Pistol caliber?

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
Im wanting to buy a pistol to carry while hunting. I want to know what caliber everyone carries, just for general purpose use. Not specifically for bears. Thanks everyone!

Hunter6

WKR
I’m a 9mm guy. But I just carry my personal self defense weapon hunting. I don’t have a dedicated woods carry weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the past I have carried a 357, however I just picked up a 44 mag and will be carrying that this year. The thing I really like about the 357, you can shoot 38 special for plinking and full house magnums if you want to
Do you prefer a revolver or semi-auto?

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
In the past I have carried a 357, however I just picked up a 44 mag and will be carrying that this year. The thing I really like about the 357, you can shoot 38 special for plinking and full house magnums if you want to
Do you prefer a revolver or semi-auto?
Im more of a semiauto guy.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

Lil-Rokslider
I used to have a .45 1911 along time ago. Ended up selling it. Just have never been really big into pistols. So my experience is fairly limited

Shraggs

WKR
General woods carry, where weather, comfort and ability’s to deal with bad people and most dangerous animals - S&W airlite In 38 special. Lots of great ammo, including BB hard cast outdoorsman.

If big bears - 10 mm glock.

If bigger bears - 44 mag in 4” carry size

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
10mm is usually what I carry. If I feel I need to go bigger I skip the .357 and .44 and jump up to a hot loaded .45 Colt or .454 Casull.

elkduds

WKR
After years of looking to upgrade my Taurus titanium, 7 shot 357, I have yet to find anything that better meet my needs/wants for non-urban carry. 28 oz loaded!

If that wasn't available, my main CC piece is a Kel-Tec PF9mm, easily fits in pocket, weighs less than the revolver, so I'm OK w that on board. I remember dragging a 44 mag w 7 inch barrel on CO elk hunts, it was a boat anchor that I never took out of its holster under duress.

45 colt is my favorite if monsters are on the table. 10mm for all other times. Hot loads of heavy colt lead are "formidable" to say the least. But you do need a heavy gun to keep manageable.

baeloth

FNG
I have a 1911 in 10mm that I carry in CO for archery. carried a g17 9mm prior to that. My buddy in AK carries a 454 casull

9mm Glock 19. Used to carry a Glock 20 in the woods but found it was too bulky and heavy for my taste. Some one posted a article on here a while back about which calibers had stopped the most bear attacks. 9mm won. As a side note I am not hunting grizzly country

Jbehredt

WKR
Glock 20 if ornery bears are a real possibility of if it will be the only firearm in camp. In cases where I need something small and light it’s gonna be a ruger lcr 38 with underwoood 158s. Keep it in a remora so it can go from belt pouch to iwb when my pack comes off. The empty ruger weighs less than my diamond d glock holster.

Glock 20 if ornery bears are a real possibility of if it will be the only firearm in camp. In cases where I need something small and light it’s gonna be a ruger lcr 38 with underwoood 158s. Keep it in a remora so it can go from belt pouch to iwb when my pack comes off. The empty ruger weighs less than my diamond d glock holster.
Love the lcr, my favorite edc gun. Light accurate and incredibly underrated imho.

jhm2023

WKR
I carry a 460 Rowland and my wife carries a 9mm. I used to carry a 6 shot 454 but after shooting 5 rounds when charged by a pair of bears I opted for the higher round count. The lighter weight and faster follow ups are nicer compared to a large revolver too. Both guns are our EDC guns, I just switch my 460 back to 45 auto for daily in town carry which saved me from having to buy 2 pistols.

87TT

WKR
I don't usually have to worry about the grizzly bears so when I'm hunting, I carry a S&W 340PD .357 five shot. Weighs 12 oz. empty. Never even know it's on you. I have a light weight nylon holster on my pack belt and slip it in my pocket when the pack is off. The rest of the time (not hunting) I always have XDS45 on when ever I'm dressed.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Glock 40 MOS in 10mm has been my hunting sidearm for the past couple years, very happy with it, unless S&W comes out with a 10mm M&P, then all bets are off