears are easy...id suggest watching a video or two for the fronts.
They’re not difficult, just different.

I've done dozens of elk and this is still not accurate for me. Each hind quarter is about 7-10 minutes (cutting, rolling it around, holding it up, all included). Front shoulders are about the same. Rib roll takes about 10 minutes per side. Backstrap takes about 5-10 minutes per side. Tenderloin takes about the same. Brisket and neck take 3-7 minutes. Jaw bone takes ******* 5 hours some times (jk...but like 15 minutes). Heart can take up to 15 minutes.