Private land access vs fully guided hunt

stevevan

WKR
I think thats where this being a personal initiative comes in handy. I don't have to really worry about catering to everyone to turn a profit. I just have to find decent people to connect with my friends.
Wish I'd known about you earlier in the year. I would prefer a DIY hunt on a piece of private property but because of the hurdles of being 700 miles away and never having set foot in Kansas I swallowed a big pill and book a guided hunt through a hunting consultent. I believe I'll have a wonderful hunt but the cost ($) is enough that I probably won't be able to do it every year dependent on number of points to secure a license. Next time I'd like to deal with you as a middleman to secure access to private.

Rich M

WKR
I think thats where this being a personal initiative comes in handy. I don't have to really worry about catering to everyone to turn a profit. I just have to find decent people to connect with my friends.

Something is tingling my scooby senses, not sure what it is, not too worried about it tho. Wish you the best.

OP
wabash503

wabash503

Lil-Rokslider
Wish I'd known about you earlier in the year. I would prefer a DIY hunt on a piece of private property but because of the hurdles of being 700 miles away and never having set foot in Kansas I swallowed a big pill and book a guided hunt through a hunting consultent. I believe I'll have a wonderful hunt but the cost ($) is enough that I probably won't be able to do it every year dependent on number of points to secure a license. Next time I'd like to deal with you as a middleman to secure access to private.
Shoot me a DM

yfarm

WKR
Just do some searches online for season long limited hunter number leases in Texas. Generally the higher the quality of the deer population the higher the price. Have seen 6 hunters on 400 acres for the season for 500 each on land with mediocre population. 10 hunters on 5000 acres with medium quality population for 6000/ hunter. Friend was on a lease of 33,000 acres with 20 hunters at 13,000/ hunter, high quality population, remote and damgerous from a smuggling perspective. Same property now has 10 hunters at 20,000+/ hunter, had too many hunter conflicts so reduced the number of hunters and upped the price. Keep in mind in Texas the main revenue from many of these ranches is raising cattle or oil/gas lease compared with the midwest where most or all revenue is row crop. Cattle will coexist with deer,turkey and hogs in the same pastures. Once the corn and beans are picked habitat may be nonexistent. Fence lines and associated habitat are long gone from most of the midwest.
As others have said, I have hunted WIHA properties in SW Kansas and have not been impresssed with habitat quality compared with properties in the same area that are leased by commercial hunting operators that sell day bird hunts. The landowner either has to be rewarded financially for developing the habitat or the operator bears that expense and charges appropriately for the investment. The state is simply paying for access to land that in many cases holds no wildlife due to farming practices.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Seems like generosity sounds foreign to you.

There is a motive, you're just not being forthright about it.

I've been on a number of hunting leases and you couldn't pay me to run one. You are saying you are gonna run a handful.

Set up the leases with contracts and insurance. Cover yourself and more importantly protect the farmers. If they don't have a lot of money a lawsuit would be horrible for them.

WCB

WKR
I like how some guys that don't want guides talk about outfitters/guides deceit but will drop the same amount or not blink at dropping money on a property without a guide where any guy with cash can lease out for a week and burn the place out....If you go with a well vetted guide that has a proven/good track record...they will have to face the music everyday a guy gets out of the stand.

Landowner that pockets 1500 for the week never has to talk to that guy again or tell him about the 20 other guys that ran all over the property.

SDHNTR

WKR
IME, diy on good private land without an outfitter/guide is fairytale land for liability reasons alone. No landowner is gonna allow a complete stranger to hunt on his land, even after cash is paid. This isn’t the 1950’s anymore.

OP
wabash503

wabash503

Lil-Rokslider
There is a motive, you're just not being forthright about it.

I've been on a number of hunting leases and you couldn't pay me to run one. You are saying you are gonna run a handful.

Set up the leases with contracts and insurance. Cover yourself and more importantly protect the farmers. If they don't have a lot of money a lawsuit would be horrible for them.
I've told you my motive. I care about the people in my community. I have no desire to make money off helping them. What I think is happening, is you are applying your ethics to my decision. I can't help with that. I have no need for contracts. I have no need for insurance. This isn't a business opportunity. I am just trying to find decent people to connect with my friends.

Last edited:

Swamp Fox

WKR
Just curious how many NR hunters would prefer a lower cost option to get access to private land vs want a higher cost fully guided experience? I know a lot of land owners/farmers who could use the extra income here around Manhattan KS. Thanks for your input.
Not enough info.

That's why you are getting the responses you are.

Whitetails only? Whole season(s) vs. a few days? Number of hunts/hunters? Accommodations?

The list of questions could go on for pages.

Everyone prefers "a lower cost option to get access to private land vs want a higher cost fully guided experience" ...

So there's your problem.