Proper tent stakes for supertarp?

FlyGuy

WKR
I recently acquired a 2nd hand Supertarp and i'm looking for advice on tent stakes. I've got a few different types of MSR stakes. (Pictured: Groundhog, groundhog mini, and Needle stakes) I don't really know if there is there a general "rule of thumb" for the circumstances for use on each type?

I'm planning to use Supertarp for (A) solo backpacking or (B) to have in the day pack when there is a reasonable chance that I (either solo or with a partner) may get into elk and decide not come back out to the truck camp for a night or two. For either scenario I obviously want to keep weight down, but after my last night in Wyoming with 40-60mph winds I'm wanting to put some thought into this decision.

Anyone used these needle pegs? Any feedback is appreciated.

What do you think about just using the mini's all around for the ST? Or, 4 regular Groundhogs for the main corners and the rest mini's?

Or, 4 mini's and the rest needles? Would that just be asking for trouble?

795b3ce3e6ab13706cfe6210430da46d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would think the 4 big ones on the corners and the minis everywhere else. The needles just may not have enough purchase if you are in weather.

I always used stakes I made out of carbon arrow shafts I find in the woods every season.I epoxy about a 1" piece of alum. gutter nail i one end an alum. insert and the lightest field tip I can find in the other end

ljalberta

WKR
Groundhogs are my go-to. I used a MountainSmith LT this year sheep hunting and used mostly groundhog stakes with MSR needle stakes for additional (non-essential) guy-outs. The needle stakes are great for that purpose, however the holding power, especially in soft soil is definitely lacking compared to the groundhogs. If you're going somewhere you can expect high winds, such as above alpine, then it's worth the minimal weight penalty to carry a few more stakes with good holding power.

I don't have any experience with the Supertarp but I do have a fair amount of experience with floorless shelters. Obviously a non-free standing floorless shelter is only as good as the stakes that keep it attached to the ground, that being said, I agree with what RosinBag says. For your corner stakes I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything better than the long (I think they're around 10" in length), MSR Cyclone stakes. They may be a bit over kill for most conditions, but if you want to be guaranteed that your stakes aren't going to pull free and your shelter fly away in a big blow, the Cyclones are what you want. For the rest of the stakes the mini's have also worked very well for me. If you look on Amazon you can find some knock-off Cyclones for a lot cheaper than the MSR's and I think they work just as well. Another thing to take into consideration is, if you do experience a big blow coupled with heavy rain, you'll probably want to secure your shelter tight to the ground with very little to no gap between the ground and the shelter. When pitched this way, all the water that falls on the shelter runs right down and soaks into the ground where your perimeter stakes are and causes the ground to get saturated much faster. This, coupled with heavy winds will create much more stress/holding issues around the perimeter, and that's when you'll really appreciate having the Cyclones.

BCSteel

FNG
I use a tarp for all my solo camping and for me, Groundhog stakes are where it's at. I've never had one bend or break and they always hold tight. I carry 4 regular and 4 mini and if I need more stakes I make my own from wood on sight.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

jmden

WKR
DAC Tent Stakes, 6 Pack

If these will work, they are a good choice. Made by DAC, who makes most of the top of the line tent poles, they are very strong, lightweight and they stack for compactness in your pack. Have used them for years with a TarpTent Rainbow. That being said, they would not be my choice in heavy weather. The MSR Groundhog or Cyclone would be better choices, all dependent of staking soil--that's huge. Non of these, though made of the very strong 7075-T6 aluminum, are good choices in super rocky terrain. Every stake is compromise of some type...

Another to consider is the SMC Mountaineering Stake series. They have three sizes that all nest are are made of 7075 so are very strong. The smallest size is quite small, similar to the groundhog mini. But the other two sizes are quite large. The larger size is probably 14" long and will have a huge purchase, good for use in snow, sand or light soils. Anyway, some others to consider.

Ozz08

WKR
I've been using a megatarp for around 5 years. After messing with a couple different types of stakes the first year, the last four I have used 5 of the longer groundhogs. 4 for the main staking points and 1 for the front guy line. For the rest I've used 6" or 7" ultralight titanium shepards hook stakes. I was concerned with the holding power at first but I've been in some nasty weather above treeline at least a few times a year and everything has always held tight.