PBB Tikka 6CM accuracy issues

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
FYI, a few of us have been providing feedback and pushing for lighter contours from PVA. If you go that route it might be worth asking if you could get lighter than what they have on the drop down menu for their order. Might not get it at a sale price though?

Some related background starting roughly around post 441:
Thanks for linking the SH thread. I did end up ordering a PVA 6 Creed 18” in the lightest contour available on the sale a #5 Brux which seems similar to a 3b. I was stuck thinking I needed a 20” minimum but playing around with a ballistic calculator a 60 fps loss of a 18” 6 Creed still has plenty of velocity for my needs. The 2” shorter barrel should help a bit with weight and balance for a supressor despite the heavier barrel.

If Josh does end up making that new lighter contour an option I might have to change my order if he will allow it. One thing that pushed me to PVA over PBB is the engagement and positive feedback PVA has had on the Hide.

Tullis94

WKR
Heard back from PBB yesterday. They looked over the barreled action and didn’t see anything that looked wrong… Now they want me to send a rail or rings for the gun and the trigger so they can shoot it. No biggie just would have been faster and cheaper if they would have had me send this back with the barreled action when I sent it..
we will see
Any updates from PBB on your barrel?

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
Have you done any trigger modifications? I was running into accuracy issues on a Tikka after mounting a new scope and rings (Leupold and tally’s). This rifle had always shot great. I chased down every variable I could. Eventually I found the trigger assembly had loosened over time from the anction after changing out the spring. It was loose to the point I think it was affecting lock time and accuracy. I cleaned the treads, put blue loctite on, tourqued the snot out of it and it went back to shooting as expected. Upgraded to Sportsmatch rings and SWFA since then. Just a thought

OP
kkp005

kkp005

WKR
Have you done any trigger modifications? I was running into accuracy issues on a Tikka after mounting a new scope and rings (Leupold and tally’s). This rifle had always shot great. I chased down every variable I could. Eventually I found the trigger assembly had loosened over time from the anction after changing out the spring. It was loose to the point I think it was affecting lock time and accuracy. I cleaned the treads, put blue loctite on, tourqued the snot out of it and it went back to shooting as expected. Upgraded to Sportsmatch rings and SWFA since then. Just a thought
I had changed out the spring years ago when it was a 308 and never had any issues. I’ll keep that in mind when I get it back

OP
kkp005

kkp005

WKR
Well I finally heard back from them. Apparently they don’t shoot the guns in house and send them to a 3rd party guy…
Got an email that said your gun is back…. And a picture of a 3 shot group with load data. Looks like the guy ran 42gr of staball 6.5 and 103gr eldx supposedly shot .4” groups…

I asked PBB what all they tried in terms of different loads and Bryce told me that they didn’t know. The guy that shoots guns in for them is apparently “a recluse” and they can’t ever really get any information out of him…Bryce at PBB said they would try to pry some more info out of the guy to see if he tried any other loads. I would just like to know if that’s the first load he tried and got sub 1/2” groups or if he shot a shit ton of different loads and didn’t find anything shot good except this specific load.

I’m by no means a gun newbie.. but mine flat out wouldn’t shoot anything I put in it. I just don’t want to be handicapped with one specific load for a gun that I’ve got a lot of $$ in.

Attachments

• IMG_8442.png
    IMG_8442.png
    413.8 KB · Views: 98

Bluumoon

WKR
Maybe not what you want to hear, but sounds like PBB went above and beyond. Did they charge you for the load work up? I have a barrel on order with them, good to know they have a responsive customer service.

OP
kkp005

kkp005

WKR
Talked to Bryce again. He’s trying to be helpful but hasn’t been able to get in contact with the guy that shoots. Told me he’d have an update by Monday

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
that's rough. i don't want to disbelieve them, but there's very little information they're getting for any "testing" they're having done whether for your issue or any other issue.

and saying your tester is a "recluse" when you're pretty much a UT suburb of Colorado City is, well, redundant.

