Pants- Sitka/Kuiu

I have been using Sitka Timberline pants for years. They’re beat to death, so it’s time for a replacement can anyone tell me what the comparable model of pants is from Kuiu? The Timberline pants have removable knee pads, as well as waterproof knees and seat.

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
Never had the timberline pants. The Kuiu Talus Hybrid have been a solid pair of pants for me. No removable knee pad, but they have exterior knee pad.

Zipper vents and the pockets are nice. Treat them every wash with a water proofing spray so they don't wet out.

Gerbdog

WKR
I been using first lite obsidian foundry pants for 4 seasons now and couldnt be happier. Theyve been put through just about every kind of crap you can imagine from absolute soaking wet, 80 degree days hiking, down to freezing cold and then into thorns and briar underbrush and i gotta say.... always happy to be wearing them.

No holes, no busted seems, blood and mud comes out easily

not one of the brands you mentioned, and doesnt have a removable knee .... although it may have a spot for one.... i'd have to go double check that

Venom One

WKR
The Talus Hybrid would be the closest match to the Timberline.

The Axis Hybrid is similar without the kneepads.

Both have hip vents IIRC.

OP
Indian Summer
Thanks for the feedback. Two questions about the Talus Hybrids….

I see they have a waterproof breathable membrane. I HATE rain gear and I have found that products like Gore Tex don’t breathe nearly enough for an elk hunter doing his morning elevation gains. In addition to that these have a “lightly insulated fleece backer”. So the question is how much did you sweat when grinding out some steep hills or packing elk?

Next question is about restriction of movement. Really important! 4 way stretch is my favorite thing about Sitka Timberline pants. These sound a bit thicker. I also read a review here saying the stiffness was noticeable when lifting your knees ascending inclines.

Your thoughts on those two things?

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
I did notice sweating a bit more in them with the fleece, but that was compaired to the stone glacier de havilland lite, which are really thin. The hip vents help to some degree. With Gaiters, lower legs sweat.

Mine were a bit longer in the legs so I didn't notice any restrictions.

I recommend Kuiu attack pants and just carry a lightweight pair of knee pads when you need them. The only time I ever needed knee pads was antelope hunting and one out of about 10 times Oryx hunting.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Late season snow is an issue. I like light pants for early season but I’m tired of wet knees and butt when there’s snow on the ground. My buddy has talus and loves them. We hunted a late season this year and I was wet. He wasn’t.

Yep, Talus are a good choice for a late season with snow. I would have been wet if I didn’t find a rock to sit on during my son’s late season hunt. Had about 8” of fresh snow a day after Christmas.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I love my timberlines but was wishimg they had a zipper that goes all the way up the legs. I tried one of first Lites pants that have the zipper, I believe the catalyst foundry pants. Wasn't impressed because the zippers on the legs caught on the material all the time going up and down, I took them in to a seamstress and she fixed that problem for me. Still haven't figured out how to make the knee pads stay in place. Does KUIU make one that has the zippers?

I have been using Sitka Timberline pants for years. They’re beat to death, so it’s time for a replacement can anyone tell me what the comparable model of pants is from Kuiu? The Timberline pants have removable knee pads, as well as waterproof knees and seat.
I'm all sitka but kuiu pants our way better in my opinion. Out West and in Midwest too

OP
Indian Summer
More good feedback thanks!

Hmm… they sound like great pants for late season or ugly weather.

But early/mid October in Wyoming or Montana can be dry and even warm. The Timberline pants are in insulated. Underneath I wear a light merino base from Sitka or Black Ovis. If it gets colder I’ll add an extreme Under Armor insulated base and maybe a light polyester jogging pants over that if needed.

If it gets extreme I’ll go to wool but that’s rare. Is there a better choice that won’t be too warm during those 40-50+ degree days?

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Sitka Timberline, Kuiu Talus Hybrid and Kuiu Attack. I hunt in MT from early archery season through rifle with layering. I really like the zipper sides on Kuiu pants for ventilation. Kuiu Attack pant for warm days if moisture is not expected. Kuiu Talus Hybrid for everything else. I like my Sitka Timberline pants (served their purpose for several years) but they don’t have side vents and the water resistance is gone. They are comfortable but soak-up water if the brush is wet and no vents for climbs. My vote would be Kuiu if I was going to buy another pair of hunting pants.

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running the Kuiu Pro Pants for the past 4 years and I love em. They come with knee pads which really come in handy more than you realize when you're hunting. Especially if you're camping on the ground. I also own some Attack Pants that I wear as daily casual wear. They run a little hotter, so I wouldn't wear them on early season hunts.

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Are the suspenders and the suspender tabs on the Timberline pants removable?

Scoot

WKR
Kuiu Pro sounds like what you're looking for in a Kuiu product. Maybe I missed it, but why are you going away from the Timberlines? I think the Kuiu Pros won't be quite as strong in the knee and butt as the Timberlines, but will be slightly cooler than them.

Are the suspenders and the suspender tabs on the Timberline pants removable?
Yes they are.

I have timberline. They are.... fragile IMO. I would have been money ahead to buy 10 pair of wrangler outdoor pants. Fragile in the same way, but just a lot cheaper.

I did get a pair of First Lite Catalyst Foundry pants. I like them way better than anything else I've used and will likely buy more. Those, to me, are worth the price.

P dog

FNG
I have used the Kuiu Pro pant with built in knee pads and the Guide pant for elk hunting in Sept. and Oct. Both have worked well. Antelope in September the Tiburon gets my vote. They all have held up great and i love the side zippers as stated above.

I recommend Kuiu attack pants and just carry a lightweight pair of knee pads when you need them. The only time I ever needed knee pads was antelope hunting and one out of about 10 times Oryx hunting.
Attacks are my go to pant. Throw a base layer under and they do great in the cold or open the vents and they do great in the heat. Decently tough material, drys quick, somewhat water repellent.

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Yes they are.

I have timberline. They are.... fragile IMO. I would have been money ahead to buy 10 pair of wrangler outdoor pants. Fragile in the same way, but just a lot cheaper.

I did get a pair of First Lite Catalyst Foundry pants. I like them way better than anything else I've used and will likely buy more. Those, to me, are worth the price.
What do you mean by fragile? Thorns or briar fragile or tearing easily? I plan on mainly stand hunting or light stalking. I don't really plan on traveling much. Figure these would be ideal for conditions I mainly expect to hunt in. I think the sratus pants would be too much. Also thinking about the walk in also. Figure these would be in between and better option for having a decent layer underneath and easier to find on sale from what I been seeing. Routinely see Sitka around 40% off often.