Proof of Insurance

hunterjmj

WKR
Our insurance started sending our proof of insurance cards through email so now we have to print the darn things.
With so much of our info accessible to law enforcement is it still necessary to carry an insurance card? I would assume if they run plates they'd know if you were insured?

2ski

WKR
I haven't had to give my insurance card the last time I was pulled over. The officer only wanted driver's license and new I had insurance when running the plates.

Wvroach

WKR
Our insurance started sending our proof of insurance cards through email so now we have to print the darn things.
With so much of our info accessible to law enforcement is it still necessary to carry an insurance card? I would assume if they run plates they'd know if you were insured?
Not sure about your state but most will accept virtual ID cards.

At least in OR, proof of insurance can be done via phone with either a saved pdf or accessing on your insurance companies website/app. Insurance does typically show on the DMV database, but it is not always accurate due to vehicle sale, new insurance policy, slow DMV data entry, etc.

Fail to provide proof of insurance citations are typically dropped by the court if you can prove you had insurance at the time of stop, but why put yourself through all the extra hassle in the event you get that one guy who really likes writing tickets.

wyosteve

WKR
After our truck was broken into by some meth head who took all the papers we take pictures of the registration and insurance cards and don’t carry them anymore. Haven’t been checked yet but hope that is sufficient.

FullValue

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of States you are required to show proof of insurance if you are requested by legal authority. Some states do show your current insurance on the registration if it is run by law enforcement but some do not. Every state is different I would look up your states laws and then go from there. Some states you can still get a ticket even if you have current insurance but do not have proof of it in your possession

FullValue

Lil-Rokslider
If you are indeed from Montana as your location states, looks to me you should have a copy or electronic copy

Montana Code
61-6-302. Proof of compliance. (1) The registration receipt required by 61-3-322 must contain a statement that unless the vehicle is eligible for an exemption under 61-6-303, it is unlawful to operate the vehicle without a valid motor vehicle liability insurance policy, or a certificate of self-insurance, as required by 61-6-301.

(2) (a) Each owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall carry in the motor vehicle as proof of compliance with 61-6-301 either:

(i) an insurance card approved by the department but issued by the insurance carrier to the motor vehicle owner; or

(ii) an electronic device on which an electronic document issued by the insurance carrier showing proof of compliance with 61-6-301 may be displayed.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
If you are indeed from Montana as your location states, looks to me you should have a copy or electronic copy

Montana Code
61-6-302. Proof of compliance. (1) The registration receipt required by 61-3-322 must contain a statement that unless the vehicle is eligible for an exemption under 61-6-303, it is unlawful to operate the vehicle without a valid motor vehicle liability insurance policy, or a certificate of self-insurance, as required by 61-6-301.

(2) (a) Each owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall carry in the motor vehicle as proof of compliance with 61-6-301 either:

(i) an insurance card approved by the department but issued by the insurance carrier to the motor vehicle owner; or

(ii) an electronic device on which an electronic document issued by the insurance carrier showing proof of compliance with 61-6-301 may be displayed.
Thanks for this. I'll just keep my ins email in the archives. This will be easier than wasting ink to print them at home.

j_volt

WKR
In Missouri, they do not know if you have insurance by running plates or your DL.

I changed insurance recently and did not have to do anything for my state DMV.

I have always found it funny that you just have to show a piece of printer paper that would be easy to fake.

AZ8

WKR
I don’t even need to log into my insurance app to show the ID card. Just open the app and there’s a button on the login page that instantly pulls up the current ID cards. Easy.

I don’t even need to log into my insurance app to show the ID card. Just open the app and there’s a button on the login page that instantly pulls up the current ID cards. Easy.

Same here. Which is handy because 1) never know when you might be out of service and 2) it would take me 5 attempts and trying to guess the answer to my secret question to figure out my password

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AZ8