Sled

WKR
Well I finally heard back from them. Apparently they don’t shoot the guns in house and send them to a 3rd party guy…
Got an email that said your gun is back…. And a picture of a 3 shot group with load data. Looks like the guy ran 42gr of staball 6.5 and 103gr eldx supposedly shot .4” groups…

I asked PBB what all they tried in terms of different loads and Bryce told me that they didn’t know. The guy that shoots guns in for them is apparently “a recluse” and they can’t ever really get any information out of him…Bryce at PBB said they would try to pry some more info out of the guy to see if he tried any other loads. I would just like to know if that’s the first load he tried and got sub 1/2” groups or if he shot a shit ton of different loads and didn’t find anything shot good except this specific load.

I’m by no means a gun newbie.. but mine flat out wouldn’t shoot anything I put in it. I just don’t want to be handicapped with one specific load for a gun that I’ve got a lot of $$ in.
Here's my opinion, take it or leave it.

First...the amount of time, effort, component costs and the like are not worth messing with a problem barrel. If it won't shoot, get another one. You will be far ahead in the long run.

Secondly, if you'll stick to more established barrel makers you'll have a lower chance of getting a lemon. I've learned this lesson the hard way multiple times.

OP
kkp005

kkp005

WKR

First...the amount of time, effort, component costs and the like are not worth messing with a problem barrel. If it won't shoot, get another one. You will be far ahead in the long run.

Secondly, if you'll stick to more established barrel makers you'll have a lower chance of getting a lemon. I've learned this lesson the hard way multiple times.
Very valid opinion.. and you’re right.

Alamo precision put a 6mm brux barrel on my Bergara and turned it into a 6cm.. I literally can’t find anything that it will not shoot in tiny little groups. It was going to be like $250-300 more bucks this time for APR to rebarrel my tikka and instead I pinched dimes and went PBB.

Hell I’ve got almost that much extra money invested in this current PBB when I factor in all the shipping cost, ammo and components I’ve wasted so far…. Plus my freaking time…..

Mike 338

WKR
Wow... "we don't test our returns". We send them to a recluse who won't talk to us in detail or return our calls. Your reporting on your issue is much appreciated. I had an issue with a Utah custom gunsmith. What is it about Utah?

Sled

WKR
Wow... "we don't test our returns". We send them to a recluse who won't talk to us in detail or return our calls. Your reporting on your issue is much appreciated. I had an issue with a Utah custom gunsmith. What is it about Utah?

Utah has a lot of hacks when it comes to "gunsmiths", and I use that term loosely. Anybody here with a lathe will take your money and give it a college try. I send my stuff out or use Preece Precision in Ogden. Garrett does good work. There may be a few others that I haven't tried but I like to stick with what works.

Lawnboi

WKR

The first part. Anyone can make a dud too. Identifying early and cutting the loss will save you in the long run.

Accuracy guarantees are also largely bullshit. I can make anything shoot a decent three round group eventually

OP
kkp005

kkp005

WKR
I was supposed to hear back Monday but haven’t. Just sent them an email and told them to just send me the gun back. I’ll try the 103eldx load and tinker with some more. Hopefully I’m not stuck with one load that shoots decent. I guess I’ll see if they want to try to charge me the $100 3rd party testing fee.

Oh well. I’ll just chalk this one up to a lesson learned and move on

OP
kkp005

kkp005

WKR
I was supposed to hear back Monday but haven’t. Just sent them an email and told them to just send me the gun back. I’ll try the 103eldx load and tinker with some more. Hopefully I’m not stuck with one load that shoots decent. I guess I’ll see if they want to try to charge me the $100 3rd party testing fee.

Oh well. I’ll just chalk this one up to a lesson learned and move on
Well they still weren’t able to get in contact with their 3rd party guy that checks accuracy.

I told Bryce to just send me the gun and I’d be done. Got an invoice for $127 for the “accuracy testing” and shipping. I’ll have over $200 extra bucks tied up in the gun now from sending it back…. That puts at over $1000 bucks in rechamber and barrel. Should have just sent it to Alamo precision and had another fine shooting rifle.

Sled

WKR
Well they still weren’t able to get in contact with their 3rd party guy that checks accuracy.

I told Bryce to just send me the gun and I’d be done. Got an invoice for $127 for the “accuracy testing” and shipping. I’ll have over $200 extra bucks tied up in the gun now from sending it back…. That puts at over $1000 bucks in rechamber and barrel. Should have just sent it to Alamo precision and had another fine shooting rifle.

Sorry it turned out that way for you.