Powder????

Might be a silly question, but is anyone having luck finding powder? Looking for Varget, IMR4831, 4350 and 4895. I don't shoot a ton, so I usually buy it by the pound. Anyone willing to share where they are finding it? I promise I won't tell anyone else :)

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
Get on a wait list and be ready for it to be gone an hour after the notification comes in. Have to be on top of it to get what you want or just make due with what you can find. There are plenty of powders that will get you hunting groups and velocities capable of knocking critters over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
Ive been seeing more and more coming available locally. Still not a ton but they did have 4 lbs of 4831 and some others last weekend.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
Might be a silly question, but is anyone having luck finding powder? Looking for Varget, IMR4831, 4350 and 4895. I don't shoot a ton, so I usually buy it by the pound. Anyone willing to share where they are finding it? I promise I won't tell anyone else :)
Midway has imr4895 in stock. They had imr4350 earlier today. Check early and often. The other sources have had some recent selection too.

It seems like a little shows up here and there local shops and online and disappears fast so you basically have to be on the constant lookout and be ready to buy as soon as you have the opportunity.

You can also switch up powders until you find what you are looking for. For example, no varget try CFE 223, XBR, 4064, etc...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I’ve seen every single one of those powders in stock online on the major carriers sites in the last 2 weeks. Gotta be early and fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This powder shortage has given me the opportunity to try new powders, including some of the new IMR temp stable powders with copper fouling eraser. I'm using 4166 (replacement for Varget) in my 7mm-08 and 4955 (replacement for H4831) in my .284 Win. I have zero complaints. Nobody knows what those powders are yet, so they sit on the shelves. Just fine by me. :D

The 4166 is an almost identical replacement for Varget in my experience. Same loads, same groups. Great stuff.

I was a bit skeptical of the 4955 at first, but it's grown on me. I am consistently getting 3/4" groups or better from my .284 Win with it and it's nearly identical to Hunter. Same load charge, same result on paper and over the chrono, at least in my rifle.

It's nice to have options when powder is in short supply.

Quant

FNG
This powder shortage has given me the opportunity to try new powders, including some of the new IMR temp stable powders with copper fouling eraser. I'm using 4166 (replacement for Varget) in my 7mm-08 and 4955 (replacement for H4831) in my .284 Win. I have zero complaints. Nobody knows what those powders are yet, so they sit on the shelves. Just fine by me. :D

The 4166 is an almost identical replacement for Varget in my experience. Same loads, same groups. Great stuff.

I was a bit skeptical of the 4955 at first, but it's grown on me. I am consistently getting 3/4" groups or better from my .284 Win with it and it's nearly identical to Hunter. Same load charge, same result on paper and over the chrono, at least in my rifle.

It's nice to have options when powder is in short supply.
Same here. IMR 4451 is a good substitute (not exact) for H4350 and Shooters World Precision Rifle is almost an exact match for Varget (SW actually recommends following Varget load data).

BigSky

WKR

Last edited: