Petition - OTC for Colorado Residents

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
How about we all have the discussion about how Hawaiian feel about tourists also cause Colorado residents sound just like them. Complaining every step of the way when they fail to realize they are nothing without them. Complaining every step of the way while they suck from the tit of the state on every program they can. Coloradans are literally the new Hawaiians. Plus they vote just like them; Dems all the way.
There are 6 million people in Colorado and tourism accounts for 13% of revenue. There are 1.4 million people in Hawaii and tourism is over 30% of their revenue. Colorado has a robust economy outside of tourism....10 fortune 500 companies, industry, huge tech, energy and financial presence. Eliminating tourism would make my life exponentially better, in fact, and all I would pay is $640 more a year in taxes in exchange for it. I'd take that trade all day, every day. $640 a year more in taxes (which is the direct per household benefit in tax relief generated from tourism) doesn't qualify as "we would be nothing without tourists" to me. That's about half of one month's worth of property taxes on my house.

Also, 2/3rds of the counties in Colorado are still RED. Cross reference the big game hunting units, ag, rural and most mountain communities with the blue registered counties and see how many overlap. Colorado is a blue state because of the major metro population centers on the front range. Most of the people in the cities are transplants.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
There are 6 million people in Colorado and tourism accounts for 13% of revenue. There are 1.4 million people in Hawaii and tourism is over 30% of their revenue. Colorado has a robust economy outside of tourism....10 fortune 500 companies, industry, huge tech, energy and financial presence. Eliminating tourism would make my life exponentially better, in fact, and all I would pay is $640 more a year in taxes in exchange for it. I'd take that trade all day, every day. $640 a year more in taxes (which is the direct per household benefit in tax relief generated from tourism) doesn't qualify as "we would be nothing without tourists" to me. That's about half of one month's worth of property taxes on my house.

Also, 2/3rds of the counties in Colorado are still RED. Cross reference the big game hunting units, ag, rural and most mountain communities with the blue registered counties and see how many overlap. Colorado is a blue state because of the major metro population centers on the front range. Most of the people in the cities are transplants.
And 75% of the states revenue is in the front range I’d guess, could be wrong. Many mountain towns rely on tourism to survive.

Eliminating tourism would make the western part of the state a ghost town other then a handful of places.

Heck Pagosa Springs population doubles if not more in the summer vs winter and you sure see a heck of a lot of out of state plates constantly. Go to Lake City in the summer and tell us it’s mainly CO residents plates you see, this is the same in many of these mountain towns far from the front range. I’d say where my property is is 60% NR ownership.

Yes the western part of the state is Red but they wouldn’t live there if tourism went away.

Tourism is huge for the small towns without a vibrant tech or Fortune 500 companies.

Downtown Denver could use some help as well if the state is so flush with cash that it doesn’t need tourism, if you’re planning to subsidize all those that live in the 80% of the state that rely on tourism you should first clean up the front range, never seen so many tent cities.

Mtndawger

FNG
Admittedly, the petition reads a bit confrontational for my liking towards non-res hunters. But the first paragraph explains the situation more clearly and contains some context you appear to be dismissing. Currently, CPW is openly discussing removing OTC for ALL archery hunters. CPW leadership has been quite outspoken about this approach to curbing overcrowding. They have also mentioned Rifle OTC changes will be considered as well.

Listening to CPW committee meetings over the last couple months has made it clear, archery OTC is as good as gone, likely for resident and non-resident. I don't speak for the author, but I safely assume from reading the first paragraph of the petition and from the context of the ongoing discussions at CPW meetings, that this petition is an attempt to KEEP OTC for residents rather than an attempt to REMOVE OTC for non-residents.
Thank you for providing some context! Too many posts offered up as absolutist prophesies with absolutely no contextual thought given. Most of the Opinions here are not facts and don’t actually, in most cases, appear to be based on any shared knowledge. It’s a shame and it really mucks up finding any reasonable solutions

The travel and tourism industry has a profound economic impact on the United States, as well as Colorado. Travelers to the Centennial State spent $22.5 billion in 2021, up nearly 42% from the previous year. This generated $1.5 billion in local and state revenues, reducing the tax burden for every Colorado household by $690. Direct travel-generated employment in 2021 grew to 162,000, a gain of approximately 14,900 jobs, and a 10% increase compared to 2020. Prior to the pandemic, the U.S. travel industry generated $2.6 trillion in economic impact and Colorado generated $24.2 billion in economic impact.

