Pistol brace news

Bluefish

WKR
Reading the rule, it appears that any pistol with a brace is now considered an sbr and can’t become a pistol again. Not sure how that logic works.

Felton

WKR
“Nothing in this rule bans stabilizing braces or the use of stabilizing braces on pistols.”

Straight from the justice departments web sight. So they aren’t banning braces, at least not right now. I just read it from the aft and it seems a little different than the quote above.

R_W

FNG
"Other options including removing the stabilizing brace to return the firearm to a pistol or surrendering covered short-barreled rifles to ATF. Nothing in this rule bans stabilizing braces or the use of stabilizing braces on pistols."

Taken from the link above. Sounds like just having a naked buffer tube is fine and would still classify it as a pistol.

“Nothing in this rule bans stabilizing braces or the use of stabilizing braces on pistols.”

Straight from the justice departments web sight. So they aren’t banning braces, at least not right now. I just read it from the aft and it seems a little different than the quote above.

Are you being sarcastic?

As that is written stabilizing braces are only legal for those with disabilities. In all other cases the “stabilizing brace” is redefined as a “butt stock” and all firearms with a “butt stock” and less than 16” barrel are redefined as SBR’s.

So yeah, they pretty well made stabilizing braces illegal for all but the disabled. They just did it by labeling them as butt stocks.

So what will they consider a 10.5” AR with nothing attached to the buffer tube?

What is a 10.5” AR upper that is not attached to a lower?
So I’m pretty sure one can just take the brace off and leave it on a 16+ inch AR if they don’t want to destroy it while waiting for legal challenges.

However, is there anything in here saying that merely having a complete upper with a barrel less than 16” is a pistol, even if not attached to a lower? Where is the line? Does one need to take the barrel off?

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t expect to read people trying to get MORE of their guns registered with the government. Weird.

Surprised by the responses. People clambering to get in line to register their semi automatic weapons in exchange for a $200 ATF coupon. Expected more “cold dead hands” and “molon labe”. That SBR is cool until the next democratic sweep in Washington and you’re told to surrender your scary guns.

Damn, sad how many of you are willing to roll over on your second amendment rights for $200. "Don't tread on me"/"Come and take it" my ass.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

Don't be a cuck to the federal government. Mass noncompliance is the way. Take your brace off, wrap it in plastic, and bury it in your backyard...or don't. Wait this thing out.

Why anyone would volunteer to put themselves on a list and get on the govt's radar is beyond me. I'm trying to keep myself OUT of the eye of Sauron. Other than skipping out on taxes, is there a better way to shine a light on yourself than registering your guns? F that. If SBRs are your thing and you were going to do it anyway, knock yourself out, but I was never willing to play the NFA game.

I figure this is the new normal: a constant all out assault on 2A rights. The states or fed gov pass laws they know are illegal and force the people to overturn it in court. They really can't lose honestly. The 2A crowd wins in court? Great. It took years and hundreds of thousands of dollars to do it. They'll turn around and pass another BS law down the line and force us to repeat the process. Or they win, and they're out basically nothing because they fight these lawsuits with OUR tax dollars and in the end, they got what they wanted.

If you're sitting around waiting for "republicans" to save you, you're a fool. Republicans SUCK at politics if you haven't noticed. All they seem to do is "compromise" with Dems and cede valuable political ground.
If you're not voting with your dollar, you absolutely should be. This battle will be won in the courts, if at all. Find an organization you like and start donating until it hurts.

FPC's lawsuit printer is about to go BRRRRRRRRR and I'm looking forward to donating a lot of money to support their efforts.

Take your brace off, wrap it in plastic, and bury it in your backyard...or don't. Wait this thing out.

If you're sitting around waiting for "republicans" to save you, you're a fool. Republicans SUCK at politics if you haven't noticed

I think you can just put it on a rifle and you’re good. Or you can move to Missouri where we have a state law that makes it illegal for state or local law enforcement to enforce federal gun laws or assist federal law enforcement.

Republicans won’t do shit. Right about that. They had the presidency and majority in both houses for two years and proceeded to do nothing for gun rights or really any individual rights. They aren’t pro liberty. They just practice a different form of control than democrats but they all want control (power and money).

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I read an article that these devices essentially turn pistols into rifles and that they maintain the concealability of a pistol and the power of a rifle.
You either have no clue...
Or you are a Gov't lackey paid to drum up support.

Neither statement is true, just like every other thing this administration is telling us.

Bluefish

WKR
So I’m pretty sure one can just take the brace off and leave it on a 16+ inch AR if they don’t want to destroy it while waiting for legal challenges.

However, is there anything in here saying that merely having a complete upper with a barrel less than 16” is a pistol, even if not attached to a lower? Where is the line? Does one need to take the barrel off?
Reading the rule, it was unclear as they kept saying convert the now called sbr to a full length rifle. They also kept referencing a form, but I didn’t find the form in a few min of looking. This does not seem consistent with a pistol as the base since, removing the brace would return it to a pistol. See the supreme court case on TC’s. That basically said, having the parts, but not assembled in a sbr configuration is legal.
it means that you have to own a rifle in order to have a “brace“ on hand not attached to anything. You can’t have some of the parts and not be able to assemble a legal configuration. Ie for a tc, you can’t have a pistol barrel and no pistol grip.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
You all have nearly six months to "comply", and by then the change to the definition of things, effectively changing law, will have been challenged repeatedly.
The wording is very vague on purpose. It roughly states that anything that is added to the buffer tube that can make contact with a shoulder is illegal.

It states pistol braces are only for disabled.

One paragraph mentioned surface area without definition of how much, and another mentioned weight restriction without definition.

This will be a long legal battle. I don't think anyone needs to do anything yet. Those who are taking a "free" sbr stamp I think are foolish. Their next step is like to make them illegal, and you just registered yours.

And if this is all about concealability then are bullpups going to have to be SBRd also because even tho they meet the barrel length requirements I think some of them are just as short and just as easily concealed as a pistol with a brace. Pretty sure a friend of mines Tavor is the same length as another buddy of mines GHm9 with brace so...
Don’t go giving them any ideas. That’s one of the ways the SB braces ended up on ATF radar is a bunch of people kept asking.

MattB

WKR
You either have no clue...
Or you are a Gov't lackey paid to drum up support.

Neither statement is true, just like every other thing this administration is telling us.
Open yourself up to consideration of a third option. I know both statement are untrue and posted them to show the absurdity of media coverage of the topic.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
For those who would like to hear lawyers discussing this I'll post a link.. (one guys voice is hard to listen to).. but it's very valid.

If I wanted to jump though hoops I would have joined the circus. This is clearly a registration.

I don't have one of these but if you cave to this you're green lighting them to do anything else they want.

If they outlaw guns are you going to turn yours in?

mr10

FNG
It's going to be deemed unconstitutional. Supreme court already said ATF can create legislation like this. The scary part is they passed it anyway knowing it would get shot down. They just don't care to hide it anymore.