Prefered number of arrows in your quiver.

Tradchef

WKR
On a normal day I carry six. 5 broadheads 1 thumper. If I’m going to an area with a lot of bunnies, birds, squirrels, marmots or porcupines I’ll bring a small arrow tube with 6 extra. 3 and 3.

I normally carry 4 arrows when hunting elk and deer. If I ever need more than 3, I'd have to reconsider my practice regimen.

I carry a great northern 5 arrow quiver 1 blunt feathered, 3 broadhead feathered, and one broadhead with the trad vanes tried them and they fly just fine good for bad weather haven't shot a deer with one yet so I guess we will see

TheGDog

WKR
It originally had a std 6 arrow quiver but it was a crappy design how it mounted to the bow. Not very secure when bow lashed to pack. Had to backtrack to find my quiver on a hike-out!

So went and got a new quiver then, one with a mounting system where I knew it wouldn't come off the bow until I was damn well good and ready for it to. Also wanted to reduce the amount of weight held at draw, so a 4-arrow quiver.

The first deer I managed to get with a bow, 2017, I only had I think 2 arrows left. 1 I was dumb and tried to take a shot at a dumb rabbit that didn't move as I walked past it. Totally wasn't thinking.. it missed and disappeared instantly into the sea of chapparal.

Then the buck where I shot two misses... one the Earth swallowed it up, recovered the other (after spending 30 minutes carving it out of the dead oak it slammed into and buried itself broadhead deep on the other side of this gullie). So down to two the next day when success happened!

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
It originally had a std 6 arrow quiver but it was a crappy design how it mounted to the bow. Not very secure when bow lashed to pack. Had to backtrack to find my quiver on a hike-out!

So went and got a new quiver then, one with a mounting system where I knew it wouldn't come off the bow until I was damn well good and ready for it to. Also wanted to reduce the amount of weight held at draw, so a 4-arrow quiver.

The first deer I managed to get with a bow, 2017, I only had I think 2 arrows left. 1 I was dumb and tried to take a shot at a dumb rabbit that didn't move as I walked past it. Totally wasn't thinking.. it missed and disappeared instantly into the sea of chapparal.

Then the buck where I shot two misses... one the Earth swallowed it up, recovered the other (after spending 30 minutes carving it out of the dead oak it slammed into and buried itself broadhead deep on the other side of this gullie). So down to two the next day when success happened!
I've decided I need to start carrying 2 more arrows than normal. That way when I get setup I can take those 2 out and just drop them out of the tree and get that part of the hunt over with.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
To answer your question I use 4-5 dependent on quiver. Op I’ve gotta tell ya, 2 deer is not experience. 2 arrows is not enough. Yes typically it should be, what happens if something untypically goes wrong? Not one experienced hunter has never had something go wrong. You’d feel pretty foolish being unprepared. Things happen, think about that

OP
TaterTot

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
To answer your question I use 4-5 dependent on quiver. Op I’ve gotta tell ya, 2 deer is not experience. 2 arrows is not enough. Yes typically it should be, what happens if something untypically goes wrong? Not one experienced hunter has never had something go wrong. You’d feel pretty foolish being unprepared. Things happen, think about that
Hes not the op.

Beendare

WKR
I recently had a situation that has me rethinking my quiver strategy.
I typically carry 5 arrows; One FP for a morning warm up and stumping, one junk BH arrow for grouse and stumping- whatever. Then 3 BH hunting arrows.

I had a couple days where I shot all but 2 hunt arrows ( Grouse for dinner! but it took me a few shots- grin)

Then on my moose, the first shot was a broadside pass thru, maybe 3” higher than I wanted, otherwise perfect. The moose spun around slowly a few times when seeing that first arrow sticking 28” straight out the off side of her, then went down.

She still had her head up. I’m sure she would have died right there but I have had crazy things happen. This was right before dark and she was a fairly easy pack out in that location.

I made a quick decision and ran in on her to get another arrow in there. I shot her qtr to me just in front of the shoulder with 20” of penetration. She stood, turned slightly broadside and I put another one inher about as perfect as an arrow can be- complete pass through.

All of this happened bang bang- quick, all within about 20-30 seconds of the first shot. . She was still on her feet turning away…and reaching for another arrow….all I had was practice arrows left.

It didnt matter, she was dead on her feet. She took a few steps and tumbled over an embankment into a stream.

Point is, Im thinking for me, 6 arrows would be better.

You guys can second guess that strategy to death if you want….but Ive seen elk shot in the pocket going over the continental divide 1/2 mile away that when I asked my buddy why he didnt put another arrow in that bull when had had the chance, he said, “ thats a dead bull” Ugh, no….we never recovered his bull.