Plumber help please

I would check and make sure the black poly is even legal for drinking water in your area. When I was running a small public water system in Iowa, black poly was not allowed for a line. It was fine for farm use though.

I deal with this all the time. Use 1" PE4710 200psi polyethylene well pipe. It is direct burial. Use the nsf61 brass barb adapter from your pitless adapter at the well casing to the house. 1" will provide more than enough GPM for residential. Call your local supply house and buy a 500' coil so you have no splices and bury it below your frost line. Make sure to bury a tracer tape with the line if you ever need to find it later. Do not use PVC. It will become brittle. Do not use pex. Its way to expensive for what you are doing. Reach out if you have questions.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
PVC only becomes brittle if exposed to direct sunlight.…in those cases like pool piping if its painted its fine.
Yup. Like I mention earlier, I have run Miles of PVC, if put together properly, the joints will not come apart.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
Civil engineer here....been 20+ years since hydraulics class, but if memory serves me correct, to size the pipe/pumps properly, you need to know how much elevation gain/loss, how straight of a run, the pump curve and the desired pressure or gal/min on the output side.

I used PVC for a run about that long at my family's cabin 25 years ago and so far no problem (knock on wood). Assuming you're using equipment to dig, I'd go 2-3' plus for depth for more protection. Whatever you use, put it in some pipe bedding (no rocks) before backfilling with equipment.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
Use the HDPE pipe. You can buy stainless steel polymates that are designed to screw on to the pipe.
This gives you male threads to work with for fittings etc. We have submersible pumps hanging off these down to 1500 feet with no issues. The pipe will pull into before the fittings will fail.