I assume this is what you're talking about. what do you suppose happens with the rest of the money? do you really think 640$ x 6 M is going to cover 22.5 B? what about the jobs and business that are solely based on tourism? Colorado is no different than any other state when it comes to tourims dollars, we all need it.

I have a serious question that I was just curious about. what does Colorado have against blacktop lol?
all those tax dollars and you can't get paved roads? what's the deal?
I know, off topic, but this thread has taken a few turns so why not ask a stupid question lol.

Mtndawger

FNG
And 75% of the states revenue is in the front range I’d guess, could be wrong. Many mountain towns rely on tourism to survive.

Eliminating tourism would make the western part of the state a ghost town other then a handful of places.

Heck Pagosa Springs population doubles if not more in the summer vs winter and you sure see a heck of a lot of out of state plates constantly. Go to Lake City in the summer and tell us it’s mainly CO residents plates you see, this is the same in many of these mountain towns far from the front range. I’d say where my property is is 60% NR ownership.

Yes the western part of the state is Red but they wouldn’t live there if tourism went away.

Tourism is huge for the small towns without a vibrant tech or Fortune 500 companies.

Downtown Denver could use some help as well if the state is so flush with cash that it doesn’t need tourism, if you’re planning to subsidize all those that live in the 80% of the state that rely on tourism you should first clean up the front range, never seen so many tent cities.
Nobody but you and a couple others are talking about eliminating tourism. You guys are way off topic. The OP is about how a group of sportsman have circulated a petition to maintain OTC hunting for residents. You should go and read it. They did not create a petition to exclude NR from hunting here. All the rest is chicken little thinking and threatening like spoiled children. Do any single one of the NR have a clue to the impact this state has seen since 2020 WRT non resident impact on hunting? Sure, economically it looks like Colorado hit the jackpot. But at the expense of the quality of life of a huge percentage of the population and the hunting community in particular. And despite what you hear or think you know, the elk and deer herds in more units than not are in decline or struggling to maintain. Why is that? Climate change, real estate development, recreational pursuits spanning hikers, bicyclists, atv, motorcyclists, snowmobiles and jeeps encroaching on their summer calving and wintering habitats. Colorado was doing just fine before it was assailed with all of this.

Mtndawger

FNG
The travel and tourism industry has a profound economic impact on the United States, as well as Colorado. Travelers to the Centennial State spent $22.5 billion in 2021, up nearly 42% from the previous year. This generated $1.5 billion in local and state revenues, reducing the tax burden for every Colorado household by $690. Direct travel-generated employment in 2021 grew to 162,000, a gain of approximately 14,900 jobs, and a 10% increase compared to 2020. Prior to the pandemic, the U.S. travel industry generated $2.6 trillion in economic impact and Colorado generated $24.2 billion in economic impact.

I assume this is what you're talking about. what do you suppose happens with the rest of the money? do you really think 640$ x 6 M is going to cover 22.5 B? what about the jobs and business that are solely based on tourism? Colorado is no different than any other state when it comes to tourims dollars, we all need it.
It covers well over $1.6B in Tax Revenues Generated, which is the point of that post. over $4B actually. Do the math. Anyway, I thought this Thread was about how to maintain OTC privileges for residents.

tdhanses

WKR
Nobody but you and a couple others are talking about eliminating tourism. You guys are way off topic. The OP is about how a group of sportsman have circulated a petition to maintain OTC hunting for residents. You should go and read it. They did not create a petition to exclude NR from hunting here. All the rest is chicken little thinking and threatening like spoiled children. Do any single one of the NR have a clue to the impact this state has seen since 2020 WRT non resident impact on hunting? Sure, economically it looks like Colorado hit the jackpot. But at the expense of the quality of life of a huge percentage of the population and the hunting community in particular. And despite what you hear or think you know, the elk and deer herds in more units than not are in decline or struggling to maintain. Why is that? Climate change, real estate development, recreational pursuits spanning hikers, bicyclists, atv, motorcyclists, snowmobiles and jeeps encroaching on their summer calving and wintering habitats. Colorado was doing just fine before it was assailed with all of this.
I was just respond ing to those that keep saying it isn’t needed.

Currently, CPW is openly discussing removing OTC for ALL archery hunters. CPW leadership has been quite outspoken about this approach to curbing overcrowding. They have also mentioned Rifle OTC changes will be considered as well.

Listening to CPW committee meetings over the last couple months has made it clear, archery OTC is as good as gone, likely for resident and non-resident.

