Planning my first elk hunt (Colorado)

There are endless options out there and even when you get something really good, you are always going to wonder if something else is better. :)

6ptelkman

FNG
Good luck on what ever you decide to do! I'm not a pack-in kind of guy. I've always thought it would be great, but I only have a week each year to elk hunt, so I stick to what works for me! Rule #1- elk are where you find them! The point I'm trying to make is, you don't have to go back 5 miles to find elk! The biggest bull I've seen in Colorado was bedded with his herd 75, yes, 75 yrds off a MAJOR hwy! One of my favorite spots, one that I've killed 4 bulls out of is right around a trailhead. There is usually 15 to 25 trucks, trailers, camps, horses penned up, ect. there every year. There are outfitters hauling hunters in and out, hunters leaving on foot and horse back every morning! They follow those trails way back in there, and the elk are right there by the trailhead! Now, when I say "by the trailhead", I mean within a couple mile radius! I have heard bugling right from the parking area, and the hunters still leave!?! I guess what I'm getting at is see rule#1! Just, be flexible, be hungry(it makes you a better predator), and have fun! I will warn you that this elk hunting, will ruin your deer hunting, turkey hunting, and anything else you hunt! Nothing else compares to elk hunting IMO!

elkflunky

FNG
Donnie, I would just do it. I have done both, camped out by the truck and backpacked in. The best experiences were on the pack in trips. I will say one thing and that is safety wise it is best to have a partner. It is also great to team up on the essential gear and split the gear ( tent, tarps,stove,) whatever it might be. It is also great to have extra help to get you or your partners game out in due time. I would not hesitate to go by myself but understand and accept the risks. I am not a big successful elk hunter but I have wasted a ton of valuable time and energy climbing up mountains in the dark every morning to just do it all over the next morning. Been nice to have been closer!!

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Thanks for the tips fellas. We are still planning on backpacking in.

Thanks to a fellow member, I just picked up a BA seedhouse SL1 for a good price. It's not the TT double Rainbow or even a two person tent like I initially wanted but it will get the job done and I saved some cash. Also, i got my Lowa Tibets yesterday but I think I need a wider size. Slowly getting there!

Matt Dworak has a book out on DIY elk hunting. I am new to the elk game myself and I thought it was a great read and very informative/entertaining. I think the book is more geared to beginners like ourselves.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out!

Mmcan

WKR
Slow time of the year here??? Thinking about ordering "Backcountry Bowhunting" by Cameron Hanes. Anyone read that?

I have about 50 pages left in it and have really enjoyed reading it. It has some good info and great words of inspiration. But I wish he had even more detail and technical info about how he chooses where to hunt, his set up, and logistics about getting things out of the back country.

I think he's a good guy, and and inspiration to many people. But I don't think I could ever be in the kind of shape he's in. The guy is an animal when it comes to training.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Well, it appears my first DIY elk hunt will be a solo one. My buddy may not be able to go next year (Sept 2015). I still want to go but that may change my plan of action. Still don't know if I should attempt backpacking and living out of my pack or stay in a motel and make the drive up the mountain each day. Maybe a hybrid and be prepared to spend the night if I find myself close to a herd at nightfall. Still not sure if I should make the drive from Virginia or fly. Not crazy about driving out there by myself but I'm also not crazy about trusting an airline to get all my gear out there without hassle. AND if I do score, I don't know what it would cost to ship back the meat to Virginia.

I just wish I had a clue as to what the hell I'm doing.

