Please make it stop!!!!

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know..... Some of you guys are awful crabby. I think the majority of the time they are just excited and looking for conversation.
Elk hunting is growing at a very rapid pace so there’s a big crop of newbs every year.

That being said you can definitely blame the elk hunting celebrities. E-scouting has been ranked as the most important thing you can do. Haha
How I figure it is if I get a pm from somebody after I comment on a specific post and we start talking if they are out of state or semi local and they seem like good people that are honest and excited I'm more than happy to help. It's the people that just are constantly fishing for info and don't wanna put in any of the effort themselves. Infact I met a fella through here that's coming from Indiana to hunt elk in a district across from my house I commented, he seemed great and now I'm gonna show him some spots and hunt with him in September. I think there is balance to be had

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought it was interesting to go back and see some of your guys posts from 4/5 years ago and guess how they start? Not looking for any ones honey holes...

There is no need to act a fool to some one just because thier asking a question that's been answered before(even a bunch of times). Everyone starts somewhere and it's pretty simple to keep scrolling to the next thread if your not feeling generous.

If you do feel generous for whatever reason be courteous do it in a PM

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I thought it was interesting to go back and see some of your guys posts from 4/5 years ago and guess how they start? Not looking for any ones honey holes...

There is no need to act a fool to some one just because thier asking a question that's been answered before(even a bunch of times). Everyone starts somewhere and it's pretty simple to keep scrolling to the next thread if your not feeling generous.

That's how I started !

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

DavePwns

WKR

Agreed! PMs are great, postings about a specific unit on a public forum for the world to see is the frustrating part. I guess it's also frustrating to see hunters selling themselves short and looking for a free hand out, whether they realize it or not.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed! PMs are great, postings about a specific unit on a public forum for the world to see is the frustrating part. I guess it's also frustrating to see hunters selling themselves short and looking for a free hand out, whether they realize it or not.
Ultimately saying nothing to these phishing type threads is more effective, than any of the rude condescending posts people typically will reply with.

Randle

WKR
These types of threads get as old as the ones that get complained about.
Just ignore them.
Everybody started somewhere and we all probably asked for help. Its just the internet age that makes people crazy

Last edited:

RyanCmns

WKR
I’m amazed how many people post questions about a unit and they are going guided! Nothing against going guided but obviously that’s something to talk to your guide about!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vacation in a GMU Unit I will never hunt. I am too old to every get enough preference points to hunt it. I don't have that much life yet. I have PM'd a few guys who do draw that unit , and given them good areas to hunt. I figure if they are lucky enough to draw the unit, I can at least help them get the bull of a lifetime. I have been lucky to hunt elk in a few places. I have only had two of these men contact me back in appreciation. Sure made me feel great to know they were successful.

Poser

WKR
Once they get home from the hunt, they’ll post something like “we hunted hard for 2 weeks, covered about 250 miles and never heard a bugle.”

I like how people think it’s turkey hunting and judge failure by lack of audible activity.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Once they get home from the hunt, they’ll post something like “we hunted hard for 2 weeks, covered about 250 miles and never heard a bugle.”

I like how people think it’s turkey hunting and judge failure by lack of audible activity.

I guess it’s all relative to when you’re hunting. Hunting during the elk rut, I would except to hear bugling. Just like gobbling during a Spring turkey hunt. Hunting elk in the late season, not so much. Kinda like turkey hunting in the Fall shouldn’t produce as much gobbling as Spring.

Swede

WKR
I have never asked anyone online where to hunt, and don't feel inclined to tell you where even my camp will be. I have talked with Forest Service field folks and stopped in and talked to biologists at the State game office. What's the difference?
No one is twisting anyone's arm. If you don't feel like responding, move on. ;)

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
I don't mind helping new or old folks a bit. I end with let me know how it went....lol
Rarely ever hear another word.

This year it is, I drew your almost impossible to draw unit that is in all the mags now as the place for a trophy...not looking for a 400, I see from research you are familiar with unit......I found your name & number from LO list,ask about 3 obvious good looking spots that are locked by private that everyone would like to get to......
3 went just like that this year.
My ? now is. You guys are puter savy,grew up with just bits in your heads,now know how to use any gizmo and do daily in your cubicle jobs or whatever,found me and never did any reading.
Funny none have mentioned water or how there is very little in SW NM nor know that. Or that there is not one campground in the unit. With Sat. imaging did not notice lack of heavy cover.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Seriously, I wish new users would get an email with rokslide etiquette......use the search functionality before asking the same d@mn question that's been thrashed to death in 40 other threads, only give and receive info about specific units via pm, etc.....
Why can't the mods do this?????

This would be ideal. The saying “you don’t know what you don’t know” applies here. For a brand new member, I believe they are posting out of excitement alone. Had they be given a few heads up on what can rub the community the wrong way, it would probably eliminate most of these posts.

On the other hand......from a website/business perspective, all activity/clicks/views/and even nasty responses are what keeps it alive (generates revenue). Very similar to “no such thing as bad press”.......

However-I am not a businessman so I could be dead wrong.