Pics of animals you weren't hunting

cmahoney

WKR
c2002a578c411718e0405161414be103.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qotsa23

FNG
Yesterday morning I was checking out a new spot that I found for deer hunting, saw a couple of whitetail does at first light. A couple of hours later half a mile further down the trail, I turned around from a spot where I had just been and this fella was staring at me. I’ve never seen a moose here (U.P. of Michigan), only know a few people who have and those are usually cows.

He walked through some brush I was standing in 5 minutes before, if I hadn’t moved he would have been right in my lap. As it was he walked by at 69 yards which was plenty close for me.
I've always wanted to see a moose in the UP. That's really cool.

Joker9937

FNG
Digiscoped and also regular camera photos.

The 10 on the move was charging around a pond to respond to my snort-wheeze. We have a public wetlands/county park/preserve that encompasses around 1200 +/- acres. Sadly, no hunting, but it gives me a nice spot on the way home from work. Lots of bucks, and some booners. This one was cruising HARD. He's got some great potential.

The little 7 came in to some rattling. He was all bristled up and looking for the fight. I was ghillied up, and tucked in next to a dead tree. The photo with his tongue flicking is not cropped. He was right on top of me, probably less than 10 feet away at his closest. Never saw me.

Good practice, when you aren't worried about killing them.

Both of these bucks were with my Sony a7iii and 200-600 lens.

The big old buck was digiscoped. I have a couple years of pics of him. I haven't seen him this year.

Lovesick Whitetail by Scott Straub, on Flickr

Whitetail buck spoiling for a fight by Scott Straub, on Flickr

Pugnacious Buck by Scott Straub, on Flickr

Whitetail Buck by Scott Straub, on Flickr

brandr67

FNG
Digiscoped and also regular camera photos.

The 10 on the move was charging around a pond to respond to my snort-wheeze. We have a public wetlands/county park/preserve that encompasses around 1200 +/- acres. Sadly, no hunting, but it gives me a nice spot on the way home from work. Lots of bucks, and some booners. This one was cruising HARD. He's got some great potential.

The little 7 came in to some rattling. He was all bristled up and looking for the fight. I was ghillied up, and tucked in next to a dead tree. The photo with his tongue flicking is not cropped. He was right on top of me, probably less than 10 feet away at his closest. Never saw me.

Good practice, when you aren't worried about killing them.

Both of these bucks were with my Sony a7iii and 200-600 lens.

The big old buck was digiscoped. I have a couple years of pics of him. I haven't seen him this year.

Lovesick Whitetail by Scott Straub, on Flickr

Whitetail buck spoiling for a fight by Scott Straub, on Flickr

Pugnacious Buck by Scott Straub, on Flickr

Great shots! Love the one of the old fella

Joker9937

FNG
I appreciate the compliment. Thank you.

The old buck is on the decline. Interestingly enough, on my way home after working for a bit yesterday afternoon, I stopped at that marsh. I took a quick 4 mile walk right at dusk. I caught sight of this buck from about 100 yards. He was with a doe, and locked-down. So, still contributing to the gene pool.

I would love to hunt the surrounding area in hopes of nailing a buck like him. But, at the same time, seeing him so frequently, I would have mixed feelings. Not to mention, he has really changed from my first encounter. Regardless, he has been interesting to keep track of and learn from.

Not a great photo or collage, but I thought it might be of interest. Upper right was after the 2020 season. Upper left after 2021. Bottom was last night. G1s are far shorter, width is waning, and tine length overall is somewhat less. Base mass to G1 is still impressive or possibly thicker than 2020.

Attachments

• 0F6BDF1E-4D10-414D-9472-C89432BA8324.JPEG
    0F6BDF1E-4D10-414D-9472-C89432BA8324.JPEG
    384.3 KB · Views: 38