WKR
Recently got my barreled action back from
Preferred barrel blanks. Sent them a 308 and had it turned into a 6cm
Specs on rifle are
18” lite hybrid contour threaded 5/8-24
In a Stockys vg stock
Triji credo scope in Talley rings.
Paid the extra $65 for the lapping service

I’ve never had to “break” a gun in but this thing is giving me fits. Have about 60 rounds in it and it consistently shoots 2” to 2.5” groups with everything. Hand loaded 95gr TMK’s and NBT’s, factory 105gr hornady hpbt and 108gr Eldm. My APR 6 creed shoots all of these literally in 1/2” groups and I can shoot sub 1” groups with any of this ammo in a Ruger predator topped with a thermal.

Maybe I’m being impatient but I was expecting more. The only rifle I’ve ever had to chase accuracy out of was a Bergara ridge.. I eventually gave up on it and just sent it off to APR for a rebarrel.

I guess on my next days off I’ll take this thing apart and put it back together just to make sure there’s nothing wrong on my end.

Attachments

• IMG_7628.jpeg
    IMG_7628.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 138

mmw194287

WKR
I started feeding mine factory 108 ELD-M match and it's been very impressive.
Just screwed it on and shot.
.810 Straight Taper, 24", threaded 5/8-24", spiral flute, no lapping.

Eleven shots (rounds 25-35 in that barrel)....wanted a 10 round group, but pulled one.

1698772952661.png

Sled

WKR
Sorry you have issues with the barrel. If you've tried all the usual suspects like scope, mounts and action screws then it's time to call preferred and have them look at it. A bad barrel is not worth the time or ammo to troubleshoot anymore.

OP
kkp005

kkp005

WKR
Have you talked to Preferred?
Not yet. I’ve got a MDT chasis that a 223 is in that I was gonna put the gun in to just confirm it’s not a stock issue. Not gonna be able to do that until maybe this weekend

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
glad they're gonna take a look at it. i've been toying with the idea of sending them my 7 mag to put a 300 WSM barrel on it....

brockel

WKR
Only have had two PBB barrels but both have shot great. Ordering a third here soon. Hope they make it right with you

Harvey_NW

WKR
Something is wonky, I have faith that they'll fix it if you give them the benefit of the doubt. A PBB .750" taperless prefit is my best shooting barrel.

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
OP, do you have any results from this? I’m interested in going with PBB or PVA for a 6 Creed Tikka prefit on their Black Friday sales. The hybrid lite contour from PBB as well as better price has me leaning that way. Also, did get a weight on this setup before you sent it back?

Sadler

WKR
OP, do you have any results from this? I’m interested in going with PBB or PVA for a 6 Creed Tikka prefit on their Black Friday sales. The hybrid lite contour from PBB as well as better price has me leaning that way. Also, did get a weight on this setup before you sent it back?
I talked to them a couple days ago and he estimated an 18” 6-6.5 PRC with the hybrid lite contour at 2lbs 6 ounces.

OP
kkp005

kkp005

WKR
I never weighed it with the scope. Here’s what it was on a bathroom scale

Attachments

• IMG_8103.jpeg
    IMG_8103.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
OP
kkp005

kkp005

WKR
Heard back from PBB yesterday. They looked over the barreled action and didn’t see anything that looked wrong… Now they want me to send a rail or rings for the gun and the trigger so they can shoot it. No biggie just would have been faster and cheaper if they would have had me send this back with the barreled action when I sent it..
we will see

atmat

WKR
I have a PBB 6creed in Hybrid Lite and it shoots great. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Harvey_NW

WKR
If there was any doubts in the setup, I would place my bet on the Talley's. I've had good luck with them in the past, but also seen a lot of issues with caps cracking. Might pick up a pair of the UM rings, and don't slide the front one too far forward in the dovetail.

FYI, a few of us have been providing feedback and pushing for lighter contours from PVA. If you go that route it might be worth asking if you could get lighter than what they have on the drop down menu for their order. Might not get it at a sale price though?

Some related background starting roughly around post 441:

OP
kkp005

kkp005

WKR
If there was any doubts in the setup, I would place my bet on the Talley's. I've had good luck with them in the past, but also seen a lot of issues with caps cracking. Might pick up a pair of the UM rings, and don't slide the front one too far forward in the dovetail.
Yeah I think I’m going to order a set of UMs just to have a bullet proof setup