Peterson, Starline or…?

6.5creedmoor

I think part of my ES issue is to to using Hornady brass that isn’t known for having consistent internal volumes/weights.

Looking to upgrade my brass but Lapaua seems to be out of stock everywhere (or is really expensive when in stock). What’s the next best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MThuntr

WKR
There are a ton of variables that contribute to big ES numbers. Who doesn't want perfect numbers but many would argue you're chasing your tail. Be sure to keep your loading process in check.

The answer is "it depends"....I prefer Peterson over Starline but have had good luck with Starline in smaller cartridges. ADG, Lapua, Norma, and Alpha are all pretty good choices too.

OP
T
There are a ton of variables that contribute to big ES numbers. Who doesn't want perfect numbers but many would argue you're chasing your tail. Be sure to keep your loading process in check.

The answer is "it depends"....I prefer Peterson over Starline but have had good luck with Starline in smaller cartridges. ADG, Lapua, Norma, and Alpha are all pretty good choices too.

Yeah I need to be careful with this rabbit hole lol

I’m also looking into stepping away from the expander ball and going to a mandrel to set neck tension as well as reduce the amount of work the neck sees.

Hoping this combined with better more consistent brass will get me closer to an ES around 20. I’m usually 30-40 right after

OP
T
What cartridge? The answer is Lapua if it's available IMO.

6.5cm, I will update the original post

I agree but I haven’t seen it available anywhere other than places that are price gouging

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Sharing just in case you havent found. Price is up there for sure. Lapua is all that I've used for my creed.

OP
T
Sharing just in case you havent found. Price is up there for sure. Lapua is all that I've used for my creed.

Thanks, unfortunately that is SRP and their LRP is out of stock

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks, unfortunately that is SRP and their LRP is out of stock

I would honestly recommend SRP at the moment anyway. I've been able to buy SRP for 6 months straight, while LRP has been impossible to get off the shelf.

But if you have a stock of LRP I understand. That's what I run as well

OP
T

Axlrod

WKR
Yeah I need to be careful with this rabbit hole lol

I’m also looking into stepping away from the expander ball and going to a mandrel to set neck tension as well as reduce the amount of work the neck sees.

Hoping this combined with better more consistent brass will get me closer to an ES around 20. I’m usually 30-40 right after

ADG brass is really good, up there with Lapua.
I have experimented with mandrels on a half dozen rifles and bushing dies without expander ball have shot as well or better. One thing to try is more neck tension. I have found more N.T. usually results in better consistency. I would try up to .004/.005 range. Easy to do with a few bushings.

As far as ES, how do the targets at long range look? I have had loads with a higher ES shoot better than a lower ES. I look at targets first, if it shoots good, ES is just a number I write in my load book.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I would pick Lapua, Alpha, or Peterson purely based on how many loadings they can take. I have never used ADG so I can’t comment on it. The question is how far are you shooting and what do the groups look like? Does ES even matter for what you are doing, most of my loads shoot better at a higher ES vs lower. If it comes up low great but I never chase it anymore I care way more about the group size and consistency.

Also how are you measuring it, as in how many shots. I can take a load and shoot it for 3 shots and have a 10-15 es but over 30+ shots it might grow to the 40s-60s. That same load might shoot an Moa 30 round group though.

OP
T
I would pick Lapua, Alpha, or Peterson purely based on how many loadings they can take. I have never used ADG so I can’t comment on it. The question is how far are you shooting and what do the groups look like? Does ES even matter for what you are doing, most of my loads shoot better at a higher ES vs lower. If it comes up low great but I never chase it anymore I care way more about the group size and consistency.

Also how are you measuring it, as in how many shots. I can take a load and shoot it for 3 shots and have a 10-15 es but over 30+ shots it might grow to the 40s-60s. That same load might shoot an Moa 30 round group though.

Measuring mainly using a cheap Caldwell chrono because I usually shoot with a can. A shot or two out of a 10 shot group I will remove the can and use the magento. When I use the magneto I usually also use the Caldwell and I’ve seen some funny numbers from the Caldwell. For example one shot was 2684 with the magneto which showed up at 2718 on the Caldwell. Next shot will show up at say 2706 on the magento but the Caldwell shows it as 2770.

So right there I know the Caldwell isn’t ideal but I haven’t broken down and bought a garmin or Labradar. But from the few shots I’ve used the magento with this load I’ve seen: 2708,2687, 2706,2684 so not great for only 4 data points

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Measuring mainly using a cheap Caldwell chrono because I usually shoot with a can. A shot or two out of a 10 shot group I will remove the can and use the magento. When I use the magneto I usually also use the Caldwell and I’ve seen some funny numbers from the Caldwell. For example one shot was 2684 with the magneto which showed up at 2718 on the Caldwell. Next shot will show up at say 2706 on the magento but the Caldwell shows it as 2770.

So right there I know the Caldwell isn’t ideal but I haven’t broken down and bought a garmin or Labradar. But from the few shots I’ve used the magento with this load I’ve seen: 2708,2687, 2706,2684 so not great for only 4 data points

So going off those 4 shots you have an ES of 24 what isnt to say that the next 26+ won’t fall in that same spread? Unless you are really reaching out there I wouldn’t be so concerned with your ES. I’m not saying don’t switch to better brass it’s worth it imo but don’t be upset if your es doesn’t change enough to say so.

OP
T
Going to load up some and go shoot them tomorrow without the can and with the magento and Caldwell. Will follow up with my findings and see where my ES falls

Can you get a few cases you are considering from a forum member and try them out to see if it really is the brass? I don't load for your cartridge but would help out if I could.

What distance are you shooting? Like has been said, don't over analyze and get caught up in the drama of chasing it.

You don't know if you have a brass problem or not, honestly.

Lawnboi

WKR
Agreed if you can get lapua, get lapua. It’s the brass all others are compared to.

If I couldn’t get lapua my next choice would be alpha or Peterson in no particular order.