Primus micron lantern

TravisIN

WKR
I’m using the Jetboil brand fuel for my stove, which is isobutane I believe. Are you guys using the same stuff for these lantern or are you going with propane or something different? Does it even matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the same stuff. I use a jet boil and buy their blue cans of gas and it work just fine with the micro lantern.

I’m using the Jetboil brand fuel for my stove, which is isobutane I believe. Are you guys using the same stuff for these lantern or are you going with propane or something different? Does it even matter?

Look into a Luci light they are amazing

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
Use the same stuff. I use a jet boil and buy their blue cans of gas and it work just fine with the micro lantern.

Ok. Thanks. I figured it would I just thought I better check

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
Look into a Luci light they are amazing

Thanks for the tip. I’ve read several times that the micron will put off a little warmth in a tarp which is why I leaned that way

Thanks for the tip. I’ve read several times that the micron will put off a little warmth in a tarp which is why I leaned that way

It WILL warm it up nicely. I use mine for the same thing. I've used it to warm my tipi in temps in the low 20's. Within minutes, setting up uncovered was actually WARM

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
True story, the lantern will heat a shelter, warm you up, maybe even dry some stuff out if you have enough fuel...but touch it and it will bite.

Good to hear. That’s what I’m hoping for. Clearly can’t replace a stove but thought it’d be nice to throw in the pack in case you do get an unseasonably cold night come through while your out.

slowelk

WKR
Is it likely to cause any condensation in a 3-season tent? Will I still be able to run a 4oz canister for food and this lantern for 3-4 days?

rbljack

WKR
bringing this one back up. Decided to try the primus micro lantern for my supertarp. Now that I have it, looking to know how yall store/carry them in the backpack without damaging them. Looking for ideas thanks! Also for those using this and a stove, do you carry 2 of the small iso cans for fuel, or you think 1 is still enough for 3 to 4 days?

Mosby

WKR
I have a Kovea micro lantern that has its own small case and that is what I carry it in. When I bring my lantern, I bring 2 canisters. One for the stove and one for the lantern. You probably get by with one canister if you have an efficient stove and your careful with time used. I like to bring it if it is really cold out so I can heat up my tent a bit before I crawl in my bag. A luxury item, when I am not going that far. It put a nice round hole in my Wiggys bag at basecamp this year. It does get hot.Mine has a chain on it and I didn't realize the chain was hooked into my bag. When I moved my bag it pulled the light into it. Better my bag then skin though. Tenacious tape fixed it.

They are fairly sturdy. Mine usually ends up somewhere near the middle of my pack. But I also do try to put it near the top when I can. I am more worried about the mantle being damaged then the actual lantern. I usually have 2-3 spares with me.

As far as fuel, when cooking you are burning the iso for only a couple of minutes. With the lantern, it could be burning for hours during your trip. You could burn through a smaller canister pretty fast. If you only had one canister and used it all on day one of your hunt...you're screwed. My lantern always gets it's own canister. Sometimes I even bring a larger 16oz canister for it if it's going to be a longer trip.

I bring it mostly for heat. For just light I use a Luci.

It doesnt go on every trip, but I am still very happy with having purchased it

rbljack

WKR
I got it for a lightweight heat option as well. I guess if I don't bring a small stove for the supertarp, with the weight I saved there, I can throw in a second iso can

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
bringing this one back up. Decided to try the primus micro lantern for my supertarp. Now that I have it, looking to know how yall store/carry them in the backpack without damaging them. Looking for ideas thanks! Also for those using this and a stove, do you carry 2 of the small iso cans for fuel, or you think 1 is still enough for 3 to 4 days?

I carried it in the little pouch it came with with a few mantles. I also could fit a small fuel canister In the pouch. It’s strurdy so you don’t have to baby it. The pouch is plenty especially if your putting it near your bag or puffy. I burned it for a MAX of 20 minutes a day on 5 different days with fuel leftover. A few min at night kinda getting settled in and then 10-15 on the colder mornings to warm things up a bit. Was really happy to have it.

rbljack

WKR
thanks travis. Knowing an estimate on burn time really helps. I grabbed a can of fuel from my cook set today, and sure enough, it will fit in that pouch with the lantern. Great tip there. I will do exactly that and stick the whole package with fuel (and extra mantles) in the guide lid at the top of the pack. Simple and done! I like being able to grab a "kit" and know everything I need is in there, so that will work well.

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
I quit using mine a while ago. It didn’t put out much light. I now just use my stove to take the chill off, and hang up my headlamp for light.