Proof barrel on Tikka

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Just a few of the Christensen rifles I have shot. I load for all these rifles for friends and have shot them a lot.

10%20Image_zpsaiafadbv.jpg

03%20Blackhawk_zpsfeynh2zv.jpg

IMG_20160321_130945_zpsgs7rnkwn.jpg

Another pic of my Tikka with a bear Brock shot at 665 yds.

IMG_20160317_172010_zpsakqzmb1b.jpg

What is the stock on the Tikka in the bottom picture?

OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Justin just out of curiosity what was the shank diameter of the CA barrel? Did the CA barrel require being turned down to fit cleanly? My smith said it should be less than 1.125" to fit the action face of a tikka without over lap. I'm pretty set on a Proof because they are made in the state I live in and I like to support local business and have a friend that can get me a decent deal on them or at least so he claims...

Beautiful rifle by the way. What is the weight of the rifle without the scope? Also what does the Hells canyon armory barrel cost and what are your likes and dislikes about it? Did it bolt right up to the Tikka action face or require work?

I'd also be curious of weight differences between Proof, CA and HCA barrels. The primary goal for my build is a light weight, accurate short to mid range (100-600 yard) hunting rifle that can go in my scabbard on horse back or throw over my shoulder and put miles on. Secondary goal would be a rifle capable of sitting down at a bench and ringing steel out to 1000 and beyond.

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Proof isn't $900, it's $799 with free shipping all day long. I went with proof because CA only really carries good twist options in popular calibers, you can't get and CA will not build a 1:8 twist .277 barrel, because they see no need is what they told me on the phone. Proof builds a 1:8 twist 26" sendero lite carbon barrel in .277, which is also the cal the op is building.

Proof offers a good product at a slightly higher price with many many more options in various cals over CA, so CA has forced many to go with Proof due to a lack of offerings.

Good point about Christensen not having the options you want. I definitely understand paying more if they won't build what you need.

dotman

WKR
Good point about Christensen not having the options you want. I definitely understand paying more if they won't build what you need.

Yeah pretty frustrating when you get emails from CA saying "limited time promo, free brake with every barrel purchased" and they don't have what you need.

Just a few of the Christensen rifles I have shot. I load for all these rifles for friends and have shot them a lot.

10%20Image_zpsaiafadbv.jpg

03%20Blackhawk_zpsfeynh2zv.jpg

IMG_20160321_130945_zpsgs7rnkwn.jpg

Another pic of my Tikka with a bear Brock shot at 665 yds.

IMG_20160317_172010_zpsakqzmb1b.jpg

Justin what stock is that in your tikka? I just picked up a tikka for cheap and am looking to do my first rifle build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
What do barrels like Proof and CA get a guy over the "normal" custom barrels?

in general you'll get a barrel with relative stiffness of a "bull" type barrel with the nominal weight more like a sporter barrel - it's also "said" that the carbon fiber wrapped barrel is stiffer than the same diameter steel barrel and that they will cool more quickly - both of these claims are difficult to prove

Around 2002 I had 3 varmint rifles built by CA, 2 - 22.250's and a .223 - both the 22.250 barrels shot out about the same as steel in my experience but that was 2002 and I don't shoot varmints like a mad man any longer so take it for what it's worth

Melvin Forbes does not use carbon fiber wrapped barrels, builds the lightest hunting rifles in the industry and they are as accurate as any produced anywhere - YOU be the judge

starsky

FNG
Thanks for the answer. Sounds like a bunch of hypotheticals, thinking I'll stick to the normal versions for half the price... Have had good luck with them so far.