Politicians are coming for Hunters Safety and Archery Programs

Help get Hunter’s Ed off the chopping block

IMG_5055.JPG

You’ve heard the news by now. As part of a newly passed gun control law, the Biden Administration has banned federal education funding for hunter safety and education classes held at schools. The unprecedented move also pulls funding for the National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP).

Hunter safety programs ensure millions of students at thousands of schools nationwide have the firearm and bow instruction they need to keep themselves and others safe in the field.

In 2022, Congress passed the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act (BSCA) in the wake of two horrible mass murders in New York and Texas. Instead of simply striving to prevent future mass shootings, the bill also amended existing federal law to prohibit federal education funds from being used for any sort of “dangerous weapon” training.

Now, schools across the country are receiving word from the Department of Education (DOE) saying that Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) funds cannot be used for any program involving these weapons.

Completely separate from hunter education programs provided by state fish and wildlife agencies through Pittman-Robertson, the funds being canceled by the Biden Administration cut programs offered through physical education and other extracurricular activities.

The interpretation of the BSCA law could simply be a broad and overly cautious attempt to avoid future mass shootings, or it could be driven by persistent anti-hunting interests. In either case, it’s an overt attack on hunters and our hunting tradition, and it kicks the legs out from under the nation’s largest program for firearms safety — something everyone should fully support.​

Let your Congressional Leaders, Senators and D.O.E. Secretary Miguel Cardona know that you fully oppose the cancellation of funding for hunter safety in our schools and ask them to take the ban off the DOE’s chopping block.

I don't have kids, or buy into the "everything is an attack on our hunting traditions", probably because I don't come from hunting traditions, and hunt a lot. So I haven't really paid attention.

But federal funds not going to something that a small (and decreasing) minority of the population engages in doesn't seem shocking.

I don't have kids, or buy into the "everything is an attack on our hunting traditions", probably because I don't come from hunting traditions, and hunt a lot. So I haven't really paid attention.

But federal funds not going to something that a small (and decreasing) minority of the population engages in doesn't seem shocking.
Eliminating those programs does go a long way towards eliminating future advocates...they figured it out when they took over Colleges 10-15 yrs ago with their woke agenda..next thing you Bud Light is laying off regular working folk due to loss in market share...why...because some recent marketing grad wanted to mix social issues with selling beer.

With less future advocates for hunting, shooting, and fishing it's easier to do away with.

mmw194287

WKR
How many of these programs are actually funded by ESEA? Around here, all of our extracurriculars are paid for with state and local dollars. In general, federal funding for schools is pretty minimal, less than 10% if I'm not mistaken.

I haven't seen any numbers in the coverage of this, just curious.