Preference Points

Darkhorse

I'm curious to see how people manage their preference points in various states and for various game.

Which states?? Which species?? How many do you have??

Also, which states have the best "bang for the buck" when it comes to tags and preference points?

Thanks for the input!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Washington - Deer, Elk, Moose, Goat & Sheep
Wyoming - Deer & Elk
Arizona - Deer, Elk & Antelope
Colorado - Deer

I just started the points game last year except in Washington I have a handful.

I have only hunted out of state in Idaho & Wyoming so I cant really answer your question about "best bang for your buck" but I would be willing to say I bet Colorado is near the top.

Craig4791

I just started applying last year for about half of the states. This year though I plan on applying in 11 states (Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico) for all species available except for ibex and oryx in New Mexico.

I figure I won't really draw anything good for about 5-7 years but then I should be able to draw a tag or two every year. Then start the process over again.

I'm going all in lol.

cali_hornhunter

Obviously CA (deer 0,Elk 6,Antelope 7, Bighorn 6) elk and antelope I'm behind I've already drawn tags for each :p
CO (deer)
NV (deer 1, antelope 1)
ID & OR are maybes haven't decided yet lol

unm1136

No preference points available in NM. Our state game comission is highly political and answers to no one. No preference points, but if you own a single acre in designated elk country tha tcan be classified as a ranch, you can have a free landowner elk tag that you can use or sell for fifty times its value.

pat

Craig4791

Obviously CA (deer 0,Elk 6,Antelope 7, Bighorn 6) elk and antelope I'm behind I've already drawn tags for each :p
CO (deer)
NV (deer 1, antelope 1)
ID & OR are maybes haven't decided yet lol

Cali,

How many years did you put in to get the Elk tag!? Long time or did you just get really lucky? I want a Tule tag bad!! lol

cali_hornhunter

@Craig4791 I got the junior northeastern either sex tag and I started putting @ the age of 12 so like I had 4 points which I guess would be max for a junior hunt so I guess I got lucky too lol

tstowater

The short list:
Montana: Sheep and Goat
Wyoming: Sheep and Elk (elk will go this year as I should draw)
Colorado: Sheep, elk & deer (just started last year on elk and deer)
New Mexico: Depends on the attitude of their Game & Fish people, usually sheep for sure and maybe elk or deer
Arizona: Elk, sheep, deer & antelope
Nevada: Basically everything, drew elk in 2011 so out of that one for a long time
Utah: Sheep & elk, just started on the rest when they allowed you to give them more money
Idaho: Sheep
Oregon: Sheep & points for elk, deer & antelope

I should average about 10 points on most. Some more, some less
I manage my own. I have a file for every state. I subscribe to Huntin Fool so I get some baseline information on due dates, etc.
Best value: I would say Montana or Colorado. California, Washington and Oregon seem to hate nonresidents (My opinion). The rest fall in the middle. I like Nevada's model, but I end up spending about $250 there every year for great animals.

Takes a lot of money to do this program.