Rattle Can Clear Coat Options

Just started the paint job on the 6 UM last night. This is the most in depth I've gone on a paint job yet and the last thing to decide is whether to clear coat it, and how. In the past I've done some of both. Years ago I tried a matte clear coat that was awful. Yellowed, wore quickly, and looked awful. Since then I've just left the paint without a clear coat of any kind.
On this project I'm debating using an enamel automotive clear coat. That would leave a gloss finish, but the plan would be to do several coats and then rough it up with Scotchbrite.
Those who have done it different ways, what is your experience?
  • Leave as-painted for easier touch up?
  • Automotive clear coat and rough it up later?
  • Other options?

6.5x284

WKR
I would do it just how you’re thinking it. Use an automotive 2 part epoxy spray like Spray Max 2k Clear. They sell these in matte clears as well. I’ve heard 0000 steel wool works well to calm down a high gloss but haven’t tried that before. I’d do 3 coats with 15-20 min between each and sand with high grit after 3. Then do 3 more coats and polish or buff down any gloss. Lots of guitars and other things done this way. The good automotive finishes are brutal on lungs, respirator a must!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
I used some rustoleum matte clear and its worked fine on a handfull of guns.

make sure everything is cured before you start laying down the clear coat
I did the same. Read the directions. I believe you either have to apply multiple coats in minutes or 1 coat every 3-4 days. Take your time and do it right.