Pronghorn caliber

pcrider

FNG
I am going to be taking a 6.5 PRC to WY for a hunt. Anyone used this on antelope. Thanks

robie

WKR
Yes. They aren't particularly tough animals.

You will be fine with most any caliber.

I took 3 with my 6.5 PRC last year. I wouldn't recommend the Hornady eldx. Or if you do aim for bone.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
They have evolved to rely on the fact they can outrun trouble so they don’t have to be tough. I would guess any reasonable centerfire round you can make a good shot with will do the trick.

OXN939

WKR
If you like antelope meat (probably my favorite...) I'd try to avoid hitting any bone with any bullet except for maybe barnes or some similar solid - they really are not very large critters

+1. Antelope is fantastic- highly recommend trying the Barnes 127 gr. LRX in your rifle and using that if it groups well.

Step 1: pick a centerfire rifle cartridge that doesn't start with ".22"

Step 2: kill an antelope with it.

Not even really kidding. Most people make the mistake of going too big and destroying shoulders. They're easy to kill.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Pretty much this.

They are thin skinned so you don't need big.

I've taken 2 with 6.5cm and 2 with 30-06.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty much this.

They are thin skinned so you don't need big.

I've taken 2 with 6.5cm and 2 with 30-06.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I think I shot at least 5 with a .243 as a kid, a few with a .270, and 4 in the last 4 years with a 6.5G. But if I were to opine I think a 6.5G or 6.5CM would be the ideal cartridge for them. Great ballistics and wind kicking ability, and bullet size/energy isn't overkill. 6.5 PRC would fit right in there too.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

JRMiller

WKR
6.5 PRC is a little overboard for antelope.
Unless you need to drop them at 1k yards.
But if thats what you got better to be over gunned than under.
I usually use 6.5G for antelope and its plenty inside of 500yds

I think that a 6.5 PRC would be a great cartridge for antelope, it will give you plenty of power to reach out and get one. Like others have said, they are an easy animal to kill, I have takin most of my antelope with a 300wm. Only once I hit a shoulder and lost some meat. The reason I used my 300wm is because it’s accurate and I have confidence in it to take an antelope at longer distances. That being said, this last winter I picked up a 6mm creedmoor that is extremely accurate and plan to use it on antelope this fall.

Your 6.5 PRC should be just perfect for antelope. I try to shoot them in the ribs behind the shoulder as I sure hate ruining any of that good meat!! I think something that holds together is best. I like me some Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, and E-tips.

My personal and favorite antelope rifle is my Ruger 1B single shot 6mm Remington with a 6x42mm Leupold scope on it. It's accurate and flat shooting.

My girlfriend and I will be shooting a 270WSM and 280AI respectively. I’d have no reservations about using a PRC or anything 243 and larger. I personally feel the absolute minimum for any big game should be the 243/6mms.