Pad Recommendation

Lonestar6

FNG
I need some help with a pad recommendation. Im 5'11" 245lbs 31 years old. I just recently had back surgery fusion of the lower back. Hoping someone on here has a recommendation for a good thick comfortable pad. Will be hunting 2nd season again this year. Thanks for yalls help. Take weight out of the occasion I just need something to help me get through the night without hurting. Thanks in advanced.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
my geezer system is an inflatable with a one inch self inflatable added on top. in real cold i add a closed cell foam to the top of that. i am comfortable to zero with this. many times i carry just the inflatable and a quarter inch thick closed cell for the top. the foam has many uses in camp, kneel on it for cooking, sit pad, etc.

for car camping i have a 3 inch camprest self inflatable that the inflatable goes on of and the foam then goes on top of that if needed.

mmac

WKR
Depends on your set up I think.

I have used REI insulated air mattress that is 6+ inches thick. They are good, but other air mattress's have failed me and that sucks.
I use a Nemo tensor for backpack hunting and that thing is great. Less than a pound and 3 inches thick. I am a side sleeper.
I have a Cabelas ultimate air mattress that is insulated and you can use on a cot that is my new favorite set up.

Really depends on your set up. As I have gotten older, the Cot for elk hunting is really the way to go unless backpacking.

OP
L

Lonestar6

FNG
Depends on your set up I think.

I have used REI insulated air mattress that is 6+ inches thick. They are good, but other air mattress's have failed me and that sucks.
I use a Nemo tensor for backpack hunting and that thing is great. Less than a pound and 3 inches thick. I am a side sleeper.
I have a Cabelas ultimate air mattress that is insulated and you can use on a cot that is my new favorite set up.

Really depends on your set up. As I have gotten older, the Cot for elk hunting is really the way to go unless backpacking.
We do have a Basecamp with cots but we will also spike camp for a night or two depending on where the elk are and whats going on. Thank you for the recommendations.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Are you backapcking or base camp?

For backpacking, EXPED makes MW (72x26") and LW (78x26") mats. I'd suggest a 9cm for the extra comfort and thickness (~3.5"). Check out the SynMat XP 9 or SynMat UL/HL Winter versions. We also do a DownMat XP 9 for maximum r-value.

If you need something for the basecamp, even on top of a cot, the MegaMat can't be beat.

OP
L

Lonestar6

FNG
Are you backapcking or base camp?

For backpacking, EXPED makes MW (72x26") and LW (78x26") mats. I'd suggest a 9cm for the extra comfort and thickness (~3.5"). Check out the SynMat XP 9 or SynMat UL/HL Winter versions. We also do a DownMat XP 9 for maximum r-value.

If you need something for the basecamp, even on top of a cot, the MegaMat can't be beat.
Mostly hunt out of Basecamp but will throw on the packs and send a night or two on the moutain. This year will be out of Basecamp with a cot because of the back surgery a couple months ago.

CO-AJ

WKR
I second the EXPED. I love mine and if I needed more cushion or warmth I would just throw a therma rest closed cell foam pad underneath.

smitty619

FNG
I use a Nemo Tensor Insulated pad. It was one of the few that was 72 in long and 25 in wide. It’s also 3 in thick. Never gone backcountry hunting, but I’ve used it on plenty of backpacking trips.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Mostly hunt out of Basecamp but will throw on the packs and send a night or two on the moutain. This year will be out of Basecamp with a cot because of the back surgery a couple months ago.

IMO opinion you are looking at two separate mats then. One for camp and one for the pack. The EXPED MegaMat or DeepSleep (budget option) will be the two front runners for in camp. If you don't need ultralight, but still want a packable mat with a 4 season R-value, look at the SynMat XP 7. 4.8 r-value, 75d fabric, pumpbag for inflation.

Marble

WKR
I'm not a cot fan. I use the tri fold futon pads while in my truck or base camp. I get them for $30 in costco. Thermolite sea to summit for back packing.

Your backpacking pad choice will vary depending on how you sleep too. Im a side/belly sleeper so i really need a decent pillow and pad. My buddy sleeps on his back and needs much Costco.

Look for something above a 4 on the R rating for second season. Second season is usually low 30s to low teens at night in CO at altitude.

I'm not a cot fan. I use the tri fold futon pads while in my truck or base camp. I get them for $30 in costco. Thermolite sea to summit for back packing.

Your backpacking pad choice will vary depending on how you sleep too. Im a side/belly sleeper so i really need a decent pillow and pad. My buddy sleeps on his back and needs much Costco.

Look for something above a 4 on the R rating for second season. Second season is usually low 30s to low teens at night in CO at altitude.
Im a sideand belly sleeper too what would you reccomend for mid season colorado, back packing wide long

Marble

WKR
Im a sideand belly sleeper too what would you reccomend for mid season colorado, back packing wide long
That's the same time I hunt. Same size, wide and long. I'm broad shouldered 6'01" 220. What works for me for backpacking is a 10 degree bag, that pad I mentioned above and a combination of my other clothing zipped into a puffy jacket pillow and a small pillow. If i have my horse, I carry a bigger, heavier, warmer bag with a little more room. I will also take my horse blankets and lay them down under me. I generally wear just a thin upper base layer and thick beanie over my ears.

There are a few podcasts that talk about comfortable sleeping and the back country. Kifarucast has a few. I will carry something slightly bulkier or heavier if it helps me last longer on the mountain. Sleeping bags are insulaters. They hold in warmth or cold. If you start warm, you'll be warmer.

Certain food helps. I eat sugary food every night and a very high calorie dinner.. Hydration is super important. I will drink 20 to 32 oz of electrolytes from bedtime to when I get up. Ibuprofen before bed...and when I get up.

There will be some trial and error to find out what works for YOU!! Everyone I hunt with has a slightly different sleep system.