Pin Gap Mystery

The gap between my 20 yd and 30 yd pins is noticeably larger than the gap between my 30 and 40 yd pins. My arrows are shooting great, tune is good, field points grouping with fixed blades out to 70 yds etc. Its not causing me any issues, I just can’t make sense of why the shorter distances gap is larger and its driving me nuts as to why. Every bow I have set up, the pin gaps get progressively larger as distance increases. This is the fastest bow Ive shot to date, so my best guess is the arrow is still rising to my sightline somewhere between 20 and 30 yds. Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bearwhisky
Ventum 33, 285 fps, 31” draw, 495 grain arrows if that helps

sndmn11

WKR
I have run across non-linear 20-30 yd pin gaps regularly. I think it has to do with the sight to arrow offset, and that your arrow when aimed is not level. Just like your 5 yd "pin" is usually the 40ish yd pin due to the arrow being aimed and traveling upward before peaking and drifting down.

There's probably some physics mathing that can pin it down, but I'd imagine peep to sight distance plays a big part (yours is long).

I wouldn't worry about it one bit if things go where you want them to go. If it did bother you, move the 20 yd pin to the gap you want, figure out what distance center pin is, and then see if bottom/top edge of the pin lines up with 20 yd.

I now shoot a Dual pin slider.... But when i shot a 5 pin. I never had a 20 yard pin.... figured that the difference between 20-30 was nominal when shooting at an animal. So never had one. If your hitting where your aiming i wouldnt worry to much

OP
Bearwhisky
I have run across non-linear 20-30 yd pin gaps regularly. I think it has to do with the sight to arrow offset, and that your arrow when aimed is not level. Just like your 5 yd "pin" is usually the 40ish yd pin due to the arrow being aimed and traveling upward before peaking and drifting down.

There's probably some physics mathing that can pin it down, but I'd imagine peep to sight distance plays a big part (yours is long).

I wouldn't worry about it one bit if things go where you want them to go. If it did bother you, move the 20 yd pin to the gap you want, figure out what distance center pin is, and then see if bottom/top edge of the pin lines up with 20 yd.

Yea this is along the lines of what I was thinking. Im not stressing about it to the point of changing stuff, especially now that I know its not a unique circumstance. Thanks for input.

I'm betting you are slipping your anchor between those distances.

If you think your arrow is still rising, that's easy to test and determine. It should give you a tighter gap between 20 and 30 tho, not a larger. Unless your highest point is somehow past 30, which is double the normal high spot, so I find it very unlikely. Guess it's not impossible tho.

Just shoot odd distances off your pins and determine where your impact is. If 32 or 33 yards your 30 actually shoots high, well you got your answer.