Mikeha33

Lil-Rokslider
Start looking for a new partner. This happens to tons of people. It happened to me 2 weeks ago, my partner, who I'd been planning this hunt with for 8 months, bailed out on me at the last minute. I hunted last year for my first time with a partner, and I am glad I did. It is possible to hunt by yourself, and you'll probably be fine, but personally, I wouldn't recommend it. The mountains are a different animal, as well as the animals you're chasing. Scour the forums here and other spots, and let people know your situation, and someone will more than likely have the same issues as you. If you can land with a veteran hunter, that would be soooooo advantageous to your learning curve. Last year on my hunt, I was more concerned with survival, camping, and backpacking, that I didn't focus enough on the actual animals I was pursuing. Sure, you can stumble around the mountains and maybe get lucky, but having someone that has actually "been there, done that" is priceless. Your first time out will be more like a scouting trip with an elk tag, learning things about the terrain, trying to locate animals, and most difficult of all, trying to hunt those animals once you find them.
Your very last sentence makes me think that you don't want to do this alone, and hell, I don't blame you. You've got time, just make the most of it. You'll enjoy it with others. Look for people from all over, not just from the East coast. You're liable to make a lifelong friend and hunting buddy. Good luck.

dang finch, that sucks. i still think you should come hunt though. you ought to PM Shrek. he drove out solo last season from FLA, i think he did a mix of backpack and a little bit of motel. he should have some good advice as he was in the same boat as you last year. i really hope you make it out,youve worked too hard not to.

Shrek

WKR
I did indeed drive solo from Florida and hunt on my own mostly. Had a great time and met some truly great and generous people. I made all kinds of stupid mistakes and struggled but I wouldn't trade a minute of it for time at home in the local woods. I'm going again this year and I'm alone again. I sure I'll meet more wonderful folks and make a fool of myself again...and love every minute of it. I would tell you to just go and enjoy the journey. Never see an elk or kill a booner it doesn't really matter and I believe that the fates favor the bold.

I traveled as a truck driver and I've come to believe that even alone in BFE if you are in trouble and you need help good people are there and necessary aid will be given. I travel in my old beater ford ranger with enough tools and pocket money to fix most basic things , I have a tent and can survive. If fate kills me in a remote rockslide I will have died doing what I love and chasing my dreams. You are not guaranteed your next breath and you can just as easily die or suffer debilitating injury at home.I don't think it matters where you are standing when your time is up.

PA 5-0

WKR
Finch, there are always guys looking for hunting partners on here and other forums. I recently corresponded with a dude from here in PA that was looking for a driving/hunting partner to hit CO with. PM me your contact info and I will give you an area that you can camp or hunt from town or both. Solo can be done but I would not suggest it for your first trip. High mntns in late Sept and Oct can jump up and grab you by the neck. My last two hunts out there were solo but that was after many times with experienced friends of mine that are local out there. 2015 is plenty of time to find a partner. Shit, I may join you.

Shrek

WKR
Well, it appears my first DIY elk hunt will be a solo one. My buddy may not be able to go next year (Sept 2015). I still want to go but that may change my plan of action. Still don't know if I should attempt backpacking and living out of my pack or stay in a motel and make the drive up the mountain each day. Maybe a hybrid and be prepared to spend the night if I find myself close to a herd at nightfall. Still not sure if I should make the drive from Virginia or fly. Not crazy about driving out there by myself but I'm also not crazy about trusting an airline to get all my gear out there without hassle. AND if I do score, I don't know what it would cost to ship back the meat to Virginia.

I just wish I had a clue as to what the hell I'm doing.

I personally would drive. I would prepare to backpack hunt but have enough cash for a motel. Hunting alone is mentally hard to adjust to and if you need a break take one. I would have a general tag and be prepared to change your plans at a moments notice. The vehicle erases problems with shipping meat or changing areas. It's also a familiar place for refuge when you're overwhelmed and burnt out. I started in NW Montana then drove to SW Montana and ended up in SE Montana. I saw so much different and beautiful country and learned how little I know.

dado5

FNG
finch,
I am in the same boat you are but for me its this year. I have been getting in shape and losing weight for 6 months now with one goal, otc backpack CO elk archery hunt. my hunting partner cant go. I have been wanting to hunt elk in CO for years and something always comes up. I was going to cancel again this year but realize that at some point I just need to do it. I may have to stay in a hotel some days and just in the field a few days at a time. I will go with the flow. I imagine the first year will mainly be a learning year. My recommendation is to just keep planning to go and do it. Your hunt is a long time away and who know what may pop up in the mean time.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Wow! Thanks for the replies. You guys truly are a great resource!

