Proof Research Stock - new ultra-light alternative

B23

WKR
Just looking at these they appear to have a rather low comb height. Are y'all able to get a decent cheek weld with 50 or 56mm Obj scopes or do you have to lift your head up a bit to see through the scope? They look, with regard to shape, very similar to the HS Precision stock

OP
Oregonmuley
I only has experience with the 2 scopes I have on them - both are 42MM in Talley lows and that works fine for me as far as getting a good look through my scopes. I've never used a scope with that big of an objective lens but I'm guessing yes it could be an issue for you.

Reactions: B23

fatbacks

WKR
Just looking at these they appear to have a rather low comb height. Are y'all able to get a decent cheek weld with 50 or 56mm Obj scopes or do you have to lift your head up a bit to see through the scope? They look, with regard to shape, very similar to the HS Precision stock
I am running the NXS 2.5-10x42mm and would not want any bigger objective than that otherwise you'd definitely had to lift your head a bit.

Reactions: B23

B23

WKR
By looking at them I had a hunch they'd be very similar to the HS Prec stocks I have which are to low for anything 50 and larger, also. It's an easy, inexpensive, and lightweight fix by adding an adj. Kydex cheek piece though.

bigripper

FNG
Posted this build on some of the Defiance action threads already... I am super happy with the Proof Stock. When I got it, I thought the palm swell was too small the overall feel felt too skinny. Was totally wrong... when I put the rifle together it feels great in a lot of different shooting positions. Been hitting steel out to 800 yds with it. Is it the same feel as my Mesa or McMillans? Not at all, but very shootable for an ultralight stock. This will likely be my go to rifle for most of my time in the field in Alaska.

Proof said no bedding needed, but I bedded the recoil lug with some Marine Tex because you could feel some slop in there.

View attachment 266872
how was inletting for the defiance action? require any extra work for the bolt and ejection port? or will proof inlett for them? thanks

fatbacks

WKR
how was inletting for the defiance action? require any extra work for the bolt and ejection port? or will proof inlett for them? thanks

Defiance anTi was drop in besides bedding the lug. No modifications needed. Can’t speak for their other action models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Oregonmuley
I went with the Defiance Rebel on both of mine and fit was perfect. The ejection port seems to be set up for the longer one like a Defiance or model 700 clones which typically have a longer port. I did order my Rebel with the Remington style bolt handle but think going with the regular Defiance handle would still be a good fit.

So the UPS guy delivered my new stock a couple days ago, its a Proof Research carbon fiber stock I plan on using on a build. I've always been a big fan of the McMillan Classic Edge stock and have done several builds with it but with the recent reports of them being 28ozs+ I wanted to try something else. So the Proof seemed like a good option since I'm also using a carbon wrapped barrel for this build. The stock from first impression is really nice, slim grip and nicely finished. Weight is 19.3 ozs so super lightweight. The stock is inlet for a Proof Sendero but I will be using a new CF wrapped Bartlein #4 which is a bit smaller than a Proof barrel but overall it fits fine. The bottom metal is inlet for a standard bdl or Hawkins which I will be using. It came with adjustable pillars installed and action screws and also a tube of Loctite so really a nice stock. I think it will work great for a ultra or lightweight build. Sorry for the poor quality pics but thats the best I could get this evening.

My proof elevation came with this stock .... but it’s very slightly crooked with the end of the barrel .... did you have any issues like this ?

Posted this build on some of the Defiance action threads already... I am super happy with the Proof Stock. When I got it, I thought the palm swell was too small the overall feel felt too skinny. Was totally wrong... when I put the rifle together it feels great in a lot of different shooting positions. Been hitting steel out to 800 yds with it. Is it the same feel as my Mesa or McMillans? Not at all, but very shootable for an ultralight stock. This will likely be my go to rifle for most of my time in the field in Alaska.

Proof said no bedding needed, but I bedded the recoil lug with some Marine Tex because you could feel some slop in there.

View attachment 266872
How streight is your barrel? Mine is ever so slightly crooked ... probably 1/16 inch maby a little more

OP
Oregonmuley
My proof elevation came with this stock .... but it’s very slightly crooked with the end of the barrel .... did you have any issues like this ?
On both of my builds its seems to be fine and centered in the barrel channel. I have a Bartlein #4 CF wrapped barrel on both which is a bit smaller contour than the Proof barrel but it looks fine IMHO.

On both of my builds its seems to be fine and centered in the barrel channel. I have a Bartlein #4 CF wrapped barrel on both which is a bit smaller contour than the Proof barrel but it looks fine IMHO.

okay thanks ! idk how to post pictures, I think I'm just being picky, it free floats 100% and is only slightly off

I put a CA Ridgeline in a Proof stock over a year ago and saved ~12 ounces. Really happy with the stock and would definitely buy another one.

AE5BE1FB-676D-46B1-B4A5-4183E7E371C8.jpeg

79E2FB5E-5B5C-4CF7-BDB3-C79984C63841.jpeg

Last edited:

Is it just the picture ? The brown stock looks like there is more space on the right side of the barrrel channel

OP
Oregonmuley
Its just the picture - I was standing on the right side sort of over the rifle but not exactly over it so it makes it look like the left is a bit less than the right but it is centered. Sorry my photo skills aren't that great ;)

Its just the picture - I was standing on the right side sort of over the rifle but not exactly over it so it makes it look like the left is a bit less than the right but it is centered. Sorry my photo skills aren't that great ;)
Lol just was curious , thanks

DuckDogDr

WKR

View attachment 266872
What caliber did you go with

Supertrucker

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping this to find out where one goes to purchase a Proof Elevation stock? Can’t find anything on the website.