Powdercoat touch-up?

sacklunch

WKR
Got a bumper on the way with a blem in the powerder on the bull-bar. Not a big deal to me, about 1/8" x 10" (damaged in shipping).

Got a hefty discount on it, so I can live with it. But upon looking into powdercoat touch up, it appears most shops want to charge you to media blast the entire bumper ans re-coat. Is this a money thing? I was just going to sand the spit down and have them hit it with the gun and throw it in the oven? Doesn't meet to look perfect.

Should I just hit it with some primer and paint? My old beater used to always get rust-stop and some black paint...

WBrim

WKR
I install a lot of powder coated stairs and railings and things at work, often welding on them. We always just get a couple rattle cans of a color match from the powder coaters. It’s just paint that matches the powder coat, and it holds up fine and looks great.
It might be hard to find a color match tho, if you don’t have contact with whoever did the original color.

• Banned
OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
I install a lot of powder coated stairs and railings and things at work, often welding on them. We always just get a couple rattle cans of a color match from the powder coaters. It’s just paint that matches the powder coat, and it holds up fine and looks great.
It might be hard to find a color match tho, if you don’t have contact with whoever did the original color.
I can probaly get that from the company. It's an Expedition One bumper, I think they do it all in-house. Thanks for the suggestion, never thought I'd need a color match, or do I? It's just black.

7mm-08

WKR
We just had a table powder coated and the company that did the work had 10 (yes, 10) different blacks. I'm with the others here, just get a color match paint and coat it.

Weldor

WKR
I have had my powder coater do touch ups, he just preps the area and hits theblemished area agian then back to the oven. There is also a powder coat kit that uses infared lights so you don't need a oven. Another option is to rhino line it, kits are about $125.00 just add the hardner and ready to shoot it. They come with their own Stokes gun. just need air.

Marble

WKR
I can probaly get that from the company. It's an Expedition One bumper, I think they do it all in-house. Thanks for the suggestion, never thought I'd need a color match, or do I? It's just black.
If you need to color match a rattle can to your bumper, some paint stores can match and put the paint in a can. My local one does this.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk