Pretty & Classy Rifles - Lets see them!

Saw this in town today at a sporting goods store. I held it, drooled on it, and handed it back to the clerk. It was a sad moment! Winchester Model 70 Super Grade Maple in 30-06!!! $1350.00

1596672193422.png

Wapiti1

WKR
Side View.jpg

Maple on a Mexican Mauser in 7X57, 25" Shilen barrel, Wisner swing safety, Timney trigger, my bolt handle, Talley rings, Neidner steel buttplate, buffalo horn grip cap. Only maple stock that I've done. There is a hell of a stick of maple in my shop just waiting for the right action to come along. One of these days.

Jeremy

Trr15

WKR
My dad bought this Winchester Model 70 XTR featherweight (.270 win) about 32-33 years ago. I was a tiny kid at the time, but I remember the day he brought it home. It was the most beautiful rifle I'd ever seen at that point. He gave it to me last year. There isn't a mark on it, and I'll likely never take it out of the house.
1596680051971.jpeg

OP
6mm Remington
My dad bought this Winchester Model 70 XTR featherweight (.270 win) about 32-33 years ago. I was a tiny kid at the time, but I remember the day he brought it home. It was the most beautiful rifle I'd ever seen at that point. He gave it to me last year. There isn't a mark on it, and I'll likely never take it out of the house.
View attachment 204062
Loved when Winchester had the brown laminates available. I have a buddy who got a classic sporter with that stock and then he had it checkered later. Beautiful!

OP
6mm Remington
My father saw this sit in a little mom & pop store in Nye Montana for three or four years. It was brand new and was made in 1964 to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of Montana Statehood and the 100th year of the Montana Territory. I believe there were only 1070 of these build with the medallion in the stock and the special engraving on the action. I shot my first deer and antelope with it and went on to shoot a whole bunch of antelope, deer, and coyotes over the years with that rifle. My dad gave it to me when I was 12 for my first year of hunting. It still has the Weaver K4 scope on it that it's worn since 1972. It's a cool little rifle that sure has some sentimental value.

Here is my son with the same rifle and his first big game animal, an antelope with this same rifle. All it shoots is 100 gr. Nosler Partitions at 2800 fps out of the 18 1/2" barrel, but it sure kills stuff. It's a 6mm Remington of course. A typical boy at the age of 12, ALWAYS HUNGRY!

1596739482060.png

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
My father say this sit in a little mom & pop store in Nye Montana for three or four years. It was brand new and was made in 1964 to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of Montana Statehood and the 100th year of the Montana Territory. I believe there were only 1070 of these build with the medallion in the stock and the special engraving on the action. I shot my first deer and antelope with it and went on to shoot a whole bunch of antelope, deer, and coyotes over the years with that rifle. My dad gave it to me when I was 12 for my first year of hunting. It still has the Weaver K4 scope on it that it's worn since 1972. It's a cool little rifle that sure has some sentimental value.

Here is my son with the same rifle and his first big game animal, an antelope with this same rifle. All it shoots is 100 gr. Nosler Partitions at 2800 fps out of the 18 1/2" barrel, but it sure kills stuff. It's a 6mm Remington of course. A typical boy at the age of 12, ALWAYS HUNGRY!

View attachment 204238

I love those old Remington 600's. They're hard to fine in original condition. So many were torn down to make customs. Great rifles.

Jeremy

Last edited:
OP
6mm Remington
I love those old Remington 600's. They're hard to fine in original condition. So many were torn down to make customs. Great rifles.

Jeremy
The thing shoots pretty darn well and it always has. Before my first season a gunsmith friend of my father's glass bedded the action and barrel for the full length of the barrel channel and the trigger was adjusted to a nice crisp 3 pounds. That's about all that has been done to it. It barks pretty good with that short barrel and folks beside you at the range take notice when you touch it off. My understanding is a lot of them like you say were turned into custom builds. It seems to be a pretty good action.

oneisnone

FNG
View attachment 204039

Maple on a Mexican Mauser in 7X57, 25" Shilen barrel, Wisner swing safety, Timney trigger, my bolt handle, Talley rings, Neidner steel buttplate, buffalo horn grip cap. Only maple stock that I've done. There is a hell of a stick of maple in my shop just waiting for the right action to come along. One of these days.

Jeremy
That Maple is about the nicest looking stock I've seen. I'd love to have a custom made stock in that pattern for a handed down rifle I have.

DylanFC

FNG
View attachment 204039

Jeremy
That Maple is about the nicest looking stock I've seen. I'd love to have a custom made stock in that pattern for a handed down rifle I have.
I have to agree what a beautiful stock and on an odd firearm.

View attachment 204039

Jeremy

THAT is a beautiful thing.....