Pheasant Recommendation

iHunt3

FNG
My brother and I have been doing a yearly hunting trip for the past 5 or so years and we have settled on pheasant for this year. Does anyone have any recommendations for a particular pheasant guide? We don’t really care where it is. He’ll be coming from Georgia and I am In Colorado, so we will both be traveling. Thanks all!

KurtR

WKR
Oahe wings and walleyes akaska sd. I guided there for 15 years great food great lodge and never a shortage of birds. Depending on when you come can make it a cast and blast with walleyes on lake oahe

coachmks

FNG
We use one in the Mitchell, SD area, but he stays booked a few years in advance. Southeastern area of South Dakota is hard to beat for pheasants. Lots of guides there.

if you own a dog I was just go unguided. Lots of public ground that hold birds in SD and knocking on doors is easy too. Don’t over look neighboring states too. iowa Minnesota nebraska are great as well. Historically Iowa killed more birds then SD but habitat isn’t there anymore

mcdues

FNG
My hunting buddies and I, we go to southern North Dakota almost every year, damn near right at the border. We're going again this upcoming fall, but have seen populations dwindle annually. All that said, fantastic hunting out there historically.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Even without a dog, I would DIY, early season. I could stay busy road hunting and walking ditches.

Or, pay $300 per gun per day and shoot planted birds. Alot of the outfitters buy and/or raise birds. Look over your birds for the ones with holes in their beaks. Those are the ones that were in a cardboard box delivered a couple days before you arrived.

There is different kinds of pheasant hunts. Here in the north east (PA and NY) wild birds are less of a thing. You can go to a preserve and it is fine, but if you really want to shoot some birds I think you should look hard at Kansas of the dakotas.

I go to a place in west Kansas once a year and it is a stupid amount of birds. We hunt for two days and nearly always limit out.

jmez

WKR
What kind of experience are you looking for , and will it only be 2 of you?

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

OP
I

iHunt3

FNG
Thank y’all for the replies. This has been very helpful. I will look into some of the suggestions that were made. We would definitely go DIY, but my dog died unexpectedly last month so that is pretty much off the table for this particular trip

OP
I

iHunt3

FNG
What kind of experience are you looking for , and will it only be 2 of you?

We are just looking for a good, wild bird experience. Yes, just the two of us this time

jmez

WKR
I don't know anyone that would just take 2 guys. They all want 15-20. Wild birds for 2 guys trespass fee would be the way to go but not if you don't have a dog. That will be a tough task to find a decent one.