Mikeha33 – How exactly did you lose focus on your hunt with the camping/backpacking aspect of it? What would you do differently?

Bonedalien – Thanks! Glad to see that Shrek did chime in.

Shrek – Thanks for the inspiration! I actually think I’m more worried with the driving alone part of the trip. Quite a haul from Virginia (well, you know, Florida isn’t any better). I’ve always been a loner when it comes to hunting but I can understand the difference in a strange place hunting a strange animal. Plus, if I am successful, it’s gonna be hell packing an elk out solo. Do you think that someone that doesn’t drive for a living could easily and safely drive 12 hours a day until they hit their destination? I know it depends on the person but 12 hours seems doable, to me.

PA 5-0: PM on the way, thanks man!

Dado5 – Sorry to hear that! Good for you on continuing on with your hunt. I like the idea of maybe mixing up sleeping in a motel or spending a couple nights out in the tent. I’d say a hot shower and hot meal would go a long ways in keeping spirits high.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Wow! Thanks for the replies. You guys truly are a great resource!

Mikeha33 – How exactly did you lose focus on your hunt with the camping/backpacking aspect of it? What would you do differently?

Bonedalien – Thanks! Glad to see that Shrek did chime in.

Shrek – Thanks for the inspiration! I actually think I’m more worried with the driving alone part of the trip. Quite a haul from Virginia (well, you know, Florida isn’t any better). I’ve always been a loner when it came to hunting but I can understand the difference in a strange place hunting a strange animal. Plus, if I am successful, it’s gonna be hell packing an elk out solo. Do you think that someone that doesn’t drive for a living could easily and safely drive 12 hours a day until they hit their destination?

PA 5-0: PM on the way, thanks man!

Dado5 – Sorry to hear that! Good for you on continuing on with your hunt. I like the idea of maybe mixing up sleeping in a motel or spending a couple nights out in the tent. I’d say a hot shower and hot meal would go a long ways in keeping spirits high.

Shrek

WKR
Finch , I've never had a problem driving long distances so l'm not a good judge. I drove from Boone NC to Key West FL when I was fifteen and on a learner's permit with my dad sleeping. I it just never has bothered me. It's a mental attitude more than anything. Can you get up and stay awake for 12 or 16 hours at home during a routine day ? If you can go to work and then fiddle around the house for 16 + hours then you can drive the car.
As to getting the elk out I purposely choose to hunt a later season so it will be cold and give me time to get it done. An archery season presents more of a challenge but if you utilize a natural backcountry cooler and manage your loads so you don't burn yourself up you should be good to go for several days even in archery. Plenty of time for one man to make three or four trips. Just don't hunt 8 miles back in a wilderness , there are plenty of elk within three miles of the road.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I guess I'll play it by ear with my goal of 12 hours a day. I work 12's behind a desk but I tend to get sleepy behind the wheel. But I'm sure I'll be pumped up due to the elk. Did you go during rifle season?

I have a feeling I may be in the same boat in 2015. My buddy said he'd go, but I'm not convinced he actually will. I've been making the plans on going alone and if he goes, it's just a bonus. My plan is to draw a tag for first rifle season in a unit that has had 100% success rate for the draw the past 5+ years.

I've done my fair share of driving long distances (NY to FL, NY to NC), but from NY to CO is a haul. If you can find someone to go with you, it will make the drive WAY better. Someone to switch with every couple hours and keep you entertained while you are driving will be nice. If you end up driving by yourself, make sure you pull over if you get tired. Take a nap at a rest stop, then continue on once you aren't tired anymore.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing. I'll be interested in what happens, as I'll be making the trip a few weeks after you.