And all that is a good thing, in my opinion. I can definitely get behind and support that policy in Colorado. Thus one of the reasons why I signed the petition. I'm also looking forward to the year when Arizona does the same thing, for its archery deer hunting.

bsshaver

FNG
I wonder if hunting OTC for the past 20 years will help get drawn in the future. I have never put in for any preference points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It covers well over $1.6B in Tax Revenues Generated, which is the point of that post. over $4B actually. Do the math. Anyway, I thought this Thread was about how to maintain OTC privileges for residents.
uhhuh, so why are Coloradoans afraid of blacktop?
I know you're new here so a little heads up, when there isn't much to say on a topic (such as this) the thread must take a turn. currently the hot rokslide topics are NR and fed lands with the occasional wolf thrown in so here we are lol. do not be alarmed as this behavior is a normal side effect of cabin fever, and as the season starts it will transition into BOAL threads with any luck lol.
as far as I know everyone here has signed the petition, as it would be stupid not to and you can't really debate it.
also, I appreciate you telling me to do the math, but I did, and it still doesn't equal 22.5 billion. now if we could start a petition to use some of that 22.5B to pave some roads that would be fantastic, my car will thank you lol.

Sure, but only on lands owned by the state of Colorado. Federal lands are paid for by every person there, residents or not. Make it equal across the board which I deem fair since a large chunk of the whole CPW and ecosystem was paid for by non residents.

so, only pave the roads on the state owned land?
Wouldn't matter to me. If the roads are paved, it'll be crowded even with license caps. I agree, Colorado needs to make a change, but doing it at the cost of a large chunk of the wildlife budget isn't it. Yeah, you'll get less non residents, but what's the cost? Colorado is the last frontier for a lot of elk hunters, and without it, that group may just hang it up. Less voices where it matters. Something needs to be done. First come first serve with caps perhaps, but you don't want to have 10% non residents making up the total.

tdhanses

WKR
Wouldn't matter to me. If the roads are paved, it'll be crowded even with license caps. I agree, Colorado needs to make a change, but doing it at the cost of a large chunk of the wildlife budget isn't it. Yeah, you'll get less non residents, but what's the cost? Colorado is the last frontier for a lot of elk hunters, and without it, that group may just hang it up. Less voices where it matters. Something needs to be done. First come first serve with caps perhaps, but you don't want to have 10% non residents making up the total.
Oh there won’t be a loss for awhile, they’ll issue more then enough tags for each unit and you’ll be guaranteed a tag in the leftovers for a year or two, it’ll be awhile before it’s hard to get a tag.

They’ll then cap the units to what they think is the current max of NR hunters coming out, only a few will not draw by year 3. So in reality there will be no reduction in NR for many years to come.

Mtndawger

FNG
uhhuh, so why are Coloradoans afraid of blacktop?
I know you're new here so a little heads up, when there isn't much to say on a topic (such as this) the thread must take a turn. currently the hot rokslide topics are NR and fed lands with the occasional wolf thrown in so here we are lol. do not be alarmed as this behavior is a normal side effect of cabin fever, and as the season starts it will transition into BOAL threads with any luck lol.
as far as I know everyone here has signed the petition, as it would be stupid not to and you can't really debate it.
also, I appreciate you telling me to do the math, but I did, and it still doesn't equal 22.5 billion. now if we could start a petition to use some of that 22.5B to pave some roads that would be fantastic, my car will thank you lol.
I appreciate your sense of humor about it all even if it’s ironic. To be clear, the way I read that post is that the $22B in tourism $$ generated $1.6B in tax revenue. That was the equivalent tax revenue of $690 for each resident. If you believe the numbers then $690 per resident amounts to over $4B, Far outpacing that tax revenue amount cited. I get the silliness of that whole debate since it would never fly, but it seems like limiting the currently unlimited NR OTC tags has been equated to all non resident tourism. It just seems off topic and an unproductive debate. We don’t hate NR here but at the same time the influx has created a tremendous amount of impact that we are struggling to adapt to as residents.

We don’t hate NR here but at the same time the influx has created a tremendous amount of impact that we are struggling to adapt to as residents.

Other than big oil in 1968, that's exactly what went wrong with Alaska -- tourism and an extreme amount of it. Ruined the place.

R_burg

WKR
I didnt read the whole thread. Did it deteriorate into a pissing match?

I signed it - CO residents should keep their OTC.

Can we also start one of these where AZ charges as much as Montana does for NR elk tags, based on the population of each elk herd, respectfully?

By my math, that should put our NR tags over 5k. Should be enough to increase my odds of drawing, at least by a little.