Peep sight

What is everyone running for peep sights on your bow. I know this is pretty small part of the whole system but I read horror stories all the time of peeps cutting strings and such. Every bow I have ever had setup at my local shop has had different peeps in them and I have no clue who made them. Now that I am doing my own work and setting up my own bows I am curious of others experiences. I was pretty dead set on the newer Hamskea raptor peep, however later realized they are very heavy compared to others on the market. Thanks

OP
E
G5 makes a good peep

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response, I love G5/Prime as a company so no issues there. I have heard the meta or the meta pro peeps are some of the ones with jagged edges causing string fraying. Any experience with this ?

I’m running a Specialty Archery Products 1/4” peep with a reducer and I believe the 1/8” aperture. I have the kit that includes the 3/32” and 1/16” apertures as well. This kit and a dovetail sight helped me to fine tune the “halo” sight picture between my scope housing and sight aperture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have run a Fletcher peep for years. I have been using the the specialty archery peep in a few bows now. I like changing the aperture for different sights. But it's pricey. You can buy several of the Fletcher peeps for the price of the specialty. Never had a problem with either.

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the response, I love G5/Prime as a company so no issues there. I have heard the meta or the meta pro peeps are some of the ones with jagged edges causing string fraying. Any experience with this ?
No I haven't had any problems

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've used Fletcher's for years. Last year I put the Hamskea Raptor peep on one bow and liked it. Recently I picked up my other bow with the Fletcher and after 1/2 day of shooting I changed it out to the Raptor too. After using the Raptor, it's hard to go backwards now.

TravisIN

WKR
I put a hamskea raptor in a month ago. I doubt I’ll use anything else now. It just makes your sight picture a lot better. I was concerned about light gathering but is a non issue. As far as the weight, it is heavier but the difference was negligible. I don’t chrono anything so I can’t speak on speed but I didn’t have to change my sight tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the total peep. I already knew what sis worked best with my sight housing on each bow. I had two Hamskea insight peeps and just found they were too sensitive to minor rotation. The total peep blocks glare and doesn’t shift point of impact with rotation on sun angle /lighting.

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
I put Radical Archery Designs super deuce 38 in every bow going out of the shop (unless they want the Hamskea)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
E
For those of you using the raptor peep or total peep what size are you running. I have always had 3/16 in my other bows, I know the raptor and total both say to size one down from current setup. A 1/8 peep sounds really small to me.

TravisIN

WKR
For those of you using the raptor peep or total peep what size are you running. I have always had 3/16 in my other bows, I know the raptor and total both say to size one down from current setup. A 1/8 peep sounds really small to me.

I went 3/16 and it’s fine. I had a 3/16 rad peep in before. Shooting a five pin Hogg father, the older style pin guard not the mrt, and did not have to adjust my dovetail length at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I size may peep based on the sight housing with respect to the distance it is from my eye - whatever it takes to get the proper “halo” sight picture. I don’t use raptor or total. I use a Specialty Archery with changeable apertures.

I size may peep based on the sight housing with respect to the distance it is from my eye - whatever it takes to get the proper “halo” sight picture. I don’t use raptor or total. I use a Specialty Archery with changeable apertures.

YUP,.. What I use, too ! 1/4" large, 37* , Alum. Peep. with, a Number 5 "Verifier", to "clear" my Pins up as, I Wear Bifocals. Most, "good" Archery shops have them, not cheap but, I shoot, quite a bit,.. BETTER, now !
Might look on YouTube.com/user/SpecialtyArcheryLLC. Good luck !

Only way to know is to draw your bow in bright direct sunlight and make sure you can see your entire sight housing or at least the inner edge as that is the smallest your eye will perceive the sight picture. As light fades you will begin to see a gap appear around the outside of your sight housing. That is when you know your peep is sized correctly. Its different with everyone base on bow, sight, sight length, and draw length. The Black Gold Bid Dog housing requires a 1/4" on one of my bows and the standard Black Gold sight housing requires a 3/16" on the other bow.

Only way to know is to draw your bow in bright direct sunlight and make sure you can see your entire sight housing or at least the inner edge as that is the smallest your eye will perceive the sight picture. As light fades you will begin to see a gap appear around the outside of your sight housing. That is when you know your peep is sized correctly. Its different with everyone base on bow, sight, sight length, and draw length. The Black Gold Bid Dog housing requires a 1/4" on one of my bows and the standard Black Gold sight housing requires a 3/16" on the other bow.

I have the 2" big dog housing and use 1/4" peep but I read that you should size down on the raptor peep so 3/16". Has this not been your experience?

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
RAD Super Deuce 38, 3/16" fits my sight housing perfect, I run the pink one I like to be able to pick it up quickly/easily on that note I also like my serving and D loop to be a bright, as well as a contrasting color to my string. It makes it easier to pick up your loop in low light when your trying to get your release on also the contrasting serving makes it easier to identify when your getting some separation you can't miss it.