Part 2 ofThe pack out from hell.

1am Tuesday morning. We take our packs off, sweaty, over heated but I knew the air was cold. We decided to take a nap. The truck was about 4 km away and it still haunted my thoughts. Thomas fell asleep first; they say finding a good hunting partner is harder than finding a good wife, you have to not just like them, you have to love who they are and trust them with your life. Thomas and Isaiah are both the most solid hunting partners i could have asked for. Saying this both Thomas and I cuddled up back to back to keep warm, and out of Isaiahs exhaustion he stayed where he was and was out. About a foot away he layed beside me. They both fell asleep, I couldn't I was in a better state of mind, but also more worried about what was around the corner. I knew if I fell asleep I would freeze. Sure enough 30 mins go by and I notice Isaiah start to shiver, his buddy slowly entering shock. I got him in close but it was to late, once you start to get a deep shiver it won't go away until you get warmed up enough to fend it off. I started a small fire in a natural divit in the ground, for the size it made a heat wave that warmed us up a ridiculous amount, and it brought our spirits up. We knew we could set up the tent, our bags were buried and it was to steep to lay down and stay in one spot, again we kept going. This time it was like we were being pushed. The closer we got the more determined we became.

Now 2 km away from the truck we were about 500 yards away from the fsr. We thought we hit the bottom but we made our way into a swamp and went through it, instead of going down now we were going up. It felt good for a change, our feet in pain, so much so that the change of position from going down to up made them numb. The sun started to come up, we could see the road through the trees, relieved and tired we went through the ditch and onto flat ground. Wow. What did we just do? Why did we do it? Was it a bad call. Yes, we had been up for over 32 hours, hiking 80% of the time, not alot of water, ate all of our sugary snacks to keep us going. We dropped our bags and started toward the truck. 1.5 km down the road we went no weight, just us our bottles and the clothes on our backs we came across a stream and drank more than we could handle, being in the state we were in it made us was to throw up, drinking glacier fed water and being over exhausted and thirsty it bright shock to our system. It felt like an instant hangover!

Regretting pounding back water so quick we kept going. There was the truck in all its glory, an older dodge. Before we went up we had wondered about the battery dying, and sure enough it was right dead. Again sweaty, cold and now felt luke we were stranded. Back to the packs we went so we could grab more layers, when we got to the packs we thought why didn't we just keep going with them in the first place. Back to the truck we go and starting another fire is what crossed our minds, but it was alot more wet in the valley than is was on the side of the mountain. The morning dew and recent drizzle of rain sat as the sun hadn't jet that spot. Battery still dealer than our bodies we heard a diesel truck come around the corner, 2 older gentlemen from Vancouver up for a moose hunt. We flagged them down and they hooked up, it wouldn't turn over. They said if we sat with the batteries hooked up long enough we could possibly get one spark big enough to turn the truck over. So we exchanged story's from past adventures, told them about our stupidity and after about 35 mins we tried one more time. Home free! We thanked the gentleman and offered our beer to them andbthey declined. They were just happy to help us out! I've never been into drinking alot, or shotguning a beer, i prefer slow and steady, but at 6am on that Tuesday I shotgunned my first beer with my two good friends, the taste of victory and pain all in one go.

Thank you to Thomas and Isaiah, I couldn't have done it without you, and to the gentleman that stopped to help us thank you.

. I would never put anyone in that position again

Pic #1 Thomas's goat kill, with the ridge we hicked back toward God's trench.

Pic #2 looking back at #1

Pic #one last glass and view.

Attachments

• 20200817_125244.jpg
    20200817_125244.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 265
  • 20200817_175621.jpg
    20200817_175621.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 265
  • 20200817_093832.jpg
    20200817_093832.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

Erict

WKR
I gotta be honest and say that I started reading your post but have a real hard time reading a 10,000 word paragraph. Try splitting it up next time or go back and parse your post up into readable chunks. Nice pics, and congrats!

OP
Brower-bark98
I gotta be honest and say that I started reading your post but have a real hard time reading a 10,000 word paragraph. Try splitting it up next time or go back and parse your post up into readable chunks. Nice pics, and congrats!
Thanks for the feedback!

Decker9

WKR
I will echo, it’s a tough read, I’m not a very good reader as is haha, splittinger up into paragraphs would make it a lot easier. I’ll make it through it though!!

Definitely looking forward to reading these on my coffee break tonight! The toughest pack outs, are the most memorable!! And make for great stories :D

OP
Brower-bark98
I will echo, it’s a tough read, I’m not a very good reader as is haha, splittinger up into paragraphs would make it a lot easier. I’ll make it through it though!!

Definitely looking forward to reading these on my coffee break tonight! The toughest pack outs, are the most memorable!! And make for great stories :D
Fair enough lol! I'm not much of a reader either. Thank you i hope you enjoy it! Lots i wish I could add but it would be way long.

AKG

FNG
You guys had a tough haul; it's no fun running out of water and food like that. My own adventures haven't found me out hiking that long and it's always been cedar swamps and beaver floodings rather than cliffs and mountains that have left me thirsty and exhausted when I got back to the truck. Good story!

slatty

WKR
Thanks for the read. Man that sounded awful. In hindsight it sounds like you suggest staying the night at high camp would have been the better option. Although i've felt like this myself, nobody intends for hunting to feel like a deathmarch and hopefully it shouldn't ever.