Photography- one photo a day

Visiting Pearl Harbor and this was docked there. Left port toward the end of the day.
b9ee2a4be962eeed6e17145f89261787.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AKDoc

WKR
The carved images on this huge stone are dated to be over 5,000 years ago...
IMG_8243.jpeg
It's just one of 127 huge stones ringing a hill-sized passage tomb (Knowth), strategically built by Stone Age farmers with countless other stones...the structure predates Stonehenge and the pyramids. Each huge stone in the ring is carved with images (other examples below), and each had to be somehow moved there from naturally occurring geological settings over twenty miles away. It's also remarkable that this site (and numerous other adjacent sites) was archeologically unearthed/restored relatively recently in the 1960's. The entrance and narrow dark passageway of the nearby Newgrange tomb are still intact and go straight into the center of the tomb perfectly aligned with the apex of the sun on the day of winter solstice...direct sunlight reaches all the way to the center of the tomb on that day/hour.
IMG_8231.jpegIMG_8235.jpegIMG_8244.jpegIMG_8246.jpegIMG_8247.jpegIMG_9735.jpeg

I realize that not everyone is similarly interested in prehistoric stuff...thanks for your patience, guys! If you are, here are some references where you can learn more about this uniquely rare prehistoric World Heritage Site that we enjoyed when visiting Ireland.
Knowth
newgrange passage tomb
Brú_na_Bóinne

The carved images on this huge stone are dated to be over 5,000 years ago...
View attachment 574410
It's just one of 127 huge stones ringing a hill-sized passage tomb (Knowth), strategically built by Stone Age farmers with countless other stones...the structure predates Stonehenge and the pyramids. Each huge stone in the ring is carved with images (other examples below), and each had to be somehow moved there from naturally occurring geological settings over twenty miles away. It's also remarkable that this site (and numerous other adjacent sites) was archeologically unearthed/restored relatively recently in the 1960's. The entrance and narrow dark passageway of the nearby Newgrange tomb are still intact and go straight into the center of the tomb perfectly aligned with the apex of the sun on the day of winter solstice...direct sunlight reaches all the way to the center of the tomb on that day/hour.
View attachment 574408View attachment 574409View attachment 574411View attachment 574412View attachment 574413View attachment 574414

I realize that not everyone is similarly interested in prehistoric stuff...thanks for your patience, guys! If you are, here are some references where you can learn more about this uniquely rare prehistoric World Heritage Site that we enjoyed when visiting Ireland.
Knowth
newgrange passage tomb
Brú_na_Bóinne
Awesome stuff prehistoric history, its a marvel of the things they did without all our tech of today. Thanks

AKDoc

WKR
A photo taken last nite...
IMG_8290.jpeg
The same cow and calf from a month ago...still frequent visitors and still doing well. They were both staring at our driveway entrance, which I checked out...

I saw something that I've never seen in our yard...a porcupine. We've seen many black bears (one in my garage), a grizzly, and a couple different lynx in our yard over the years. I have seen many porcupine in the field, but never at my address. LOL!

IMG_8293.jpeg